Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Question for Police Officers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:35 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Question for Police Officers...

I've painted the background of my Michigan plate from gloss blue to flat black...is this illegal? I understand that laws vary from state to state but I've seen countless hot rods and bikes with such customization and have been told by many that as long as it doesn't "obstruct" the plate numbers, it's ok...is this true in my case? The reflective lettering has not been altered...

Thanks in advance...

Old 11-01-2006, 05:45 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't you cover the reflectors when you paint the back ground, or no?
does the number still reflect light?

if so, i think you're okay.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:46 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kenchan
don't you cover the reflectors when you paint the back ground, or no?
does the number still reflect light?

if so, i think you're okay.
The numbers do reflect and have not been altered...Officer Chan

I'm curious about the clear plate shield too...I've been busted for a smoked shield but this one is clear...is that a problem too or does this depend on what the cop had for dinner?

In case you're wondering why I don't just ask my police friend...well, he was in our club until he sold his Mini and can't be found lately...

Old 11-01-2006, 05:52 PM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All laws vary by state and sometimes even by city. The area in which I live
has a traffic offense that reads it is illegal to "remove, conceal, alter, mark
or deface the license plate or any other mark of identification on the vehicle".

It's kinda like the white taillight mod without installing the red reflector. You
take your risk on who wants to write a ticket that day.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
wow, nice job on that! that should be fine.
the clear plastic.... it's debateable. 1st it blocks some reflection off
the numbers.

second, from a detailer's perspective, after a wash there will be some
clouding and water marks left on the inside of the plastic that will be
an eye irritant especially when covering a dark colored plate.

i say, leave it off. clearcoat it?!

Originally Posted by MSFITOY
The numbers do reflect and have not been altered...Officer Chan

I'm curious about the clear plate shield too...I've been busted for a smoked shield but this one is clear...is that a problem too or does this depend on what the cop had for dinner?

In case you're wondering why I don't just ask my police friend...well, he was in our club until he sold his Mini and can't be found lately...

Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
wow, nice job on that! that should be fine.
the clear plastic.... it's debateable. 1st it blocks some reflection off
the numbers.

second, from a detailer's perspective, after a wash there will be some
clouding and water marks left on the inside of the plastic that will be
an eye irritant especially when covering a dark colored plate.

i say, leave it off. clearcoat it?!
It's a water/dust proof shield...

It would be a bummer if this is verbotten as I spent some good quality time with an exacto blade two inches from the plate to mask off all those letterings... It looks like it came painted black from the DMV...

Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 PM
rrudorf
2nd Gear
i would have checked with the cops before i'd ask any of us.

RR

Old 11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
(2) A registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which the plate is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging. The plate shall be attached at a height of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measured from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position which is clearly visible. The plate shall be maintained free from foreign materials that obscure or partially obscure the registration information, and in a clearly legible condition.
iffy, but arguable passable
(3) A registration plate or the expiration tab on the registration plate shall be of a different color designated by the secretary of state with a marked contrast between the color of the registration plate and the numerals or letters on the plate. The secretary of state may provide a distinctive registration plate as a replacement for a standard plate. To honor a special or historical event, the secretary of state may provide a commemorative plate as a replacement for a standard plate.
Still has contrast
(4) A person shall not attach a name plate, insignia, or advertising device to a motor vehicle registration plate in a manner which obscures or partially obscures the registration information.
Don't let the clear plastic obscure anything and thats ok

(6) The registration plate and the required letters and numerals on the registration plate shall be of sufficient size to be plainly readable from a distance of 100 feet during daylight. The secretary of state may issue a tab or tabs designating the month and year of expiration.
Passable

In IL the CLEAR plastic is acceptable, seems like thats the case in MI too. In IL the lack would not fly as we are not allowed to have anythying opaque on or over the plate, in Michigan it seems more like they are saying it needs to be ligible and meet visible standards but modifing is acceptable. At least that is MY interpretation of it (and I'm not a police officer).

You have the code to refer to, imagine beign cited for it, can you defend it? If so then go ahead. If you want even more comfort e-mail a local police chief and ask hypothetically what the case would be assuming you meet the cited requirements.

