Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior In the name of Euro

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006 | 09:06 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Euro to me means a few things...

1.) Anti-chrome (painted black or body color) the reason for this is to make it more simple and sleek rather than having $blingbling$

2.) Stretched tires on a small diameter wheel (normally no larger than a 17, more commonly 15-16's) that are very wide. Normally producing a large outer "lip" on the wheel.

3.) CF...you may disagree but CF is a big part of euro. CF trim (replacing chrome), interior pieces, body panels, seats...ect

4.) Mostly stock apperance to the outside body. Meaning, no giant vents, wings, crazy over done body kits. Most body kits if any, resemble that of the factory design with very slight changes. Often to help make the look of the car alot more simple. Alot of the CF body panels if used, become painted in body color. Mostly used for lightening rather than showing off their CF pieces. Fender flares are also common due to the very wide wheels used in this style.

My examples:

painted bumpers in body color, removal of chrome.

CF flared fenders/hood/deck lid/running boards/bumpers/head light rings/side mirrors.

lots of CF pieces in the engine bay.

Just thought I would throw in some old school Euro (aka: German look) cars.

Old 10-23-2006 | 09:08 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
i agree...although i think the black out thing has slowly changed. It appears that $blingbling$ is taking over the euro scene....which i dont know how i feel about. But now polishing is a big thing, and gold bolts etc are becoming pretty popular....rather interesting.

Good definition

Old 10-23-2006 | 10:34 AM
goin440
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
the euro thread over on m|u ofetn strives away from actual euro cars over to just european cars that we think are hot. So there are a lot of non-euros in there. You will find that some threads over there stray from the original topic

Look at the way the arches flow (from the front view)...they are perfect for the original body lines. Then you have the zeemax kit which is trying to do the same thing but ignoring the original MINI lines. Like it or not, the M3 has some AMAZINGLY aggresive lines in stock form with big broad arches, a square chin-like front bumper, and sharp lines on the side. So to try to fit a kit on an M3 and then to try and fit the same style kit on a "cute" "rounded" "subdued" MINI just isn't going to work which is proven by those pics. The zeemax kit is FAR over the top, and would be nearly impossible to consider euro.
The M3 definently has broad shoulders and a squareness that comes natural to sedans. The biggest difference I see are the same you pointed out, and I agree the MINI needs more refined. Refer back to the white CSS kit (vs. blue CSR) and note how the lines are more complimenting to the MINI. The only lines on the Zeemax I disagree with are the straight lines where a curve would be complimenting; the front grill, and the rear diffuser. Other than that, the flow works in the same way as the lines on the M3. I do feel drawn away from the front and rear of the M3 similarly as the Zeemax, but like the boot pshop, I'm having trouble figuring the mood and defining the culprit.

Yes, some things exclude you from being euro (big huge wheels... )
Ehhh... depending on school. Small wheels work on the mk1-mk3 VWs; Large wheels on the mk3-mk5. Mk3's have a luxury of looking good on either.

Similarly with the MINI, although going much larger than 17s, imo starting getting gawdy on both mk3 and MINI.

I'm struggling a little seeing the connection between your current wheels besides the color. To go from small 8-spoke wheels to large 5 spoke wheels is a jump.
What we have are two classics; the "minilite" style multispoke, and the 5 spoke. I set out to get an aggressive 5spoke, requiring multipiece and nice lines. I feel the recesses on the 5 pay tribute some what to the multi spoke. As for size, they weren't availible in anything smaller than 17, and when I bought them, the MINI community was still very very young and we didn't have near the options we do now. There has been a recent influence of "oldschool" in the aftermarket lately with developments that favor more to MINIs styling. Being multipiece though, the center makes the wheel appear smaller than it actually is, and the contrasting gold helps the reduction too.

I think your wheels obviously (being volks) fall under the japan tuner section.
I agree, but conversly JDM is only JDM until gains disturbution. Tirerack now carries Volk. Many "euro" style wheels are JDM produced.

