Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Racing Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006 | 07:13 AM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
Racing Seats

I want to put in aftermarket racing seats, but I was wondering what seats fit right and are the best? I want to find a seat that will match my interior right now (black and cordoba tan) And is there any other parts i need?
Thanks,
John

Old 11-07-2006 | 07:37 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
with the cordoba interior you might consider custom.... sparco's custom tailored ones might just be what you are eyeing... but about 800 bucks... each.....

Old 11-07-2006 | 09:29 AM
snid
6th Gear
The first step should be to test-sit in the seats to see if they fit you. I had my heart set on some Recaro Speed 5-point compatible seats. Seemed like the best compromise... reclinable so they'd be comfortable for year round daily use, have a hole for a sub strap so I can run race harnesses on the track (I've already got a rollbar). And hey, they're Recaro!

Then, I sat in one, and realized that I didn't fit in it right and it was uncomfortable.

So, find the seat that's comfortable first. Then see if it fits inside the car (there's not a lot of clearance for seats with big side supports up by your head), then worry about how to install it and what to cover it with.

Unless it's a show car, then get what looks pretty.

Old 11-07-2006 | 09:53 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snid
The first step should be to test-sit in the seats to see if they fit you. I had my heart set on some Recaro Speed 5-point compatible seats. Seemed like the best compromise... reclinable so they'd be comfortable for year round daily use, have a hole for a sub strap so I can run race harnesses on the track (I've already got a rollbar). And hey, they're Recaro!
its true... but difficulty also comes in trying to locate the ones you want! im in toronto, trying to find a momo start or the sparco rev here is almost impossible! i brought the seat, and find the Rev, as listed on sparco's dimensions chart, fits me absolutely perfectly.... so i guess i got lucky

Old 11-07-2006 | 12:30 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
My Sparco Torino's have +55k miles on it, still looks good and holding up good.

With so much seat time, I had to get some kidney cushions so my back doesn't sink into the seat. There's also some discoloration where the seatbelt touches the seat. Otherwise no problem. I suppose I could swap the passenger side with driver side so that I get that 'new' feeling again.

Old 11-10-2006 | 12:58 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
I think im gunna go with some sort of Recaro seats. I found these ones that would match, but they are $1600 a seat!

Old 11-10-2006 | 06:30 PM
nparker
4th Gear
Here's some Recaro Speed copies. $399 a pair including sliders. I guy I know got a set of these and they are identical except for the embroidered logo. Dual lever to flip the seat forward, and the triangle tilt adjuster. I'm looking at a set for my car.

http://www.madracingconcepts.com/Sea...es/lea_tan.jpg

http://www.madracingconcepts.com/Seats/seats.htm

Old 11-10-2006 | 07:49 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
Originally Posted by nparker
Here's some Recaro Speed copies. $399 a pair including sliders. I guy I know got a set of these and they are identical except for the embroidered logo. Dual lever to flip the seat forward, and the triangle tilt adjuster. I'm looking at a set for my car.

That's quite a price! I'm going to order those when my bonus comes in next week. Thanks for the tip.

Jtrem, this would be a good one to consider. I've sat in them before.

Old 11-10-2006 | 09:21 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
ive sat in the real thing too. comfy as hell, but isnt much better support for someone with 30' waist (like me)

also, i had a bit of an issue with no name brand seats... maybe mine was an extreme case, but the seat back frame was welded on to the seat base... with what appears to be merely blotches of weld from a beginner welder! i have to dig up my old pictures see if i can find it... but i'd be a bit careful on those no name brand seats...

save up and buy the real thing!

Old 11-10-2006 | 09:43 PM
ma78
Originally Posted by kyriian
ive sat in the real thing too. comfy as hell, but isnt much better support for someone with 30' waist (like me)

also, i had a bit of an issue with no name brand seats... maybe mine was an extreme case, but the seat back frame was welded on to the seat base... with what appears to be merely blotches of weld from a beginner welder! i have to dig up my old pictures see if i can find it... but i'd be a bit careful on those no name brand seats...

It's a 50/50 thing. Sometimes the little guy can make a big product. Cheaper doesn't ALWAYS mean poorer quality. Keep in mind that Recaro seats are marked up considerably. You will pay a lot for that name stitched on the seat.

Old 11-10-2006 | 10:03 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
double posted.. sorry!

Old 11-10-2006 | 10:04 PM
trackster
5th Gear

Now that is a hell of a deal . If they were not up to yours tandards once they arrived you should have no trouble selling them and getting most of your money back.

Old 11-10-2006 | 10:04 PM
ma78
i know... as i said mine could be an extreme case... didnt i?
I won't argue that point with you. There is some total crap on the market.

Old 11-10-2006 | 10:05 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ma78
It's a 50/50 thing. Sometimes the little guy can make a big product. Cheaper doesn't ALWAYS mean poorer quality. Keep in mind that Recaro seats are marked up considerably. You will pay a lot for that name stitched on the seat.
i know, i didnt say that its ALWAYS, rather, i said mine could be an extreme case

maybe mine was an extreme case, but the seat back frame was welded on to the seat base... with what appears to be merely blotches of weld from a beginner welder!
edit: just saw the reply.. there's some absolute crap on the market... thankfully the mini aftermarket isnt too full of them yet

Old 11-10-2006 | 10:07 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear

I'm a true believer in real thing too I also have 30" waist and I'm using the Cobra Suzuka race bucket and it fit like a glovereally comfortable too

Old 11-11-2006 | 06:33 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear

How does there Universal Track Work?

Old 11-11-2006 | 06:35 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Is that the JEG's seat? (nparker)

Jtrem- Are you planning on doing any, HPDE or TT or racing?

Old 11-11-2006 | 06:39 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Is that the JEG's seat? (nparker)

Jtrem- Are you planning on doing any, HPDE or TT or racing?
Nope cant say that I am. Just want them for the look. My stock seat has broken down so bad. Leather is torn on my driver side and the passenger side stiching is coming undone. Just wanna get something sporty.

Old 11-11-2006 | 06:54 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Ok then I won't feel the need to give you the safety warning about non brand name seats. (Its not the brand but the safety testing to meet regulations of racing bodies that drives the cost up)

Old 11-11-2006 | 07:08 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jtrem
How does there Universal Track Work?
universal tracks likely just the sliders... ull need a seat base to bolt into the mini... if i am not mistaken... sparco and a few seat manufacturers make universal seat bases...

Old 11-11-2006 | 10:36 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
ya im not planning on racing my car at all. Just looking for some "bling" you could say.

Old 11-11-2006 | 10:51 PM
ma78
I just found some SPARCO Fighters for $650/pair. I'm gonna get 'em. I've always been a SPARCO fan.