BTW the Michigan webpage sucks!! In IL I had the info I needed 2 min to find the code I needed, that took 20 min. to get that much vauge info.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by motor on

iffy, but arguable passable

Still has contrast

Don't let the clear plastic obscure anything and thats ok

Passable

In IL the CLEAR plastic is acceptable, seems like thats the case in MI too. In IL the lack would not fly as we are not allowed to have anythying opaque on or over the plate, in Michigan it seems more like they are saying it needs to be ligible and meet visible standards but modifing is acceptable. At least that is MY interpretation of it (and I'm not a police officer).

You have the code to refer to, imagine beign cited for it, can you defend it? If so then go ahead. If you want even more comfort e-mail a local police chief and ask hypothetically what the case would be assuming you meet the cited requirements.

BTW the Michigan webpage sucks!! In IL I had the info I needed 2 min to find the code I needed, that took 20 min. to get that much vauge info.
Thanks for the info and I agree...I still can't find anything on Michigan plate laws..still at it..

My lettering and tag are unaltered...if anything, the black serves a greater contrast to the lettering than the original blue...but like I said...I think it comes down to whether the cop behind me has had a bad day or not because as we all know, any of our modded Minis WILL violate countless codes if they so choose...especially mine

Old 11-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the info and I agree...I still can't find anything on Michigan plate laws..still at it..
Most is in 257.XXX I just search registration, but there is a lot of crap to read through, I wish they'd just let you browse the laws instead of search them.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I know there are many Police Officers on this forum but where are they? I think pberry51mini is one from what I recall from one of his post...Hello pberry51mini

Old 11-01-2006, 07:40 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
...Hello pberry51mini

Old 11-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Methman
3rd Gear
I know there are many Police Officers on this forum but where are they?
I'm here, but I'm from California. The vehicle code does not specifically say you can't repaint them to another color, but it would probably be considered in "not maintained" condition.

So to repaint them a different color here would probably draw attention to your vehicle. It's never good to draw our attention to you...

Our vehicle code does allow for a cover over the plate as long the plate isn't obstructed, but it can only cover the registration tabs.

I don't know our laws are similar, but I hope the info helped...

Old 11-02-2006, 05:51 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ +1 first plan is not to draw attention.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:02 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
^^ +1 first plan is not to draw attention.
Sure Ken...Mr Aero body kit, fog lights, loud CAI/exhaust, big bright wheels...I'd never see you coming...

Ummm...as for Msfitoy...I want all copies of MC2 issue 2 sent to me ASAP before it's too late...

Old 11-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Haha.. I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't seem to different from the blue by the pic you posted. Like you said, it prolly just has to deal with the officer behind you having a bad day or not. And I doubt a cop will pull you over just for the plate..

Old 11-02-2006, 08:12 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Methman
I'm here, but I'm from California. The vehicle code does not specifically say you can't repaint them to another color, but it would probably be considered in "not maintained" condition.

So to repaint them a different color here would probably draw attention to your vehicle. It's never good to draw our attention to you...

Our vehicle code does allow for a cover over the plate as long the plate isn't obstructed, but it can only cover the registration tabs.

I don't know our laws are similar, but I hope the info helped...
Actually, it looks like it does specifically state that you cannot alter the license plate at all:

"4464. No person shall display upon a vehicle a license plate altered from its original markings."
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4464.htm

I just went to the DMV site and searched on 'altered license plate' and the vehicle code came right up - MSFITOY you might want to try searching for a few similar type terms on your state's DMV site and see what you find. You can also probably call or email them with the question and they can probably tell you what is legal or not.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Sid,

you should not have a problem, but between the window tint, the plate paint, the loud exhaust, you could get pulled over and questioned if the cop felt he had too. but as far as i know it's not something you could get a ticket for. if you need Greg's number let me know.

also your trim part is $36.00 each

Old 11-02-2006, 08:34 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by agokart
Sid,

you should not have a problem, but between the window tint, the plate paint, the loud exhaust, you could get pulled over and questioned if the cop felt he had too. but as far as i know it's not something you could get a ticket for. if you need Greg's number let me know.

also your trim part is $36.00 each
Thanks Chad...I figured that if I had painted it flourescent orange...that might be asking for it...to your point, I think it all comes down to what I did to deserve a pull over and how bad a mood the officer is in...because like you said...even I can cite my Mini for a hundred things that's politically incorrect

BTW...thanks for checking the trim...the insurance company came through with the pieces

I could get another tab since I have so many copies of MSFITOY plates laying around and keep it in the boot...just in case

Old 11-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can see the court data now...

