Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Sixth Switch Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006 | 04:30 PM
TABASKO
|
2nd Gear
Sixth Switch Install

4000 miles in two months, 35 mpg average, gas prices are down 33%, and the lonely glaring, gap-tooth looking blank switch space has been filled !

I may even add some functionality to it when I save up some $$.

Thanks to the donation of the switch by a generous NAM member.

Life is good.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ze=big&cat=500

Old 11-12-2006 | 06:19 PM
FL_blue_MINI
4th Gear
i know you said you got it from another member but is there a way to order a switch panel with all the switches......i would like to get some driving lights with the funtionality.....it would be using all the empty bays

Old 11-13-2006 | 05:19 PM
TABASKO
|
2nd Gear
I think the only place for a full switch bank is going to be from the dealer. I've seen some switch panels on Ebay from wrecked cars but none had all six switches. Also, some are always for sale from folks who originally had switches missing and ended up getting a full switch panel.

Old 11-14-2006 | 02:54 PM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
Keep in mind that even if you get a full switch panel (such as those on MINIs with rear fog lights) it is not really a "switch", in that you cannot easily wire 3rd party electronics to it (at least that was the conclusion I came to when I researched this very issue a few months back).

Tabasko, your sig says you have six switches...have you successfully wired your driving lights to one of them?

Old 11-14-2006 | 04:06 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by FL_blue_MINI
i know you said you got it from another member but is there a way to order a switch panel with all the switches......i would like to get some driving lights with the funtionality.....it would be using all the empty bays
Note that the driving lights (the ones that mount on the bonnet) do not utilize the toggle switches - there is an external switch for those (which usually goes in the parcel shelf or knee bolster.
The toggles control the fog lights (low in the front bumper) and the rear fog.
Best buy is at Classic Mini www.driveclassicmini.com Tell them you're with NAM and get 20% off.
If you're trying to activate non-OEM lights, you'll need a MCAW or possibly Ian's auto-up circuit.

Old 11-14-2006 | 09:48 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
I bought a full toggle bank from Classic to fill in my gap, and Ian's auto-up circuit makes that new toggle send 12V to the mini garage door opener I put up in my roof.

You could just as easily send that 12V to a relay that would do whatever you wanted it to.

Old 11-15-2006 | 03:54 AM
TABASKO
|
2nd Gear
My sixth switch is cosmetic and is just filling the blank space at the present. After the holidays, I may look into giving it some function.

Old 11-18-2006 | 09:12 PM
tshubin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scooterboy
I bought a full toggle bank from Classic to fill in my gap, and Ian's auto-up circuit makes that new toggle send 12V to the mini garage door opener I put up in my roof.

You could just as easily send that 12V to a relay that would do whatever you wanted it to.

scooterboy, assuming you look at the circuit with ribbon cable pointed down, which pins send the 12v when the rear fog toggle is switched on? I know i could find out myself with a voltmeter but if u know off the top of your head, id appreciate you saving me the time.

Last edited by tshubin; 11-18-2006 at 09:13 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-18-2006 | 09:35 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
I was thinking of doing this too. I don't like the look of all those empty spaces. I've been looking at ways to hook one switch up to the tail-gate brake light. I'd love to hook up my future PIAA driving lights to one of those toggels as well. We'll see.

Old 11-19-2006 | 05:51 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tshubin
scooterboy, assuming you look at the circuit with ribbon cable pointed down, which pins send the 12v when the rear fog toggle is switched on? I know i could find out myself with a voltmeter but if u know off the top of your head, id appreciate you saving me the time.
I'm afraid mine won't match yours. I had the rear fog switch activated to actually turn on the rear fogs.

My car didn't have ASC or DSC so that switch was originally missing on my toggle bank also. That's the one that sends 12V to my garage door opener. This was back when Ian was making the circuits by hand, and he even soldered a 6 inch wire lead coming off the circuit board for me.

Sorry - you'll have to break out your voltmeter.