Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Question for Police Officers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:46 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Sure Ken...Mr Aero body kit, fog lights, loud CAI/exhaust, big bright wheels...I'd never see you coming...

Ummm...as for Msfitoy...I want all copies of MC2 issue 2 sent to me ASAP before it's too late...

ok ok, you got a point. man my car looks awesome.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:50 AM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.257 Altering, forging, or falsifying documents; penalty.

Sec. 257.
(1) A person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of a felony:
(a) Alters with fraudulent intent any certificate of title, registration certificate, or registration plate issued by the department.
(b) Forges or counterfeits any such document or plate purporting to have been issued by the department.
(c) Alters or falsifies with fraudulent intent or forges any assignment upon a certificate of title.
(d) Holds or uses such a document or plate knowing the same to have been altered, forged, or falsified.
(e) Knowingly possesses, sells, or offers for sale a stolen, false, or counterfeit certificate of title, registration certificate, registration plate, registration decal, or registration tab.
(2) A person who is convicted of a second violation of this section shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than 2 years or more than 7 years, or by a fine of not less than $1,500.00 or more than $7,000.00, or both.
(3) A person who is convicted of a third or subsequent violation of this section shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than 5 years or more than 15 years, or by a fine of not less than $5,000.00 or more than $15,000.00, or both.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 309, Eff. Mar. 31, 1993

© 2006 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

http://198.109.173.11/(S(ae4tadqpnhh...light=Altering
Hopefully that helps you a little. But then again look at the rest of your MINI! And I have to agree with others it also depends on the Officer and some just might say "Fix It"

EDIT: Now that I read that again I think you are fine! It say Fraudulent Intent.... And you aren't Forging or Counterfeiting the Plate But I say to contact your local Law Enforcement Agency and ask them about it to be on the save side.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MNEEME
Hopefully that helps you a little. But then again look at the rest of your MINI! And I have to agree with others it also depends on the Officer and some just might say "Fix It"

EDIT: Now that I read that again I think you are fine! It say Fraudulent Intent.... And you aren't Forging or Counterfeiting the Plate But I say to contact your local Law Enforcement Agency and ask them about it to be on the save side.
Thanks...this is very helpful I thank the DMV for inserting the qualifier, "alters with fraudulent intent" which I obviously am not...afterall, it is a vanity plate and I am not trying to fool anyone...

Old 11-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to be safe, always carry a couple of fresh Krispy Kremes in your glove box.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:51 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Just found a great resource...

http://forums.officer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

What a neat place to have a chat with the people in the know

Old 11-02-2006, 11:51 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
Just to be safe, always carry a couple of fresh Krispy Kremes in your glove box.
yes, and don't joke about jellybelly's. (per CNN)

Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
..I've been busted for a smoked shield but this one is clear...is that a problem too or does this depend on what the cop had for dinner?...
Probably everything that happens "out there" is dependent on this or the last words he had with his wife before he left the house that day...

Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Originally Posted by eVal
Looks like you got trapped by the fake DMV site - anything not ".gov" is not really your DMV site. I don't know what the deal is with those DMV .org sites but they are misleading.
That's not true. the official Nevada DMV site is http://www.dmvnv.com/

Old 11-02-2006, 12:55 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
It's hard to believe there are no police officers at NAM?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:56 PM
amandabeo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From an Illinois Officer...

Speaking as an officer from Illinois who is in the Traffic Safety Unit, unfortunatley I would have issue you a ticket for altering the plate. In IL it is a pretty serious offense, up there with messing with your car title. I might cut you a bit of slack being a MINI owner, though Maybe more if you drove a Purple Haze S!

Also in IL it is illegal to have ANY plastic cover on your license plates, or for that matter you cannot have a plate frame that covers any part of the lettering or renewel sticker. It is also illegal to have any window tint on the front driver and/or passenger side windows. Sorry that doesn't help you out much in Michigan, though.

It is interesting reading some of the comments you all have left - especially the automatic assumption that the cop who pulls you over is going to be a man

-- Officer AmandaBeo

Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Agro
Some states have bought .coms to fight the confusion it seems, however they do appear to link to the .gov official sites prominently as your link does (see the state links at the top via the icons/state seals bracketing the main page title that redirect to the gov site).

