Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Sunroof Wind Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof Wind Deflector

I just got one (like on OutMotoring) from eBay. I like everything BUT the ribbed nut/thumb screw used to secure the u-hooks SCRAPED the top/front edge of sunroof as is closed!

I can't believe this is how it's supposed to work. Otherwise there would be some PO'd MINI owner's out there.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Old 11-15-2006, 10:10 AM
blalor
6th Gear
It's not correct. You need to shift it around to get it properly lined up. It's not an exact science. Don't feel bad, though; my dealer in Indy did the same thing, nicking the coating on the front edge of the brand new sunroof they installed. I also did the same thing when I installed it myself the first time. I think you just need to shift the deflector forward a bit.

Hey, at least you didn't lose one of those knurled nuts in the headliner like I did!

Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
Ahhhh.... ...thanks blalor! I'll give it shot. Makes perfect sense. Oh well, Jake has a few nicks here and there from other things I tried to do WITHOUT consulting the NAM fam first!

Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
blalor
6th Gear
See what happens when you don't talk to us first?

I futzed with the sunroof switch quite a bit, making sure it would close without hitting. That switch has two positions when you push it forward; before the detent, the roof stops moving as soon as you stop pressing it. After the detent, and it will go until the roof is in the vent position. You can slowly close the roof until you determine whether or not it's going to clear.

Just so you know, I think it's totally worth the effort. I think the MINI deflector is butt-ugly, but it works very well. I was able to keep my sunroof open at 80 comfortably; my new car doesn't have it and it's unbearably noisy at 50. There's another thread around here somewhere that talks about an aftermarket deflector from Weathertech, I think. It's cheaper ($70), but it doesn't have the little adjustable flap in the middle. I think that flap may be the thing that makes the deflector work so well. I'm going to try the weathertech one, but I could see going back to the MINI one.

The major downside to the deflector (aside from the looks only a blind mother could love) is that it causes water to drip rather ... er, "strategically" ... onto your lap in the rain. Without the deflector, I could open the sunroof in a downpour at speed and stay dry. I also think the deflector makes the vent position much noisier. IMHO, YMMV, IANAL, &c. :D

Old 11-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
You're absolutely right, blalor! Good tips on the sunroof switch. Forntunately I discovered that before the mild scrape I got on the edge of the sunroof.

I just finished moving it forward (as you suggested) and BEFORE I scraped it again/in another place. I carefully inched the sunroof closed and it was PERFECT. The front lip starts to descend...detent?...before it even get close to the screws/hardware.

I'm really surprised that MINI doesn't offer some kind of option/better 'deflector' so that it ISN'T so noisy when open. It DOES make a HUGE difference.

One of the best parts (another NAM benefit) is that I posted I wanted to buy one more than a month ago. A fellow NAMer, alpinamike, posted that he found one on eBay. I guess they are rarely found there. Anyway, the starting bid was $50 and I had NO competition. SWEET! Got it for $58, shipped!

Thanks for the tip on the drip. Fortunately (in this case anyway) I'm in Arizona. Not too much rain here!

Thanks again for the perfect advice!

Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
I'm stumped with my OEM sunroof deflector. I've had it for a year and it's never made it onto my car. I appreciate knowing to keep it fore of the sunroof. But I've never (nor with the aid of infamous NAM super-member Shoe) been able to get the excessively small screws to meet the s-hooks. I find it interesting that no one else is listing that as a complication.

Is there any of you willing to measure your mounting screws and posting the result here. It's all I can think that this unit was equipped with the wrong screws.

I probaly tried to install this thing first when this thread was last replied to, ironically enough.

TIA

Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The looks of the thing are enough to make me not worry about trying it.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:23 PM
blalor
6th Gear
They're a bîtçh, no doubt about it. I dropped one inside the sunroof track and didn't recover it until the headliner was replaced at the dealership. I'd recommend a second pair of hands and a thoroughly foul vocabulary. They'll fit, but it's tough to make it work.

Be careful when you close the sunroof for the first time. I can almost guarantee that the sunroof will hit one of the knurled nuts the first time you close it, marring the edge of the sunroof. Just keep futzing until it works.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
so you really had trouble connecting the threaded screws to the s-hooks, blallor? would you say the screws were about 3/4" long?