Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Delaminating Front MINI logo

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006 | 07:23 PM
gokartride
|
6th Gear
Delaminating Front MINI logo

Here's a weird one...anybody seen this?

The front bonnet logo on my MINI has delaminated. A disk of mylar/plastic which (I assume) carried the black portion of the MINI name is gone! Right now, the wings are all chrome!

At first I might have suspected foul play but there are no scratches at all, and it'd not be worth the trouble to get that wafer thin disk off...it'd make much more sense to take the whole logo. Not sure if someone would be interested in such a surgical procedure. On the other hand, I've retraced my steps and can't find it lying around anywhere I parked. I did wash the MINI the other day...I think it may have just blown off!!! I also think I may have noticed a small imperfection/bubble forming in one edge of the disk, but I thought nothing of it.

I've also had similar issues related to water/weather/ car washes (I assume)...the center wheel caps had the clear plastic coating delaminate and flake off (replaced under warranty) and my door sills also began delaminated sheets of clear plastic (also replaced under warranty).

Anyway, I was curious if anyone had seen similar symptoms on the bonnet and/or boot logos.

As an aside, the MINI logo does look fab in it's all-chrome state...but it's not to my personal liking.

Old 10-29-2006 | 11:34 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
I had the same happen to my key but instead of being all chrime I've got a big black hole in the middle.

Old 10-29-2006 | 11:48 AM
gokartride
|
6th Gear
I had a good look at my MINI logo in the light...the plastic would have been really thin as the profiles on the MINI letters is still there on the chrome piece. Comparing it to the logo on back it would have been really hard (not worth the effort) to pry it off. I think it just popped free. I tried retracing my steps again today to see if I could find the disk, but no luck. It is, however, amazing how many circular black circular blobs are to be found on you normal neighborhood street and parking lot. As it is, the piece was so thin it probably would be hard to spot even if I was staring right at it. Hello warranty!!!

Old 10-29-2006 | 12:00 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
I almost wonder if it was glued on and a few hot Texas summers managed to weaken it. so on the road oyu go and away it flies.

Old 10-29-2006 | 06:42 PM
gokartride
|
6th Gear
It is possible...I try to never underestimate Texas summers!

Old 10-29-2006 | 07:14 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
It is possible...I try to never underestimate Texas summers!
Nor do I thats why i stay up north

I'll take a blizzard any day. I'm sure your dealer can hook you up with one, and if you get the right guy from the parts dept. on a good day he'll even supply you at no charge cause it's benifiting MINI, esp. with the showcase your car is. (by descriptions I think you have it cleaner than it was at the factory!)