"The clerk is calling Misfitoy"......

"The charge is for ain illegal licence plate?"

"But judge, I read all the state law. It says Legible, and it's that, I haven't covered any of the reg information, nor is there anything in the law that says you can't have a clear covering!"

Judge: "Wait a second here. You're a citizen, right?"

"yes......"

Judge: "Well, you're the very first one I've ever met that said they'd actually read the law....... Officer?"

Officer bust-a-lot: "Yes judge?"

Judge: "Have YOU read this section of the vehicel code?"

Officer bust a lot (looking nervouse)... "Uh, what section was that? Oh yeah.... Um, no, I haven't read that it a while... But it seemed that"

Judge (cutting off the officer): "Are you aware that you cited the ONLY PERSON that I've ever found to actually be interrested legal compliance?"

Officer "But it just seemed like it would be wrong....."

Judge: "And with the way we're treating him, it will be a wonder if he EVER shows respect for the law ever again!"

Officer: "Sorry judge..."

Judge: "well Mr Mini driver, case dismissed!"

or something like that.....

Matt

Old 11-02-2006, 08:41 AM
jjtricket
2nd Gear
All illegal in Georgia. However, a police officer would have to be bored to write all the citations. Just be happy your in MI. All traffic citations here are misdemeanors. BTW, just call your local state police post and ask them. They can give you the exact case law.

It looks great!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:42 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
"The clerk is calling Misfitoy"......

"The charge is for ain illegal licence plate?"

"But judge, I read all the state law. It says Legible, and it's that, I haven't covered any of the reg information, nor is there anything in the law that says you can't have a clear covering!"

Judge: "Wait a second here. You're a citizen, right?"

"yes......"

Judge: "Well, you're the very first one I've ever met that said they'd actually read the law....... Officer?"

Officer bust-a-lot: "Yes judge?"

Judge: "Have YOU read this section of the vehicel code?"

Officer bust a lot (looking nervouse)... "Uh, what section was that? Oh yeah.... Um, no, I haven't read that it a while... But it seemed that"

Judge (cutting off the officer): "Are you aware that you cited the ONLY PERSON that I've ever found to actually be interrested legal compliance?"

Officer "But it just seemed like it would be wrong....."

Judge: "And with the way we're treating him, it will be a wonder if he EVER shows respect for the law ever again!"

Officer: "Sorry judge..."

Judge: "well Mr Mini driver, case dismissed!"

or something like that.....

Matt
Let's hope I never have to go through that...better find the Michigan DMV codes and study up...

Old 11-02-2006, 08:57 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Got to this point but all the links are dead:impatient

http://www.dmv.org/mi-michigan/autom...hicle-code.php

Old 11-02-2006, 09:06 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Got to this point but all the links are dead:impatient

http://www.dmv.org/mi-michigan/autom...hicle-code.php
Looks like you got trapped by the fake DMV site - anything not ".gov" is not really your DMV site. I don't know what the deal is with those DMV .org sites but they are misleading.

Anyway, I found your real gov site and I'm sorry to say there is a code against altering your lic plate. Of course you may never be bugged about it, but for the record it is in on the books as a no-no:

Alter/ Forge/ Falsify Vehicle Document or License Plate

Alter title certificate, registrations, plate or temporary permit. (Non-moving violation) Effective 10/01/2001 only felony convictions will
be considered as priors: Offense Codes: 1140, 1400, 1405, 1410, 1420, 1430, 1440, 1450, 1500,
1600, 1605, 1706, 1707, 1708, 1709, 1801, 1802, 1803, 1804, 1807, 1808, 3235, 3245, 3320 and 3600.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Of...de_73877_7.pdf

Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
I have found that it really depends on the cop. I bought a car a few years ago that had red license plate lights. One night I was driving around Provo, Utah and all of a sudden I was pulled over. I hadn't done anything wrong, but it turns out the officer didn't like my license plate lights so he gave me a fix-it ticket. It took me 5 minutes to change the bulbs and a trip down to the court and it was fixed, but it was a minor nuisance especially considering that a lot of people don't even have working license plate lights.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Question for Police Officers...