Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior OEM Euro Arm Rest Install - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006 | 11:02 AM
MINIBee
|
6th Gear
OEM Euro Arm Rest Install - HELP!

Went to install my new Euro arm rest today and discovered that it's more complicated than I thought.

My 2006 cabrio has the arm rest that came with the premium package. It looks nice but the storage area is pretty much useless. That's why I want to install the Euro arm rest.

I thought the stock arm rest would just come out easily but it looks like I'll need additional parts to make things right. The black plastic handbrake console is cut out to accommodate the arm rest. If I remove it there will be a big hole there. Do I have to replace that whole handbrake console to get this done? Anyone ever done this?

There is a step by step on outmotoring but it's for the retrofit and it looks different.

HELP!

Old 10-10-2006 | 03:50 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
I don't know if this is much help, but I recently took out my Euro arm rest ( For sale BTW) and because it is made to go around the original ebrake console unless you are prepared to live with holes and gaps etc, you may want to replace the ebrake console as well, the Euro one won't be affected either way as it only mounts to the seat mount bolts very easy to put and and out. This way you could sell the oem armrest complete with ebrake console.Good luck.

PS Sounds like a lot of expense just to gain a couple more inches of storage space

Old 10-10-2006 | 03:55 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
How much for the euro armrest? Do ya know if it will work in a GP?

Old 10-10-2006 | 04:58 PM
MINIBee
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ovrezee
PS Sounds like a lot of expense just to gain a couple more inches of storage space
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, it is starting to look like it will be a lot more trouble than planned. The extra space to store stuff is pretty premium in the MINI, and especially the cabrio. And although the other arm rest looks nice it just isn't very functional as an arm rest or for storage.

I guess I'll have to decide if I want to go to the trouble of replacing the emergency brake console or not. I had planned to sell the original arm rest so what you're suggesting makes sense. I can just sell it as a complete unit and at least make it easier for the other person.

And I can always sell the Euro arm rest. They are hard to get and MINI just banned their export for dealers, so they will be even more dificult to find soon.

Old 10-11-2006 | 07:04 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
The center (handbrake) console is not very expensive. I can get it for 22$ from my dealer.

I just retrofitted the OEM armrest in my 03 MINI and i love it. Installation went great...

Old 10-11-2006 | 07:15 AM
MINIBee
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
The center (handbrake) console is not very expensive. I can get it for 22$ from my dealer.

I just retrofitted the OEM armrest in my 03 MINI and i love it. Installation went great...
Thanks for the reply.

Did you have to get the upper console piece and the lower mounting plate too? From the OEM exploded diagrams it looks like the mounting plate is different.

Old 10-11-2006 | 09:33 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_Bee
Thanks for the reply.

Did you have to get the upper console piece and the lower mounting plate too? From the OEM exploded diagrams it looks like the mounting plate is different.
Yes, the lower mounting plate is different but I think you can use it with an "armrest-less" center console (don't look in your dictionary, this word does not exist)

Old 10-11-2006 | 11:14 AM
MINIBee
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS

I'm having a hard time finding the regular ebrake console (the one without the OEM arm rest). I need the one with the hole for the flat tire reset switch. Does your dealer have that console? If so, can you get one for me? If I can't find that part it looks like I'll have a Euro arm rest for sale.