Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Retrofit 3 Piece Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 02:54 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
Retrofit 3 Piece Dash

I bought a 3 piece anthracite dash for my 2002. Do you think it will fit? It hasnt gotten here yet, but should arrive anyday. Im removing the airbag out of the passenger side(im adding sparco racing seats and harness's) so the airbag wont be a problem.

Old 12-12-2006 | 03:01 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
As long as you're removing the airbag, you should be fine.
The left side fits just fine (I have an '05 in my '04), and the middle is the same. The right side should snap in, though you'll need to 'help it' a bit to stabilize the inside edge. There are several screws on the bottom that hold in the stock '02 piece - you can likely glue a tab or two to the '05+ piece to hold it in there.
I just swapped my alloy dash for anthracite. I've had the right side for quite some time, but didn't want to risk bashing my passenger in the face with a piece of dash moving at 100mph so I waited for a stock <'05 piece.

Old 12-12-2006 | 03:07 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
yeah i was worried about the airbag too. However i see no probem taking it out since im going with harness's and race seats.

Old 12-12-2006 | 04:10 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Make sure you add the diod/resistor whatever is needed thingamaboby to the airbag harness so your airbag light wont be on. Make sure to do all this before you ever turn the key in the ignition once you start or you will be making a trip to the dealership....

I wish I knew you had wanted the whole dash as I am going to sell mine now...

Old 12-12-2006 | 05:49 PM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CustomAV
Make sure you add the diod/resistor whatever is needed thingamaboby to the airbag harness so your airbag light wont be on. Make sure to do all this before you ever turn the key in the ignition once you start or you will be making a trip to the dealership....

I wish I knew you had wanted the whole dash as I am going to sell mine now...
Thanks, but i was able to pick this one up for an insane price. FREE! My friend crashed his mini and let me take it off since its gunna be totalled. I sent it off to a shop to be painted thats why I havent gotten them back yet. I also got his "S" side repeaters and a cup holder haha

Old 12-13-2006 | 12:01 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
I stil need a dash, how much ya want av?

Old 12-13-2006 | 07:31 AM
Jtrem
|
6th Gear
I believe he wanted $200, not sure though.

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:20 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Jtrem
yeah i was worried about the airbag too. However i see no probem taking it out since im going with harness's and race seats.
So i assume that means you are gonna be getting a roll bar or roll cage so that the harnesses have somewhere to attach to? What kind of racing do you do that calls for full-time harnesses rather than the schroths which allow you to run normal belts when driving on the street.

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:21 AM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Can you not run the schroth harness as a full time belt?

Just curious as I plan on using the schroth as the full time belts. I already do for the driver but was going to do it for the passenger as well Yes my airbags are all still in place.

just curious

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:32 AM
BE4TNUT
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
So i assume that means you are gonna be getting a roll bar or roll cage so that the harnesses have somewhere to attach to? What kind of racing do you do that calls for full-time harnesses rather than the schroths which allow you to run normal belts when driving on the street.
+1 to Rally, don't you need a roll bar or cage like Rally stated, to fasten race seats to in case they sliders that hold it to the floor do not hold in the event of a crash? In that case your passenger will be hit in teh fast with a big piece of stationary plastic (the dash). Is removing airbags on a street driven vehicle legal? I would assume its protected under some law for tampering with safety measures put into the vehicle. Dont know though... I wouldnt carry any passangers if I were you with no airbag there. If there is an accident and your passanger is severly injured, and they find out you removed their airbag you will be held responsible for their injury/death. If you really want to make a fast Cooper or S then save the weight and dont put in a passanger seat if you remove that airbag.

BEATNUT

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:35 AM
BE4TNUT
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CustomAV
Can you not run the schroth harness as a full time belt?

Just curious as I plan on using the schroth as the full time belts. I already do for the driver but was going to do it for the passenger as well Yes my airbags are all still in place.

just curious
The Scroth belts connect to the factory rear seatbelts to come up to the driver/passanger seats and fasten to the factory front seatbelt (female piece) and a 4th strap on the opposite side to that is bolted to the floor so all 4 points are securely fastened. The factory belt is still in place so you can un do the harness, reach over to your factory seatbelt and buckle up. No need to remove it or anything, that way it is there for the street and you can use your harness on the track.

You can use the Scroth harness as a full time belt but its not as easy as the foctory belt, if you are running errands this is going to be a hassle everytime you go to buckle up.

The reason JTREM says removing the airbag isnt an issue is that the person will be strapped in with a harness keeping them in the seat. So they will not hit the dash in an accident like many people do when using inventional belts (thats why airbags are in cars). There are some concerns with this that myself and Rally have voiced though.

The reason

BEATNUT