Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior While @ the Dragon this weekend... Rear View Mirror help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:06 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While @ the Dragon this weekend... Rear View Mirror help?

While I was @ the Dragon this weekend - I constantly had to duck my head to see anything out of the right side of my windshield! Has anyone else had this issue?

I tried removing the mirror, just for the day while I was driving the twisties - but it had a large strand of wires running thru the middle of it.

I'm thinking of doing 1 of 2 things, and wondered if anyone else has done these, or something different?
  1. Remove the mirror - & put some kinda quick disconnect on the strand of wires to make it much easier next time @ the Dragon.
  2. Get some smaller mirror?
BTW - I have nothing special on my rear view mirror - I do have the rain sensor though. Has anyone tackled this issue?

Old 09-28-2006, 01:35 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I've heard about others that just pulled off the mirror for the duration of their Dragon drive, and I know others that remove them while they Autocross... but I wouldn't be able to because the mirror dangles from wires after being uncapped. What exactly are those wires FOR if you don't have a compass or anything else on the rear-view? I assume they're there for the fanciar options like self-darkening mirrors, so can those wires be clipped if you just have a non-powered mirror unit?

Old 09-28-2006, 01:42 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm 6'4" and that huge rear view mirror is a serious PITA. Unfortunately, I've got all of the electronics and gagetry on Jango, so I would have to figure out some sort of quick disconnect. I saw someone w/ a Lotus who had a tiny little aftermarket rear view mirror so he still had one, but it was just much smaller.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:59 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, come to think about it, I've got those wires in my mirror housing as well. I don't have the garage door opener, auto darkening, or any thing special going on up there. So what are those wires for any how?
I hate the mirror! On my other cars I can fold the mirror all the way up to get it out of the way. On the MINI I guess no such design thought process.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Dunno if it's physically possible, but maybe swap mirrors with someone who has an '04 or earlier? Those mirrors are a lot smaller!

-Paul!

Old 09-28-2006, 02:07 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Personally the rear-view is the only thing I dislike about the cabrio... OK, that and the whole dome light assembly, honestly.

Is that triangle-shaped mounting bracket thing something that's also used on aftermarket cars? Because, honestly, I'm seriously considering clipping all those %$#@! wires and replacing the oval thing with something more sleek. I know I'll never add the garage door opener or auto-darkening mirrors...

Old 09-28-2006, 02:10 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Probably a new thread on this would be in order here with a more topic specific title like "%$#@! wires and replacing the oval thing". I'll leave that to someone else though.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
There is finally an advantage to being a short fat guy Seriously, the mirror originally was in my view until I started driving with the seat back tilted rearward and positioned back as far as possible while still touching the pedals. It works!

Old 09-28-2006, 02:18 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.sector111.com/handler.cfm...nction=product

For the Lotus, which uses a strange shoe fitting for the mirror... I wish we had a similar product!

Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Effing HELL. I can't find ANY aftermarket Mini mirrors like that. I'd love a brushed aluminum one like that. ((( pout ))...

Old 09-28-2006, 05:40 PM
90STX
5th Gear
Waylen would know, but I think the receiver for the keyfob is in the mirror. Might not be too good an idea to remove it.

I'm 6'3", so it's in my way too. I sit with the seat lowered all the way, which I would do even without a mirror problem. For autocrossing, I angle the mirror away from me so that if I looked at it I would see only the side of the mirror housing, which is the smallest profile.

Scott
90SM

Old 09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
I don't have the garage door opener, auto dimming mirrors, etc in my mirror either. When I started to pull it down - I was shocked to see wires attached???

......While @ the Dragon last weekend...I went so far as to remove the dome light assembly in an attempt to find some quick disconnect type place within the headliner....no luck.

However... I looked again tonight and found it... (I know...everybody else prob knew already...)

If you twist the rear view mirror off of the windshield - you'll have it dangling. It has 2 plastic pieces on either side of the mount- these just pull right apart (you can use a small flat screwdriver) - it's quick. You'll be left with a metal post that connects the mirror to the windshield mount (see picture). In the TOP of this, is a quick disconnect (see other picture)- sqeeze the sides and pull and the mirror will be free from the windshield.