If you want me to point out euro-ness on my car there isn't much (and i never really said there was). Things will change once i finish a deal i have to buy some rare 3 piece euro wheels that are 8 inches wide so that i can stretch some rubber on there.
Likewise, we share many similar mods. I'm very interested in the offset/tire you'll go with (I'm getting scrapbooky with cardboard remember). Care to elaborate more on the goodness?

STANCE is everything in euro. Most of the cars in the euro scene are lowered and the wheels are pushed out to the sides to really make the car look squat and wide. To get rid of all wheel gap (both up and down AND from inside the wheel well out to the fender)
Stance is everything no matter what category. Stock, the MINI has a very favorable stance. However the chassis doesn't give much room for filling the gaps. The whole reason behind this thread (not wheel gaps or suspension particularly, but gaps in flow as a whole).

Old 10-23-2006 | 10:51 AM
goin440
|
6th Gear
Here is an accurate post on 'euro cars' so you can see where I'm coming from....since some of the cars in the thread i sent you too are confusing.

<many pics with descriptions>
This format of posting works much better than just posting pics. I'm all about developing. Nice post.

This is about as euro as anyone has seen a MINI (besides maybe Konky's car right now)...unfortunately he was boo'd off of NAM for being different and didnt return
Great stance, deep lip, stretched tires,nothing too flashy...he could have gotten his bumper closer to the ground if he had gone for the 16 inch keskins but this looks nice too.

Look at this stance....perfect

D6, no? If not, what offset/width is that?

Old 10-23-2006 | 10:59 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
This is about as euro as anyone has seen a MINI (besides maybe Konky's car right now)...unfortunately he was boo'd off of NAM for being different and didnt return
Great stance, deep lip, stretched tires,nothing too flashy...he could have gotten his bumper closer to the ground if he had gone for the 16 inch keskins but this looks nice too.

Look at this stance....perfect

D@mn! That looks good. If he weren't boo'd off I'd ask about the set-up. I don't even know whose it is.

Rally do you know anything about it?

Old 10-23-2006 | 11:16 AM
Konky
4th Gear
he sold it... he now drives an e30 or something

Old 10-23-2006 | 11:16 AM
Konky
4th Gear
9" in the rear btw

Old 10-23-2006 | 11:41 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Konky
9" in the rear btw
17x8 up front
17x9 out back staggered setup

the offsets are in a thread somewhere around here.....low 20's and high teens for the offset i believe

username: d6mcs

Old 10-23-2006 | 11:52 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by goin440
Likewise, we share many similar mods. I'm very interested in the offset/tire you'll go with (I'm getting scrapbooky with cardboard remember). Care to elaborate more on the goodness?
Can't divulge the wheel type cause i dont want people biting my style like they did with my current wheels.....so it will remain a secret unless you visit my m|u thread when i post pics

I'm looking at 15x8 (16s if i can find them, but they are even more rare)
the offset is going to be determined by which lip i put on...to get 8 inches, i would be putting 2 inch lips on. The lips are gonna be custom made and polised. Then I'm looking for some custom bolts....and although color hasnt been determined, I wanna get the centers powder coated(red,black, polished, white....etc).

The decision on the lip is gonna be kinda hard....the wheel starts out at 6.5 inches with a .5 inch lip...so adding a lip may still leave a problem with backspacing. I'm not afraid to poke (as is obvious running 15x7 et35). The tires will probably be 195(rare, but great stretch) or 205 (already have a set).

Old 10-23-2006 | 09:34 PM
goin440
|
6th Gear
17x8 up front
17x9 out back staggered setup

the offsets are in a thread somewhere around here.....low 20's and high teens for the offset i believe

username: d6mcs
The fronts are et35, backs et25. Two threads; the last here is the "first," but contains some 8 pages of banter.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=27641

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=26697