Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Need a betatester for our downtube covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:45 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
where is the problem arising?

Well, in the 05/06 MINIs the downtubes slide out from the bottom (they cannot be pulled out from the top). So, basically it is nearly impossible to put the downtube through the bottom with the thickness added from the leather.

I am going to go down to the garage to give it another shot right now though.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:49 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Meh......

The current design is not going to work in the 05/06 without some serious modification.

I even cut off the flanged lip at the bottom of the downtube to see if I could make it work, and I kind of got it, but it still needs some work. I am going to bed but can post some pictures to show what I mean tommorow.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:12 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Vendor
I don't get it. So the only way to remove the downtubes is to remove the bottom sockets and slide the downtubes through the sockets? If you can pull them through, why can't you just push them out?

Secondly, the only place of the downtube the cover needs to grab is the very top, where the corners of the cover grab the top corners of the taller part of the downtube.

The rest of the downtube cover is held with velcro, which you can open and close whenever you need.

So why not just slide the tube down just a bit to grab the top corners, then push it back up and reinstall, then use the velcro strips to put the cover on?

Maciek

Old 12-27-2006, 06:23 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Vendor
Everyone,

by the way, the downtube covers are already available for ordering on our website:

http://www.redlinegoods.com/productsMini.shtm

Thank you,
Maciek

Last edited by RedlineGoods.com; 12-27-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RedlineGoods.com
Everyone,

by the way, the downtube covers are already available for ordering on our website:

http://www.redlinegoods.com/productsMINI.shtm

Thank you,
Maciek
Link doesnt work for me. And the link under mini products that says downtubes just takes me to the armrest cover page.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:17 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
I don't get it. So the only way to remove the downtubes is to remove the bottom sockets and slide the downtubes through the sockets? If you can pull them through, why can't you just push them out?

Secondly, the only place of the downtube the cover needs to grab is the very top, where the corners of the cover grab the top corners of the taller part of the downtube.

The rest of the downtube cover is held with velcro, which you can open and close whenever you need.

So why not just slide the tube down just a bit to grab the top corners, then push it back up and reinstall, then use the velcro strips to put the cover on?

Maciek

Hey Maciek,

That is correct, the only way to get them out in the 05/06 is to pull them through the bottom. It is impossible to push them through the top because the new design of the downtubes expands at the bottom making the dimensions larger than the opening of the sockets.

I am going to post some pictures in a little bit.

I have not given up yet!!

Old 12-27-2006, 07:48 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
OH OH.. I hope this gets worked out... I had just ordered a set on Monday for my 06

Old 12-27-2006, 07:57 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm kind of curious too, although I'm not going to be covering my CF downtubes anytime soon.

Although I don't have the covers in my hand to look at, it seems like the installation of the covers on the later downtubes would just involve loosening the tops of the downtubes and pulling them away from the center console, hooking the covers over the tops, then wrapping the covers around the back and fastening them with velcro. Then, trim off the cover at the bottom, right before it would enter the rings in the console.

There must be more to it than that, though, since people are having problems.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:43 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
I have failed you, Maciek .

I gave up after working on it for 3 hours today. I even sawed off the bottom part of my downtubes to make then just like the earlier downtubes, and I still cannot figure out how to get these on.

Any tips ?

Originally Posted by riquiscott
I'm kind of curious too, although I'm not going to be covering my CF downtubes anytime soon.

Although I don't have the covers in my hand to look at, it seems like the installation of the covers on the later downtubes would just involve loosening the tops of the downtubes and pulling them away from the center console, hooking the covers over the tops, then wrapping the covers around the back and fastening them with velcro. Then, trim off the cover at the bottom, right before it would enter the rings in the console.

There must be more to it than that, though, since people are having problems.

I guess you could trim it, but I prefer a more finished look of it wrapping it into the tubes.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:11 PM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Link doesnt work for me. And the link under mini products that says downtubes just takes me to the armrest cover page.
Fixed: http://www.redlinegoods.com/productsMini.shtm

and yes, there are armrests on that page, we don't have any pics of the downtubes (we need higher res than what TWISTER has sent us) yet.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 PM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
Any tips ?

I guess you could trim it, but I prefer a more finished look of it wrapping it into the tubes.
Well if you read my post a few posts above I wrote how it should be done. I'm really surprised what could have changed with the design to make it so difficult. Here's what I'd do:

1) Remove tubes and sockets from the car.

2) Slide the tubes down the sockets just a bit to hook up the top of the covers.

3) Slide them back in.

4) Wrap around and grab with velcro provided.

5) Reinstall the sockets.

I really can't understand what could have changed in the design to make this impossible. Could you post some pics please?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:34 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CustomAV
Twister,

What I am curious about is how well the leather sits at the bottom and slides into the base of the dash for the downtubes.

If you look in my gallery you will see (and I know you saw them at the dragon) that I covered my downtubes but during the first try the leather bunched until I learned that I needed to wrap the leather completely up into the tiube so that it didn't bunch up.

Can you show a close up of that area?

