Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7 Splitter Durability/Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006 | 03:28 PM
uscfan
|
3rd Gear
M7 Splitter Durability/Impressions

I am thinking about picking up an M7 splitter this x-mas as a present for my MCS. My only concern is that I eventually want to lower my car, and there are also a lot of speed bumps where I live. So, for those of you that have a splitter, is you car lowered? How long have you had the splitter on? Have you had any problems in terms of scraping or scratching during speed bumps or inclines? And how has it held up since you've put it on?

Old 11-21-2006 | 03:44 PM
vm
4th Gear
I don't have a splitter, but if you want to low 1"+ the MINI will be useless with bumps and ramps.

Old 11-21-2006 | 03:51 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
I've had an m7 Splitter for quite a while. The car is lowered with H-Sport Springs and I scrape the factory air lip that hangs down behind the splitter. I have only had the splitter scrape a couple of times, and then it was very minor. The hardware for the braces hit before the actual splitter does.
Ask Randy from m7 how well his has stood up.
Hope this helps,
Jim

Old 11-21-2006 | 03:53 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by uscfan
I am thinking about picking up an M7 splitter this x-mas as a present for my MCS. My only concern is that I eventually want to lower my car, and there are also a lot of speed bumps where I live. So, for those of you that have a splitter, is you car lowered? How long have you had the splitter on? Have you had any problems in terms of scraping or scratching during speed bumps or inclines? And how has it held up since you've put it on?
55,000 miles, 130+ and still holding... Even flew over a few roadkills at night that made some nasty racket under the Mini but never damaged the splitter...

If you don't watch your speed over speed bumps and clearance towards parking curbs...you will break not only the splitter but your bumper with it...with or without the splitter...

Yes mine is very lowered...

Old 11-21-2006 | 03:57 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
I've got the Strassentech front lip with HSports, and when I run with 15" wheels (205/50) (Flik Fuels), I scrape on speed bumps, and everywhere I go. It's really not a practical daily driver combo.

With 17" wheels (205/45) Flik Bullets, I only scrape on speed bumps if I take it too fast--but if slow down, like how speed bumps are supposed to make you do--I no longer scrape.

I've scraped my lip only on steep driveways, otherwise it's always the lower portion of the factory lip.

So I think it depends a lot on wheel size and how you drive.

Richard

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:02 PM
vm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
55,000 miles, 130+ and still holding... Even flew over a few roadkills at night that made some nasty racket under the Mini but never damaged the splitter...

Yes mine is very lowered...
What your saying is that my speed bumps are really walls? I have some problems with some of them. If it's liveable, I'll like it on my next MINI.

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:03 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Beware of add ons like Hammon splitters...they are nearly an inch or more below the bottom of the bumper...

M7 splitter is a thin CF plate that does not create additional clearance problems that you may already have from lowering your Mini...maybe add another 1/4"

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:07 PM
uscfan
|
3rd Gear
I run 215/45/17 and don't go over speed bumps too fast, so I guess I should be fine. I just worry that lowering the Mini and adding a splitter won't leave very much ground clearance for debris I might run into on the road. But from what Msfittoy says, I guess I shouldn't be too worried. I thought I remembered reading a while ago about someone who had an M7 splitter that hit some debris on the highway and tore off part of their front bumper. But maybe that was on M/U.

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:10 PM
uscfan
|
3rd Gear
Hmm...1/4" more doesn't sound too bad. If I lower the car it will probably only be about 1" with H-sports, so with that combo I should be fine.

Beware of add ons like Hammon splitters...they are nearly an inch or more below the bottom of the bumper...

M7 splitter is a thin CF plate that does not create additional clearance problems that you may already have from lowering your Mini...maybe add another 1/4"

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:17 PM
Scooby03
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by uscfan
I run 215/45/17 and don't go over speed bumps too fast, so I guess I should be fine. I just worry that lowering the Mini and adding a splitter won't leave very much ground clearance for debris I might run into on the road. But from what Msfittoy says, I guess I shouldn't be too worried. I thought I remembered reading a while ago about someone who had an M7 splitter that hit some debris on the highway and tore off part of their front bumper. But maybe that was on M/U.
That might of been me. I jumped a culvert and broke part of it. Did more damage to the bumper and side molding than the splitter. My MINI is lowered and running 40's. I will be putting a new splitter (M7) on my Aero kit.

