Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7 Splitter Durability/Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:32 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
Yeah, looks like something there might do the trick. Can anyone with the M7 take a close-up shot of the turnbuckle? I'm curious how it mounts to the splitter and the fender. Also, if anyone's got a measurement of the length of the shaft and/or the fasteners, that would be great!

It looks like something like THIS would work, if I can find the proper peice to attach to the fender and splitter (the peices that the ends of this would attach to):

Old 11-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Thenks MSFITOY!

Does anyone know if the turnbuckes can be had as a seperate componant from anyplace? I'm honestly torn between this unit and the one that StoopidGirl's selling over in the Marketplace forum - problem is I like her unit's looks better but it doesn't have the cool support peices.

look how cool....even in matching CF

www.ecstuning.com carries these (they are even an ohio company)

Old 11-27-2006, 06:45 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I have a set of these but found them too short (needs another inch)
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
look how cool....even in matching CF

www.ecstuning.com carries these (they are even an ohio company)

Old 11-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Yah, but he was looking to fit it to the other CF splitter (which doesnt undergo downforce), he could take the links up to the black lip right?

Old 11-27-2006, 07:26 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Can you send a link to the product page for these, please? I can only search by vehicle on ECS Tuning's site and I'm not sure where you found these... Also, how much do they cost? The all-metal marine ones are really, really expensive...

And yeah, I was thinking about fitting these to THIS SPLITTER that StoopidGirl's offering - I like the up-curling ends. Since these do not have standoffs, I assume that they don't need them.

EDIT: Never mind - found them. They make a 45mm and a 70mm version - the 45mm ones were too short MSFITOY or did you try the 70mm ones? ?

The only challenge I see in installing these is fitting them to the splitter itself. You can take the fender peice off to fit the nut/bolt, but how would you do it to the spitter peice? Hmmmmmmmmm.... Maybe the M7 one is the better way to go... I dunno. ::: ponder :::

Old 11-27-2006, 08:03 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Just another word of caution...and remember I told you so, but...You're gonna rip that spoiler right off in the first month No matter how careful you are, you're going to scrape going up steep driveways with that thing hanging down and any road kill you encounter will ruin your day...

Stick with M7...
Can you send a link to the product page for these, please? I can only search by vehicle on ECS Tuning's site and I'm not sure where you found these... Also, how much do they cost? The all-metal marine ones are really, really expensive...

And yeah, I was thinking about fitting these to THIS SPLITTER that StoopidGirl's offering - I like the up-curling ends. Since these do not have standoffs, I assume that they don't need them.

EDIT: Never mind - found them. They make a 45mm and a 70mm version - the 45mm ones were too short MSFITOY or did you try the 70mm ones? ?

The only challenge I see in installing these is fitting them to the splitter itself. You can take the fender peice off to fit the nut/bolt, but how would you do it to the spitter peice? Hmmmmmmmmm.... Maybe the M7 one is the better way to go... I dunno. ::: ponder :::

Old 11-27-2006, 08:24 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I thought it only hung down a little way past the part that dangles under the bumper as it is. There's a vertical "lip" under there that hangs down a few incches as it is. People seem of multiple opinions about the possibility of losing this to road debris. Honestly the main appeal of the non-M7 one (besides the upturned ends) is the fact that you DON'T need stand-offs with it. I'd sort of like to install it for a few weeks with no supports and see how I like it, since once I drill holes for the stand-offs then there's no reversing it.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I thought it only hung down a little way past the part that dangles under the bumper as it is. There's a vertical "lip" under there that hangs down a few incches as it is. People seem of multiple opinions about the possibility of losing this to road debris. Honestly the main appeal of the non-M7 one (besides the upturned ends) is the fact that you DON'T need stand-offs with it. I'd sort of like to install it for a few weeks with no supports and see how I like it, since once I drill holes for the stand-offs then there's no reversing it.
Just my opinion but just about everyone has scraped their lower "flexible" air dam one time or another...given that this factory dam is farther back and has less approach angle to deal with, the solid spoiler sitting down an inch or two greatly lowers your approach angle...Also, the fact that it does not use standoffs is due to the fact that it solidly bolted to your bumper which means when you do strike this piece, either from road debrie or ramp, you will also damage your bumper...food for thought...

Old 11-27-2006, 10:07 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I wish I could get an actual side-view photo of that other splitter on a NON lowered car.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice! must resist and keep credit card in wallet and not order M7 splitter

Originally Posted by Longboard Mini

Old 11-27-2006, 02:22 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
I just contacted M7
Hardware replacement (2 standoffs)

$24 + shipping

Old 11-27-2006, 02:29 PM
trackster
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I noticed with the Hamman and its clones is that when looking down from directly obove they hardley protude at all into the air stream. They may pick up something on the ends but the middle isn't doing much. This of course matters only if you are looking to get any real benefit downforce wise for track use .

Old 11-27-2006, 02:45 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
The function of a splitter is to "split" the high pressure air flow from above and below the plane of the splitter...it functions optimally at 0 degree attack angle forcing high pressure air above it to travel the long route over/around the front end...effectively piling up on top of the splitter...the portion below speeds along the bottom of the car...the high pressure air at the front/top exerts downforce on the front end of the vehicle...

That said, M7's splitter does what a splitter is suppose to do...I'm not trying to sell one...many people have built their own splitters because the principle is so simple yet so effective...if I were to improve on this design, I would extend the lip another inch and rearward to cover the bottom of the motor...the standoff's primary function is to keep the splitter level and support the weight of the high pressure...not for adjusting angle of attack...if you force the splitter to tip down, you have effectively transformed the design 30 years back into the "air dam"... The reason the "splitter" is more effective than the obsolete "air dam" is it does not cause parasitic drag...

Moving on to the Hamman knock offs...it is neither a good splitter nor a good air dam...it causes drag...is prone to damage...it is primarily a show piece that "looks" like it will serve something more useful in 2F2F...IMDO...

Old 11-27-2006, 03:15 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
I am going to side with MSFITOY ... well put

(it did take me a moment to get "2F2F")

Old 11-27-2006, 03:25 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
One more thing...to optimise the splitter, it is best to trim away the lower flexible air dam which will also provide greater ramp/roadkill clearance

Old 11-27-2006, 03:40 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
One more thing...to optimise the splitter, it is best to trim away the lower flexible air dam which will also provide greater ramp/roadkill clearance
That would also help those "wing things" that some have EVEN more better...
OOPS sorry didn't want to start THAT discussion again

Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 PM
cycleguru
4th Gear
I purchased the carbon supports a while back for my M7 splitter.Thanks to a previous post from Rally. They fit perfect. Thanks Rally

Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
M7 and the Radford splitter (the one on their Miglia model, pic below) They look pretty much the same, but are they the same?
Seems like Radford do not put any support on their splitter, Can M7 install without the support?
Any input would be appreciate.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:21 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
If it's thin like M7's, it's too weak to support the downforce without standoffs...