Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Seat Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:05 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Switch

Okay, here's the deal:

I'm looking at switching some '03 seats into my '06 MINI and visa versa. This is not, by far, the first seat job I've done, but never this particular one. Am I gonna have any unforseen head-aches with this? Has anyone done it? I did a search here, but couldn't find anything. Thanks guys.

Marc-Andrew

Old 11-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Only thing I can think of as being any different is the wieght senosr in the 06 on the passenger side. You'll need to do the resistor trick (search I can't explain it well enoug) for the sensor on the 06 car so you don't trip an airbag light, and you'll have a spare connector on the 03 car after putting 06 seats in there, other than that I think they're identical and can't be any easier of a seat job out there.

There is a good how to for installing racing seats, may warn you of any MINI quirks to look out for. But really just make sure the batt is undone for 30 min before oyu start and don't hook it up til you're done.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:21 PM
ma78
Originally Posted by Motor On
Only thing I can think of as being any different is the wieght senosr in the 06 on the passenger side. You'll need to do the resistor trick (search I can't explain it well enoug) for the sensor on the 06 car so you don't trip an airbag light, and you'll have a spare connector on the 03 car after putting 06 seats in there, other than that I think they're identical and can't be any easier of a seat job out there.

There is a good how to for installing racing seats, may warn you of any MINI quirks to look out for. But really just make sure the batt is undone for 30 min before oyu start and don't hook it up til you're done.

Also, the new seats are heated. That should be fun to figure out.

So the older MINIs have extra connectors?

Old 11-19-2006, 11:23 PM
vm
4th Gear
Pardon my ignorance. What's the difference between '03 and '06 seats if it's not one of the special models?

Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Begining with the 2005 model year BMW incorpaorated weight sensors to shut off the passenger airbag if a person within a certain weight range is in the seat to prevent injuries

Old 11-19-2006, 11:26 PM
ma78
Begining with the 2005 model year BMW incorpaorated weight sensors to shut off the passenger airbag if a person within a certain weight range is in the seat to prevent injuries

File this feature under "Frustrating at Times."

Old 11-20-2006, 07:50 AM
ma78

When I hook up the resistor for the weight sensor, does it disable the airbag or just disable the weight sensor? I could care less about the weight sensor, I just need to know that the airbag will deploy if needed.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 PM
ma78
Okay, from what I've been reading, here's what I've found out:

1. Post Jan '05 seats have a weight sensor built into the bolster/seat bottom area. I think we're all pretty familiar with this, right?
2. If that same weight sensor isn't activated, the passenger side airbags won't deploy. This seems stupid to me. Kids are supposed to be in the back seat. This is just one for non-feature to get in the way of anyone try to mod their car.

Okay, so in order for me to install these '03 seats that I want, I'm going to need to do a little work. I've never even seen one of these sensors. But it looks like I would have to remove it from my stock seats and...somehow...install them into the pad of the '02 seats.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
You're not going to want to hear my thoughts on this, let me look on realOEM and see if its as bad as I think it is.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 PM
ma78
You're not going to want to hear my thoughts on this, let me look on realOEM and see if its as bad as I think it is.

No, I do want to hear ALL thoughts on this. On the surface, this doesn't seem that compllicated. But that's what worries me about it. Keep in mind, I haven't even looked at the bottom of my seats yet. I have no idea how bad of an idea this may be.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ma78
No, I do want to hear ALL thoughts on this. On the surface, this doesn't seem that compllicated. But that's what worries me about it. Keep in mind, I haven't even looked at the bottom of my seats yet. I have no idea how bad of an idea this may be.
Well I took a look on realOEM.com and no differance there, I'll crwal out there and get some photos of a late 05 so it should be exactly what you're dealing with. My concerm is that it'll be looking for signal not resistance and it will recognize the differance.

When the wieght sensor doesn't work the air bags become "dumb" and deploy at the same rate as in older SRS cars. With the sensor they shut off if they detect a set weight. So without it the go back to the "dumb status and will always stay on but it will give you and airbag warning light that can only be reset by your dealer. Which is a pain. Not sure if the resistor will be enoguh to keep the lights off, but they will function just no small passengers!

Old 11-20-2006, 10:46 PM
ma78
Well I took a look on realOEM.com and no differance there, I'll crwal out there and get some photos of a late 05 so it should be exactly what you're dealing with. My concerm is that it'll be looking for signal not resistance and it will recognize the differance.