Old 11-21-2006 | 07:41 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
I just installed mine last night. I still have a few things to button up before I take it out on it's first trip. It looks great! Randy and Peter have top notch service too. I'm not too worried about it scraping. Randy has used his longer than anyone and it's seen a couple of off track excursions, still looks perfect. I'd say it's pretty sturdy.

Old 11-22-2006 | 08:17 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Is the splitter functional at all? Does it help aerodynamics at certain speeds, or is this a style mod?

Thanks!

mb

Old 11-22-2006 | 09:34 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Does anyone have a photo of the ENTIRE splitter from different angles? All I can find on Detriot Tuned's site is a partial shot of the splitter and one turnbuckle. I want to see what the ends of the splitter look like please.

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2006 | 02:28 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Does anyone have a photo of the ENTIRE splitter from different angles? All I can find on Detriot Tuned's site is a partial shot of the splitter and one turnbuckle. I want to see what the ends of the splitter look like please.

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2006 | 02:34 PM
cycleguru
4th Gear
I've had my front splitter on for about 1,000 miles and i live in a community that has a ton of speed bumps. As long as i go over them slow i'm fine. I also have H-sport springs. The only thing that i scrape sometimes when i hit a "whoop dee do" in the road is the very bottom lip of my OEM aero front end. Which is located at least 12" farther back from the front of the splitter. But my M7 aero front splitter has cleared so far. I love the look. Its all about the functional "BLING" Don't you know

You can see some pics at my Gallery or the latest issue of MC2.

Old 11-22-2006 | 02:54 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Thenks MSFITOY!

Does anyone know if the turnbuckes can be had as a seperate componant from anyplace? I'm honestly torn between this unit and the one that StoopidGirl's selling over in the Marketplace forum - problem is I like her unit's looks better but it doesn't have the cool support peices.

Old 11-22-2006 | 03:33 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Thenks MSFITOY!

Does anyone know if the turnbuckes can be had as a seperate componant from anyplace? I'm honestly torn between this unit and the one that StoopidGirl's selling over in the Marketplace forum - problem is I like her unit's looks better but it doesn't have the cool support peices.
As long as it's approximately 6" end to end (with some adjustments), you'll be ok to use any brand of standoffs

Just remember...the other design is cool looking but extends down another 1" plus so you'll need to be extra careful...

From the performance view, a flat/horizontal splitter like the M7 is more functional...and more forgiving...

Old 11-23-2006 | 08:39 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I'm hoping someone will post a picture of the underside of that splitter - I've heard it sticks down as little as 1/4" some places and up to an inch other places.

I'll try searching for "standoff" - looking up "turnbuckle" got me lots of hardware for guy-wire applications.

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2006 | 08:47 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I'm hoping someone will post a picture of the underside of that splitter - I've heard it sticks down as little as 1/4" some places and up to an inch other places.

I'll try searching for "standoff" - looking up "turnbuckle" got me lots of hardware for guy-wire applications.

Thanks!
Sorry I can't get my camera that low but I'll see if a friendly snail can take a pic

The bolts may stick down a little farther if you don't trim them but an inch? No Way...

You can find these types of standoff at your friendly sailboat shop...

Old 11-24-2006 | 11:13 AM
Jonwalks
1st Gear
I have an M7 Splitter

the M7 splitter not only looks great but it has not bottomed out yet and i have alot of speed bumps in my area too. is very sturdy and the silver hanger connections look great. the only warning is if you are pullin into a space with a parking stopper you have to be very carful b/c if you hit it that splitter is gone

Last edited by Jonwalks; 03-21-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2006 | 11:31 AM
CooperSS
4th Gear
Here is a closer look at the splitter.

My car is pretty low and the splitter has survived many a mile.

You can see the splitter does not lower the front end very much at all.

Bill

Old 11-24-2006 | 11:41 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
I have had mine for about a year. I really like the way it looks. It is small and clean looking. The others are big and just don't look right to me.

Like said before, you just need to be careful around parking blocks and curbs.

Longboard

Old 11-26-2006 | 10:26 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Sorry I can't get my camera that low but I'll see if a friendly snail can take a pic

The bolts may stick down a little farther if you don't trim them but an inch? No Way...

You can find these types of standoff at your friendly sailboat shop...

Can anyone give me help finding hardware ???
A link, company etc ?

Old 11-26-2006 | 10:31 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Old 11-26-2006 | 11:09 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Nice photos! I need to take my MINI someplace nice and get a few pictures worth sharing. The Aero Splitter looks great--CooperSS.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior M7 Splitter Durability/Impressions