Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior bonding metal/plastic

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006 | 01:21 PM
mini552
|
4th Gear
bonding metal/plastic

Hey guys - this isn't about my '06 Cooper, but I thought I might find the answer I need here. I also have a 2000 Audi A4. The area surrounding the transmission lever is a flat black plastic material, and over the years became quite dull/scratched etc. An outfit called Landspeed sells a perfectly sized aluminum shift plate that is a pretty good match for my dash trim. It installs with 2 sided 3m tape. As I feared a portion of the aluminum plate is already lifting up after only a week or two. I'd like to avoid trying to peel up the rest of it. Is there an adhesive that effectively bonds aluminum to plastic? If there is, I can slip a few drops under the plate in the area in question and get a good, permanent seal. Don't want to experiment with superglue, etc. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-13-2006 | 01:26 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear
All-Purpose GOOP or a dab of JB-Wekd (although the JB-Weld is probably overkill)

Old 09-13-2006 | 01:35 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
THere are two main types of plastic that you'll find on the interior of cars these days: polypropylene (PP), and ABS (or ABS-polycarbonate blend). If the plastic is PP, there is no good adhesive that gives stong bonds without some drastic surface treatment like corona, flame, plasma, etc. If the plastic is ABS, you might get away with a moisture cured urethane like Gorilla glue.

The problem is that if the 2-sided tape didn't stick, the surface probably needs to be cleaned before using any glue, and this means even in the best situation you'd have to take off the metal piece. If it were me, I'd remove the piece, take off the old tape, clean up & maybe sand the plastic piece, then re-stick with new tape.

Old 09-13-2006 | 04:08 PM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Try contact cement. Apply to both surfaces and let dry. Then press together. Be sure it is aligned right, you only have one choice.

If that does not work, then epoxy will. Also a product called 5200 by 3M (sold in marinas). Once it is on only the end of the world will take it off.