I have actually done my armrests as well and that is a time consuming process but not hard. Now the only problem is that I am almost out of material and trying to match is almost impossible so I am thinking of having Maciek make me a new set of boots, tube covers, armrests and then sell me a bunch of matching material.

thanks!
Only about 2cm slide down into DT area at bottom. I had to take a credit card and manipulate into the sockets. I do think the velcro needs to be reversed so that the flaps are toward the front of the car, not to the inside. The excess that tucks into the area at radio and such could be a little longer. Other than that I like the look and I'm going to try and get the cupholder back on soon. I only have the 2 small ones now as I just installed a MINI Fini Armrest.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Well if you read my post a few posts above I wrote how it should be done. I'm really surprised what could have changed with the design to make it so difficult. Here's what I'd do:

1) Remove tubes and sockets from the car.

2) Slide the tubes down the sockets just a bit to hook up the top of the covers.

3) Slide them back in.

4) Wrap around and grab with velcro provided.

5) Reinstall the sockets.

I really can't understand what could have changed in the design to make this impossible. Could you post some pics please?

Hey Maciek,

This method should work, and I will give it a shot in a little bit here.

One problem, that twister already mentioned, is the side that tucks in next to the radio is too short in my opinion. I could not figure out how to make it stay in place, it would always just pop back out.

The main difficulty I was having earlier was finding a way to tuck all the excess leather down in. There just is not enough room to get all of it in there.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:28 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Vendor
TWISTER: So you're saying the overlapping piece of velcro should be mounted on the other side than it is now, rigth? The location of the velcro strips is OK but the way they close should be reversed - is that the right understanding?

Skitelluride: how about just trimming the leather on the bottom then? We made is 2cm but the idea was that is just needs to be a few milimeters below the top edge of the bottom mounts. If 2cm is too much, why not just trim it say 1.5 and leave just .5cm below the top edge of the holders?

Maciek

Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
Hey Maciek,

This method should work, and I will give it a shot in a little bit here.

One problem, that twister already mentioned, is the side that tucks in next to the radio is too short in my opinion. I could not figure out how to make it stay in place, it would always just pop back out.

The main difficulty I was having earlier was finding a way to tuck all the excess leather down in. There just is not enough room to get all of it in there.

Here's where I'm getting stuck (conceptually). If I slide the tubes down, put the cover over the tops and then reseat the bottom sockets so that I can reinstall the downtube mounting screws; how do I get the bottom tucked into the sockets after all is assembled?

Thanks,

Richard

Old 12-29-2006, 08:59 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by hopper
Here's where I'm getting stuck (conceptually). If I slide the tubes down, put the cover over the tops and then reseat the bottom sockets so that I can reinstall the downtube mounting screws; how do I get the bottom tucked into the sockets after all is assembled?

Thanks,

Richard

Get a plastic razor blade, or a credit card or something like that and tuck it in there using that. I would not recommend using a flathead screwdriver though as I tried that and it scratches up the bottom of the leather.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:59 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
TWISTER: So you're saying the overlapping piece of velcro should be mounted on the other side than it is now, rigth? The location of the velcro strips is OK but the way they close should be reversed - is that the right understanding?
Maciek
Yes

Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Old 12-29-2006, 01:12 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
I got one side installed somewhat successfully. Going to do the other side here in a bit.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:25 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Here is a picture with the leather downtubes installed. I will get some better pictures tommorow...

and this one is perhaps a bit more eye pleasing :

Old 01-06-2007, 11:13 AM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
Can I please get the status of my order??
I ordered on 25 Dec and havent heard a hide or hair!
maybe I should check my payPal account?
I was post 70 in this thread.............

Old 01-06-2007, 01:31 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by K4KAS
Can I please get the status of my order??
I ordered on 25 Dec and havent heard a hide or hair!
maybe I should check my payPal account?
I was post 70 in this thread.............
It takes a while . They are shipped directly from Europe so expect 7-10 days of travel. And, with holidays such as Christmas and New Years Day, it probably takes even longer.

My leather downtubes took about 12 days after I ordered them to arrive.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:36 PM
K4KAS
3rd Gear
Ahh I see!
I didnt realize they were in Europe!
Ok,all my worries have been put in the dirt!
Thanks Skitelluride!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:17 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
I just received mine today and w/o going out and putting them on the car (too late today) I'm thinking there have been adjustments made to the design relating to the beta commets... My pieces appear to have the velcro wrapping the other direction as suggested, also.. On the original parts do they 'wrap/velcro' all the way up? The parts I have only have the "wrap" beginning just below the bottom and the top is excess material that I guess "tucks" against the radio? Is this correct? (I want to have all my thoughts together before I go to install).

Edit: After seeing the downtubes actually off I can see how it wouldn't wrap.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 PM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Vendor
Hi eenieMini,

the welcro does not go all the way up. The bottom holds around the edges of the taller half of the downtube and velcro begins a few inches below the top and about 1" from the bottom. The bottom tucks into the sockets (credit card, I hear, is the best way to get it down there).

You might want to trim it instead if you don't want to bother with tucking.

Maciek

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Need a betatester for our downtube covers