Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior MINI Custom Paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006 | 03:36 PM
brassknuckle
|
2nd Gear
MINI Custom Paint job?

Hey, my first post here, just wondering if anyone has had an aftermarket paint job done on their mini? My wife has a 05 mini, silver with black roof, and the paint job is really poor quality. I am not sure if all mini's paint is like ours, but its almost as if the factory forgot to clear coat it. The mini is stored outside but is covered alot of the time, however the paint has large mineral deposits on it and the roof has some paint chipping off. I am pretty sure the cause of it is a combo of poor paint and living next to a resovoir.(water evoporates off and settles when the sunsets, however my F150 is not effected) I am currently dealing with Mini to have a mechanical problem fixed which is much more complicated than it should be, and I have not brought up poor paint with dealer yet. I am just wondering if I wanted to get the mini repainted for my wife can anyone suggest a place or have info on cost, or anything. I live in LA. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-11-2006 | 05:41 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I would let the dealer handle it. The paint should be warrantied and then they'll also have to cover the repair should any further issues arise. I wouldn't pay to get it done myself when it's covered by warranty and they would have to continue to cover any further (god forbid) issues.

Old 12-11-2006 | 08:18 PM
brassknuckle
|
2nd Gear
vI am going to attempt that route, but so far my experience with MiniUSA and my dealer has not been good. Basically our mini has a strange mechanical noise when going from a cold start and shifting into first gear. Our dealer agreeed with the issue, but said they did not know how to fix it or what the cause was. I am still waiting for the regional tech to go over my mini. So for me, the dealer does not know what time it is if you know what I mean, but I will for sure give it a shot! No one has had any mini paint issues but me? bummer.

Old 12-11-2006 | 08:53 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by brassknuckle
I am going to attempt that route, but so far my experience with MiniUSA and my dealer has not been good. Basically our mini has a strange mechanical noise when going from a cold start and shifting into first gear. Our dealer agreeed with the issue, but said they did not know how to fix it or what the cause was. I am still waiting for the regional tech to go over my mini. So for me, the dealer does not what time it is if you know what I mean, but I will for sure give it a shot! No one has had any mini paint issues but me? bummer.
brassknuckle... does your MINI come equipped with the Limited Slip Differential (LSD) option? If so, I'd be willing to bet that the mechanical noise is simply the wrong fluid in the differential. It's a known problem that occurs in a LOT of LSD transmissions (which were only available for 01/05 builds and onwards). It doesn't cause any damage, but the noise is annoying. There is a TSB to fix it... I used to have the problem but my dealer replaced the fluid and the sound is gone.

Old 12-11-2006 | 09:04 PM
brassknuckle
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
brassknuckle... does your MINI come equipped with the Limited Slip Differential (LSD) option? If so, I'd be willing to bet that the mechanical noise is simply the wrong fluid in the differential. It's a known problem that occurs in a LOT of LSD transmissions (which were only available for 01/05 builds and onwards). It doesn't cause any damage, but the noise is annoying. There is a TSB to fix it... I used to have the problem but my dealer replaced the fluid and the sound is gone.
To be honest I am not sure about that, LSD was standard on all minis or an option. I know my truck has it, but not sure about he mini. Do you any info link info for the TSB on it? Thanks!

Old 12-11-2006 | 09:34 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
To be honest I am not sure about that, LSD was standard on all minis or an option. I know my truck has it, but not sure about he mini. Do you any info link info for the TSB on it? Thanks!
I don't have the TSB number or link handy, sorry... but the dealer should be able to look up the TSB and fix it under warranty... assuming of course your MINI DOES have the LSD option.

I don't suppose you still have the build sheet that came on the window? They actually give you two... one on the window, the other with your owner's manual.

The build sheet would tell you exactly if you have the LSD.

LSD has never been standard equipment on the MINI, it was always an option, but only for MINIs built 01/05 or later. If your 2005 MINI was built in 12/04 or earlier, then it definitely doesn't have LSD, and the noise is something else.

Old 12-11-2006 | 09:38 PM
brassknuckle
|
2nd Gear
Edge, thanks I have the build sheet and will look it up, but I do not recall having a slip dif. I do hope its that simple! thanks.

Old 12-14-2006 | 02:31 PM
brassknuckle
|
2nd Gear
Edge, just looked at window sticker, no LSD on mini, hoping to get regional tech to see our mini before 2007!

Old 12-14-2006 | 02:56 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Edge, just looked at window sticker, no LSD on mini, hoping to get regional tech to see our mini before 2007!
Ahh OK... yes, it was a $500 option (again, only for 01/05 MINI builds and newer), so it should have been pretty distinctive on the window build sheet... although they don't call it LSD, they spell it all out: "Limited Slip Differential".

It must be something else then. Good luck getting it fixed!

Old 12-14-2006 | 05:28 PM
brassknuckle
|
2nd Gear
thanks anyway, not sure why its so diffucult to get mini to fix my car!

Old 12-14-2006 | 05:52 PM
lambspeed
3rd Gear
If your looking for something custom, feel free to check out my site.

www.lambspeed.com

Any color under the rainbow is waiting for you!

Old 12-15-2006 | 08:04 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Back to the paint issue... I don't recall hearing of anyone with bad paint issues. My car is a black '03 and has lived it's life outside in the hot southern climate with no problems.

You should definately have the dealer take care of it.