Old 11-02-2006, 01:00 PM
amandabeo
1st Gear
Well actually...

Originally Posted by Greatbear
Speaking for myself, I prefer hot chocolate and bagels to coffee and doughnuts

Trust me, I've heard them all, especially from my boyfriend the fire fighter who LOVES to throw out cop jokes every chance he gets.

-- Officer AmandaBeo

Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Originally Posted by eVal
Some states have bought .coms to fight the confusion it seems, however they do appear to link to the .gov official sites prominently as your link does (see the state links at the top via the icons/state seals bracketing the main page title that redirect to the gov site).
The NV govt sites are all .govs, but the DMV site with a .gov doesn't even exist.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:09 PM
amandabeo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by motor on

In IL the CLEAR plastic is acceptable, seems like thats the case in MI too. In IL the lack would not fly as we are not allowed to have anythying opaque on or over the plate, in Michigan it seems more like they are saying it needs to be ligible and meet visible standards but modifing is acceptable. At least that is MY interpretation of it (and I'm not a police officer).
Unfortunatley Motor On, you are incorrect. The IL law changed on January 1st, 2006, making it illegal to have ANY plastic cover over your license plates. In fact, some plate frames are now illegal if they cover the sticker or too much of the plate.

-- Officer AmandaBeo

Old 11-02-2006, 01:11 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
dooood you dont know what's real and wats fake in LV!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:12 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by amandabeo
Unfortunatley Motor On, you are incorrect. The IL law changed on January 1st, 2006, making it illegal to have ANY plastic cover over your license plates. In fact, some plate frames are now illegal if they cover the sticker or too much of the plate.

-- Officer AmandaBeo
yes, this is why i removed all plastic covers on my plates this year.
plus, it looks better.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 PM
eVal
6th Gear
The NV govt sites are all .govs, but the DMV site with a .gov doesn't even exist.
I know, I can see that from the site, I'm just saying that real DMV sites have gov links and such displayed vs those other sites like www.nv.dmv.org and other sites that come up when you search for your state's DMV. So when you go to look for your local laws, codes, and such, look for the official info.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
I've painted the background of my Michigan plate from gloss blue to flat black...is this illegal?
Sid, post that question here http://forums.officer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=197

I'm betting you will get an answer

Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear

I visit Officer.com all the time! Never noticed that they had forums there.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Morris9982
4th Gear
I was not aware that all plastic covers over license plates were illegal in Illinois.

I have used various plate frames for years, mostly solid black, just because I thought the improved the look and they protected the plate. I was always careful to replace them if they started turning foggy or yellow.

I can understand the rationale to ban covers that obscure the tag (like old yellowed ones). I would be interested in knowing why all were banned. Maybe because that eliminated the need to argue which ones were too opaque?

Guess I'll go home tonight and take off the covers.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ it helps to wax them too. makes taking off bugs much easier.

oh wait, you weave around bugs.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:42 PM
anathema
3rd Gear
I have been thinking of something similar on my PW PW MINI.

Here in colorado, the plates are white with green lettering. I have been thinking of painting the white part pepper white and the dark green part black. Then blasting the plate with a reflective clear paint. I was also wondering the legality of this.

There was a MINI5280 member who got a 3 point ticket for having a peace sign sticker in between the 2 sets of 3 numbers. But that was blatant alteration, mine is slight colouration... hmmmm..

Old 11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
jjtricket
2nd Gear
Its really very simple folks. If you have dark tint, any type of blue light, neon, loud exhaust, covers over plates, altered plates, decals covered, plate or tail light out, etc. it is probable cause to pull you over.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:58 PM
chows4us
6th Gear

Arghh, I posted and didn't see you found this.

This is an excellent forum, especially the general chat. You get to learn all kinds of neat things about what the care about and what they don't.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
This is why i have an Electric Blue car, the blue plate matches very well....lol but with all this snow out side right now, we will not know if Sid gets pulled over for his plate till sometime in the spring ....lol

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Question for Police Officers...