Two things I'm not sure about... (btw-I dont have any electronics in my mirrir either..)
(a) What is the hole on the back (faces the front of the car) of the mirror - passenger side?
(b) I'm thinking about tucking that little quick disconnect all the way up in my dome light assembly...so I can quickly disconnect my mirror if/when I need to ----- anyone see a problem with this? What the heck is the quick disconnect for anyway?

Old 09-28-2006, 05:59 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
Hmmmm....I DID start the car after I disconnected the mirror - and didn't seem to get any errors... ?

I did NOT however, check to see if the keyfob worked... If I get a little more time I may try it... (or if anyone else wants to jump in and try - let us know! )

Old 09-28-2006, 08:31 PM
SB
6th Gear
Don't waste your time on an earlier model year mirror. I have the same problem in my 06 as I did in my 03 on the Dragon. Going through some of those right handers you're basically starring at yourself in the mirror.

I always pulled my 03 mirror down. I've yet to do it in the 06 because of the wires mentioned. When I get a chance. I may use your method of disconnecting the wires and tucking them out of the way so I can easily pull the mirror.

I have no idea why I have wires either or what they may be for. I have no options that I know of which would call for them.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:42 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Calling all vendors! This is definitely an opportunity to make some sales. A small stylish mirror which would hold the current electrons and fold out of the way. In my cabrio there is just a tiny portion of the mirror which shows anything to me beside the inside of the car. My driiving solution is to move my body far to the left and crane my neck.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:02 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Yay Puppet! Thanks for the pics too.

+1 to BlueBonnet's vendor request. Make it fold at the windshield so you can really move it up high and out of the way for day-to-day driving and easily removable like the current mounting method (sans dangly wires). Oh and make the night mode better too! I'll buy one.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:53 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Well, the cabrio has a orange light behind the mirror that lights the face of the dash too. Any yes, I find the mirror gets in the way on the Dragon and some local twistys and turns as well.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:57 AM
findude
4th Gear
I'm 6'2" and the mirror is always in the way. Frankly, I'd be happier if it were mounted on the dash like they did in some of the old British sports cars.

I'll second the request for vendor solutions--whoever comes up with one that works on my 06 MCS (integrated garage door opener in the mirror) will get my money.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:56 AM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
mm, I think the orange light projects down, not from the mirror, but instead from the dome light assembly.
In my 1st picture, you can see the hole I am talking about - it's on the back of the mirror...but it faces the front of the car.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:58 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
I've got the Union Jack mirror cover and it has a cutout for the little hole on the back - must be important for someone or something. Maybe the auto lights? The little button, pop-up thingy in the middle of the dash near the windshield is for the climate control, not the auto lights so thats not it.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SB
Don't waste your time on an earlier model year mirror. I have the same problem in my 06 as I did in my 03 on the Dragon. Going through some of those right handers you're basically starring at yourself in the mirror. ...
Huh, I have an '04 and never had an issue going through twisties, including the Dragon.

...Then again, I'm only 5' 6", and tend to drive with the seat almost all the way lowered, so that may have something to do with it!

-Paul!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Wesmonster
3rd Gear
Tuck those wires...

If I remember correctly, there was an earlier post on the same subject and someone had posted a detailed writeup on removing the rear view mirror and placing the remote key sensor in the headliner. But I've yet to see any aftermarket replacement for the OEM mirror, other than the type that glue to the front windshield. In my cabrio I can only use the center third of my mirror, the rest is just a view of the rear head rests, so I'd love to find a round type replacement mirror.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:24 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
I've been searching for that write up ever since your post....I'm still looking...can't seem to find it(?)

Old 01-21-2007, 07:53 AM
indymcsc
1st Gear
Any luck with a solution to this yet? The rear view mirror has been bothering my ever since I got my MCSC.

I was hoping for something (a smaller mirror) that would help.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Early cars with no auto-dimming mirror have no wiring run to the mirror. Newer cars (I think '04+) have moved the receiver for the keyless entry from the area above the headliner to inside of the mirror housing. This helped the range of the keyless entry and made more room for the airbag sensors overhead which were not there in the earlier cars.

All mirrors have some form of disconnect. Older ones with auto dimming have the connector right at the top of the mount. Newer ones have to have the trim pieces removed (like in the above pix) to access the wiring connector.

And, yes, I do find the mirror does get in the way at certain angles and situations as well.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior While @ the Dragon this weekend... Rear View Mirror help?