Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior New Project: Xenon Driving Lights !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:08 PM
sa3dos
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Project: Xenon Driving Lights !!

I am a big fan of having the Driving Lights on my MINI, the only problem is: everytime I remember that the OEM ones don't come in Xenon, I change my mind about them (not interested in blue-type bulbs that look like xenon)

After some digging, I found that I could buy the Xenon Kit and attach it to the Driving Lights.. I found people sellings lots of xenon kits on ebay and for a wide range of Bulb-types.

My concern: Did anyone think of this idea before? is there any technical problems I will face by doing this (Heat problems maybe)?

Last, I am having a hard time determining the exact Bulb-Type for the Driving Lights!!

In the How-To instructions here, page 20, it says: H3-55W
www.sylvania.com indicates: H11-55W

Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 PM
jkjersey
1st Gear
I too am curious what bulb type the driving lights use.

Now are we talking about the bottom bumper driving lights or the 2 circle rally-esque lights in the middle of the grill. Which one?

Old 10-10-2006, 03:22 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do not waste your time with eBay crap.

If you want true Xenon Driving lights, go here http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...enon/Xenon.jsp

The FF200s are a popular size for MINIs and are now HIDs.

PIAA also sells some but more expensive

best of luck

Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not get the OEM Driving Lights and then these!

Driving Light Bulbs H3
Special replacement bulbs for the MINI Driving lights (Part# 63 12 0 144 132) to match the color of the optional Xenon lights. Price does not include installation.
Item # 63 17 0 412 647
MSRP: $22.50

http://www.parts.com/partlocator/ind...catalogid=3751

OR

Do they not match the Xenon Lights like they say? The picture looks like the match but I'd say it depends on what it looks like on the road from Driver's View. I don't know cause I don't have Xenon Headlight Light or the H3 Bulbs in my Driving Lights, but its worth a shoot.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:36 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
Hella makes a set of Xenon driving lamps that should fit the MINI- look for model FF200 Xenon. This vendor's page also lists a stainless steel bracket kit, so you can choose the lamp set (bulb type, color, beam pattern) to suit your individual preference.

Please, for street use, avoid doing a bulb conversion on housings designed to utilize halogen bulbs. Daniel Stern Does explains why here- and does so in such a manner that it's better just to post the link to his article than to paraphrase.

I considered using the Hellas, since the optics should be properly engineered for HID bulbs, but in the end opted not to go with them (or any other HID aux lamps) for another reason: I read in a few places that HID bulbs suffer from shortened service life if extinguished and restarted frequently (more than 1-2x per hour on a regular basis.) Although the deer population glut near my home makes auxiliary lighting an attractive proposition, I would still need to drop to low beams fairly frequently due to oncoming traffic. If I do get a set of aux driving lights, most likely I will opt for halogens, which fare better than HIDs when subjected to frequent power cycling.

(Please note- I have no affiliation with the vendor(s), manufacturer(s), or other parties whose links are displayed in this post.)

Last edited by indygomini; 10-10-2006 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added note regarding bulb longevity concern
Old 10-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Hmm I believe he already HAS the standard MINI Driving Lights and wants to add HIDs as the bulbs. What he will need is a conversion kit, NOT NEW DRIVING LIGHTS.

From experience use either McCulloch or Hella. I've heard better things about McCulloch. My bro had Hella's and they were great till they gave out just over a year after install (Professionally installed so it wasn't the install). The McCulloch's go for about 290 on eBay, make sure their COMPLETE McCulloch kits cause there are some kits put together with McCulloch bulbs but different ballasts and igniters.

FWIW, I will be buying McCulloch 6000k bulbs for my factory HIDs and a McCulloch 6000k H11 Kit for the bumper fog lights. My sister is putting McCulloch HIDs on her B7 A4 as well.

Best of Luck!

EDIT

Driving Lights are meant to be used with High Beams which are meant to be used with no cars in front of you and no oncoming traffic. No harm will be done to anyone and there is no danger in it. Albeit he won't get 100% potential from the HIDs he'll get close enough. Therefore, cut the Daniel Stern crap out...

Old 10-10-2006, 03:41 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 02///MCS

Therefore, cut the Daniel Stern crap out...
No actually its illegal and advocating breaking the law is against NAM policy. This HID wannabe kits are both dangerous (per Daniel Stern) and are "illegal" for a reason.

If you want HID, then BUY HIDs. Going the cheap way is not the answer as you will get MUCH better light from a true HID reflector rather than using the Halogen reflectors

Why be a "wannabe" when you can have the real thingimpatient:impatient

Old 10-10-2006, 03:45 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
If he already has the OEM Driving Lights then he would just need the H3 Bulbs MINI sells for the OEM Driving Lights. What I originally posted. Only 22.50 which I don't find to be a bad price but I don't have Xenon Headlights so I don't need 'em. But I feel thats what he is looking for.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Chows - Official "nam-patrol"

What makes an HID is the fact that is uses a ballast and the bulb type is different and makes for a greater light output, not the housing. Back in the day, the housing were the same. I DO HAVE FACTORY XENONS, I'm not cheap. Find me a direct replacement for the fogs with a projector housing and I'll consider it. What makes an HID housing much better is the projector, if it don't got one, it won't be sooooo much better to be worth the extra cash. It's not about being cheap, it's about benefit over cost.

