Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Roof Rack Quote

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006 | 05:25 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CDMINI
Want to BET on that? Plenty of lousy workmen in MINI dealers and everywhere else out there, I doubt if any one gets a new car. One reason I started doing some of my own work is that I am a terrible mechanic, but still better than some of the folks who expect me to PAY them for their shoddy work.
exactly! most people are probably as capable as the mini mechanics, and for me i trust myself way more then i trust anyone, especially when it comes to my stuff. Its going to be you who will take more care in working on your vehicle then some dude who has to work on them all day every day.

Old 10-20-2006 | 05:37 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Willymcd,

You're my hero! I'd prefer to do the work myself, but I just couldn't bring myself to taking a drill to the roof. I did, however, retrofit Thule fork-mount bike attachments to the MINI OEM rack. Since my '03 conversion, I noticed that MINI wised up and now offers a fork-mount (probably Thule) bike rack system.

Old 10-21-2006 | 08:18 PM
CB surfer
1st Gear
If you want racks then I think you should get racks that go with the MINI, as in MINI racks. They work and look great. If you can measure and can drill holes without drilling through your headliner, then you should be able to do it yourself. I have them for surfboards and I love mine. I hate the look of retrofit gutter racks on such a beautifully designed car. I also average 33 mpg with my racks.

check my gallery on how I customized mine for carrying boards.

Old 10-21-2006 | 09:43 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CDMINI
Want to BET on that? Plenty of lousy workmen in MINI dealers and everywhere else out there, I doubt if any one gets a new car. One reason I started doing some of my own work is that I am a terrible mechanic, but still better than some of the folks who expect me to PAY them for their shoddy work.
For the record, I have done every single mod to my car other than the pulleys which Randy did for me. I wanted the warranty. The only other exception is the roof rack.

And for the record, the SA/MA put it in writing on the work order that errors in installation would result in them "repairing/replacing my car to factory condition at their expense". I've dealt with enough a-holes to get it in writing from now on.

Old 10-21-2006 | 10:09 PM
garyklee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by afnos
I'd rather not pay $1500 in labor costs. Any suggestions?
I bought the Mini Cooper fit kit for my Thule rack and it works great. I have both ski and bike racks that bolt on to the Thule rack.

Check out the Thule rack pictures in my gallery.
Also take a look at this earlier thread for instructions on how to mount the rack:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=66217

The nice thing is when I'm done with the rack, I take it off and hang in from the ceiling in the garage with four ladder hooks. Another advantage is there are no holes in the roof and the whole set up is way cheaper than the Mini factory rack. Also when you eventually sell the Mini, you can keep the Thule rack and buy another fit kit for your new car.

Last edited by garyklee; 10-21-2006 at 10:37 PM. Reason: To add Link to previous forum thread