When the wieght sensor doesn't work the air bags become "dumb" and deploy at the same rate as in older SRS cars. With the sensor they shut off if they detect a set weight. So without it the go back to the "dumb status and will always stay on but it will give you and airbag warning light that can only be reset by your dealer. Which is a pain. Not sure if the resistor will be enoguh to keep the lights off, but they will function just no small passengers!

We don't have any kids. Even if kids were to ride in my car, it would be in the back seat.

So let me get this straight. With the '03 seats, my airbags will work but the light will be on. The dealership can get rid of the light and then everything is ok? I could really care less if the weight sensor works or not. I just need the airbag to work.

Argh! Is it worth it?

Old 11-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
We don't have any kids. Even if kids were to ride in my car, it would be in the back seat.

So let me get this straight. With the '03 seats, my airbags will work but the light will be on. The dealership can get rid of the light and then everything is ok? I could really care less if the weight sensor works or not. I just need the airbag to work.

Argh! Is it worth it?
The dealership can get rid of the light but unless there is something making the comutper think the sensor is there then the light will come right back on the 06 car. Whether or not a resistor will do the trick is the big question.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
ANd I did 17k with the airbag lights on, after two the top one was taped and the red one on the speddo drove me flippin nuts so if you cant get the light off its a real pain.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 PM
ma78
I'd rather not have the lights to worry about. Also, the dealership will probably give me grief over the seats I'm guessing. They'll trace and warranty issues to the seats...even if it's a broken CD player.

I've gotta think this over. It's hard to resist a FREE full set of Cordoba Leather seats. I just don't want to mess up my car with the install. I wish that MINI had just left the damn airbags alone.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Me too cause I'd have gotten the LCW Sparcos, airbags took those out of US market viability so now I've got to go a custom route soon.

Well I post pics after sun up tomorrow of the connections and wiring on the 06 car, look at a Bentley manual for the 03 and you should have a bery good idea bout what you're getting into.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
ma78
Me too cause I'd have gotten the LCW Sparcos, airbags took those out of US market viability so now I've got to go a custom route soon.

Well I post pics after sun up tomorrow of the connections and wiring on the 06 car, look at a Bentley manual for the 03 and you should have a bery good idea bout what you're getting into.

Thanks for your help. I can always remove the bulb.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Thanks for your help. I can always remove the bulb.
It's an LED that sits atop 2 fairly important computers (though I have driven without a speedo before) and will trigger for other issues witht he system, but could be a backup if the resistor doesn't work. I get the feeling your research will save you time and make things pay off in the end.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:43 AM
ma78
We'll see. It may not even be worth doing this switch.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
ma78
The dealership can get rid of the light but unless there is something making the comutper think the sensor is there then the light will come right back on the 06 car. Whether or not a resistor will do the trick is the big question.

Ive been spinning this around in my head all day, and I think I've got it. There shouldn't be a problem with installing the weight sensor in the new seats; as opposed to using a resistor on the sensor. I'm just looking at pictures, and it seems like the stars may be aligning.

What are your thoughts? Also, were you able to get any pictures?

Thanks.

Marc-Andrew

Old 11-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Motor On
6th Gear

Not sure about the seat bottom removal, after my dealer started messing with mine to fix the sensor I ended up needing a new bottom cover and a new heated seat heating element. But I do think it can be done. Brown is ground and I'm assuming yellow is airbag.

These are the photos, sorry not the best quality, but should be enough so you can see connections and wire colors, which should be enough if you can get your hands on a service manual to identify where each goes.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:12 PM
ma78
Not sure about the seat bottom removal, after my dealer started messing with mine to fix the sensor I ended up needing a new bottom cover and a new heated seat heating element. But I do think it can be done. Brown is ground and I'm assuming yellow is airbag.

These are the photos, sorry not the best quality, but should be enough so you can see connections and wire colors, which should be enough if you can get your hands on a service manual to identify where each goes.

If it can be put together, it can be taken apart. It's just going to be a matter of effort. Have you ever seen this done?

Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
NO they had to take the car to the body shop and do a weeks worth of repairs so I didn't get to see them take it apart.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:34 PM
ma78
NO they had to take the car to the body shop and do a weeks worth of repairs so I didn't get to see them take it apart.
What was it that they were doing?

Old 11-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Well I brought it in to get it fixed and they rear-ended a BMW so I needed the front bumper re-done.

OR

They have replaced my heated seat element and airbag sensor, neither job I got to see get done though, but I've watched just about every other repair.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Seat Switch