And it is also illegal to buy ANY aftermarket HIDs, whether it be just a conversion kit (which are the real thing, not fake xenon-look bullshyt) or a complete kit with housing.

Therefore, you too are advocating using illegal shyt on the street which is against NAM policy. Man you would think that with all the reading you did of all the NAM guidelines/policies you would bother to read the laws/regulations in the US. Go cry to the mods now...

Old 10-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Go cry to the mods now...
Sometimes the mods are watching anyway.

Guys, please keep the tone friendly, or the thread will have to be locked. That's all I'm going to say.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:30 PM
One-D
2nd Gear
I'm not a big proponent of HID driving lights for on-road use. The cycling of the ballast isn't good for the life of the ballast.

What I mean by cycling? Driving lights on... oncoming uptraffic approaches, highs/driving off, then traffic passes and high/driving back on, and so on.

If you want to try it out.... that's your decision.

BTW, if you want small, decrete HID driving lighs, Hella makes the Micro DE Xenon--- not exact cheap though

Old 10-10-2006, 04:36 PM
chows4us
6th Gear

And it is also illegal to buy ANY aftermarket HIDs, whether it be just a conversion kit (which are the real thing, not fake xenon-look bullshyt) or a complete kit with housing.
ALL HID conversion kits ... yes all are illegal. I can point out numerous references. Here is but one example of a crackdown http://www.dot.gov/affairs/nhtsa4304.htm

I never said do a HID conversion. I said if you want auxiliary driving lights (NOT HEADLIGHTS) try Hella. They are legal to buy ... for off road use only.

Every reputable dealer will always add that caveat:impatient

Old 10-10-2006, 05:01 PM
sa3dos
1st Gear
I just checked the FF200 by Hella, it looks like it’s made from high-quality material, but I would like to see pictures from users and their feedbacks regarding quality and resistance to rust!

About the OEM replacement bulbs, I’ve never seen one of those, I could consider that an option too.

Maybe I didn’t make it clear enough, I wanted to buy the OEM lights, but I didn’t because they do not match the Xenons of the car, plus the dealer claimed no option for replacement bulbs, maybe I will go again and provide the part number given by MNEEME and see if they could order them

Old 10-10-2006, 05:13 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
It could be because you are in Canada. I'm assuming you go to MINI Mont Royal. And I searched there inventory/accessories on there webpage and I couldn't find anything. I wonder how much it would be to ship some in from a US Dealer. Good Luck and I would be willing to order 'em for ya and ship 'em to ya. If ya can't get a hold of 'em.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sa3dos
Maybe I didn’t make it clear enough, I wanted to buy the OEM lights, but I didn’t because they do not match the Xenons of the car...
Just curious...why does it matter if they match the xenons? The only time you would not use your driving lights is when your headlights are on high beam & low beam is the only time your headlights are xenon

Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
sa3dos
1st Gear
Thanks a lot MNEEME, I will let you know if I need to.

bamatt, i am going to connect the driving lights as my High-Lights,, by disconnecting the current High-Lights. This way, anytime I want to turn the driving lights on, I would just pull on the stick.. thats why, during night time, I want it to match the headlights. During day time, I will not have any lights on,, not even the DRL (am disconnecting them the same time I connect the driving lights).. i know thats not legal,, but trust me, everything in my car is not legal,, lol

Old 10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Sometimes the mods are watching anyway.

Guys, please keep the tone friendly, or the thread will have to be locked. That's all I'm going to say.
OK, will do.

Originally Posted by chows4us
ALL HID conversion kits ... yes all are illegal. I can point out numerous references. Here is but one example of a crackdown http://www.dot.gov/affairs/nhtsa4304.htm

I never said do a HID conversion. I said if you want auxiliary driving lights (NOT HEADLIGHTS) try Hella. They are legal to buy ... for off road use only.

Every reputable dealer will always add that caveat:impatient
Off-Road use only means ILLEGAL for on-road use. Which is what you're suggesting. All I'm going to say is don't attack an idea and propose an EQUALLY illegal solution. 'Nuff said.

Well, to answer your question. Since you don't already have the OEM Driving Lights, I would go with the Hella's that Chows4us recommended. Good Luck! Oh and post pics when your done!

Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM
sa3dos
1st Gear

Well, to answer your question. Since you don't already have the OEM Driving Lights, I would go with the Hella's that Chows4us recommended.
I want to get the Hella's, but you said your brother had them for a year and they gave out !

Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sa3dos
I want to get the Hella's, but you said your brother had them for a year and they gave out !
Yeah he got a conversion kit for his low-beams though. And I have heard very good things about Hella from other people. With every company there are always defected products, just bad luck I guess. And it was just the bulbs that gave out, he still uses the conversion kit ballast n igniter today.

Also, if you buy them from an authorized dealer it will be warrantied so you should be fine. You always run a risk when going aftermarket, sometimes even with OEM products. Good Luck.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really?....any links to the law pertaining to that?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:31 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Off-Road use only means ILLEGAL for on-road use. Which is what you're suggesting. All I'm going to say is don't attack an idea and propose an EQUALLY illegal solution. 'Nuff said.
02 ... Just to clarify this, because it was getting hazy to me too, I looked up the laws.

DOT, specifically the NHSTA within DOT, sets all motor vehicle standards for the US. One of the regulations covers headlights.

It is ILLEGAL to do ANY HID conversion (with out without new reflectors) on any car on a US public roads unless installed at the factory. In fact, if you go to most Internet store selling HID conversions and read their FAQ, they will tell you they are illegal.

Pure and simple ... the answer is no.

NHSTA does NOT regulate fog lights or auxiliary lights. States regulate auxiliary lighting and each state is different. Just go to your stated Dept of Transportation and look up motor vehicle equipment laws. Usually they refer to the NHSTA for headlights. However, they can make laws such as: Fogs can be no lower than 12" and no higher than 18" off the ground ... and my favorite ... No more than four headlamps may be on at any time.

I know by reading my state's laws there are NO references to Xenon auxiliary lighting. Most likely because they are behind the times. Therefore, something like Hella FF200s Xenons Driving Lights ARE LEGAL here.

Just trying to clear up all this confusion.

Bottom line. You can't touch your headlights. Most likely, you can add Xenon auxiliary lighting. However, Hella and PIAA FAQs will add the caveat to covers themselves about being for off-road use only (ALL their driving lights and check local laws).

So the question becomes, how do these Internet vendors and eBay sellers get away with selling HID conversions.

First, people complain to DOT. They investigate and have shut down many. However, there is NO law against selling the item ... only using them.

Its like you buy a six inch hunting knife. Perfectly legal to sell and own. However, you don't have the right (in many states) to carry it concealed. Same with Mace, pepper spray ... depending upon laws

So you can buy whatever you want off of eBay but that doesn't mean you can legally use it. You can also go to the NHSTA website and see the long list of complaints made about HID conversions.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Gotcha. Dunno why I thought I remembered reading that it was just plain illegal no matter what. Thanks for clarifying. Does the HID Conversion apply to headlights only or could you mess around with the foglights/auxiliary lighting?

Originally Posted by chows4us
Fogs can be no lower than 12" and no higher than 18" off the ground ...
Haha, does that mean that dropping your MINI too much could have you in trouble?

Old 10-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Trip024
4th Gear
I just ordered the MINI Driving Light Bulbs H3 that MNeeme mentioned from my local dealership. I should have it in the next couple of days but I was wondering if there are other bulbs out there that will fit w/ the OEM driving lights as my biggest concern is that the bulbs will turn out blue when they are off thus showing through the lamps (I know...I know!)

I have my parking lights and fog lights matching my xenons and so the next step is to get my high beam and driving lights xenofied. Any bulb recommendations for both?? (h-beams and driving). Thanks!

I know that some of you guys dont approve but its what I want to do

Old 10-12-2006, 01:52 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Really?....any links to the law pertaining to that?
Here is but one example of Many of a dealer selling HID conversions ... buried in their FAQ http://www.xenondepot.com/faq.php#q11

NO XENON HID conversion kit available from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. Moreover, in the U.S, this is not street legal for use on public roads. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes

You can also read: http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html

Letters of interpretation of the law.

Gotcha. Dunno why I thought I remembered reading that it was just plain illegal no matter what. Thanks for clarifying. Does the HID Conversion apply to headlights only or could you mess around with the foglights/auxiliary lighting?

Haha, does that mean that dropping your MINI too much could have you in trouble?
Headlight conversion only. DOT does NOT regulate auxiliary lighting. State laws do!

As to fogs, you are correct!!! Our state says:

(b) Fog lamps.- Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not more than 30 inches nor less than 12 inches above the level surface on which the vehicle stands

I had my fogs (FF200s) installed at a BMW independent shop. The owner had no problem adding them. However, it made it clear that there was a state inspector there (cars must be inspected only on resale ... you sell your car ... you have to get it inspected) and he said that it would NOT pass inspection for either the FOGS or the DRIVING LIGHTS (MINI OEM). The fogs were obvious.... I now had two sets (OEM and aftermarket) but did not understand about the MINI OEM driving lights.

The law says:

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not more than 42 inches nor less than 16 inches above the level surface on which the vehicle stands.

I argued that they came from the factory like that and they said it didn't matter. They were illegal. The only thing I could think of was they wer less than 16" from the ground but that was not true since they were on the upper grille