Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hamann Performance fog lights - anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:18 AM
tri650
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hamann Performance fog lights - anyone?

I see these advertised regularly on eBay - at only $55. It seems too good to be true. Anyone purchase a set of these? Opinions?

Old 10-05-2006, 07:32 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For that price you can get several types of Hella lights on Amazon.com, which would be guaranteed by their awesome customer service. With eBay, well, who knows? I don't know anyone that runs Hammann lights (but there are hopefully some here that do and can comment), but I can confirm that the Hella's quality seems great so far.

Is there something specific about the Hammann lights that appeals to you, or were you drawn to them because of the price? If there's something unique about the lights themselves, maybe we can help you find a model that has those same characteristics.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Old 10-05-2006, 09:46 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Funny I was looking at those Hammann on ebay also. Hey ImagoX, what kind of lights do you have?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I run the Hella Optilux 2500 series because I wanted a small unit for bonnet mounting with the ring-light "angel eyes" effect and because the entire back side of the unit is black. SInce the lights sit at the end ofthe bonnet stripes, the black ties them in visually very nicely (better than chrome, IMHO, particularly since I also blacked out the grill slats). I did have to re-do the mounting bracket, though, to fit on a bonnet mount, but I'm EXTREMELY happy with the results...

Old 10-05-2006, 12:28 PM
tri650
1st Gear
I was just looking at them due to price - vs. the factory price. I have not looked at many other options, so I am open to any other suggestions. Plus, I will be mounting them myself.

I want the lights for two reasons - I think they look really cool on a mini, plus I have about a 3 mile drive home off of the highway and I go through a densly wooded area. Deer are a major nuisance, so any additional illumination is definately a plus. Scares the crap out of me to ride my motorcycle at dusk because the rats on stilts are everywhere - and moving across the road without any warning.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure Hamann has never made foglights....

Certainly never listed on their website...and i could never really see them actually producing foglights, it's not really their thing.

Sounds like some cheap ebay brand fogs....thumbs down

Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tri650
I see these advertised regularly on eBay - at only $55. It seems too good to be true. Anyone purchase a set of these? Opinions?
You get what you pay for.

I good set of fogs start around $150.

eBay ...

Old 10-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
You get what you pay for.

I good set of fogs start around $150.

eBay ...
He's right....for the most part, ebay mods are a bad idea. They tend to be rather tacky in style and have very poor performance.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Ords
6th Gear
My Cibie's for the pair were $200.

I looked at those a while back myself, sent of couple of questions about how many specifically were sold online to MINI drivers and such to this date I have never received a reply back.

That was good enough for me not to purchase them.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:31 AM
trackster
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think somebody is using the Hamman name. They have never done lights from what i've known off them in the last 5 years.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:27 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the money, the Hella 500's I got were the best deal.

They come in either driving or fog, and in clear or amber, in either light configuration.

About $65 at Summit. Add some brackets and your all set!

Old 10-06-2006, 06:09 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
I run the Hella Optilux 2500 series because I wanted a small unit for bonnet mounting with the ring-light "angel eyes" effect and because the entire back side of the unit is black. SInce the lights sit at the end ofthe bonnet stripes, the black ties them in visually very nicely (better than chrome, IMHO, particularly since I also blacked out the grill slats). I did have to re-do the mounting bracket, though, to fit on a bonnet mount, but I'm EXTREMELY happy with the results...

Do you have any pics of your install. Close ups of the mounting.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:32 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I do - let me reformat them for the web and I'll put them up. Really all I did, though was purchase a set of bonnet mount brakets from Outmotoring, and mounted them to those. Since the Hellas are so small, they fit perfectly and do not bounce at all. I'm working on a How-to installation guide for the brackets.

As for the lights themselces, I also have some pics of the install - I had it done at one of Outmotoring's monthly MODfests, but honestly, watchig them to them I'm pretty sure I could have done it by myself. I ran the wires up inside the inside of the bonnet and under the "blanket" covering the inner surface of the bonnet, leading the wires around to the driver's side. The relay, fuse and extra wire length is zip-tied into a bundle and is tucked into a hollow space in the bonnet, and the wires are zip-tied inside a peice of split-loom sheathing material to the existing wires that run along the driver's side bonnet strut to make them look better and to protect them. The nut just beneath the white zip tie you see here is the driver's side grounding strap:

then I simply followed the wring diagram that came with the lights to hook up the switch, which is in the cabin.

Oh, big PS - check the lights' functions BEFORE doing a lot of work tucking and hiding wires. It would suck to get everything all nice and clean, only to have to yank everything out afterwards to check your connections.