Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Front Fog Lamp Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Roadsailer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Fog Lamp Mounting

Apart from the fact that you will need a hole drilled for each lamp, is there any reason why no-one mounts their front fog lamps in the same way as we did on the classic Minis .... straight onto the front bumper? I own my Mini and cannot work out why I would want to pay someone for a bracket that is NOT REQUIRED???? Anyone got any comments??

Paul

Old 12-22-2006, 09:30 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Because it looks a lot cleaner. and who wants holes in there bumper?

Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. the bumpers are just covers made of a composite material and are pretty flimsy if used to support weight. Where as the Classic bumper were made of metal. I guess you could drill and find the actual metal bumper underneath.

2. Most current driving light housings are not shollow enough to fit the distance from a mounting location on the bumper to the grill on the bonnet.

These are just my opinions. correct me if I am wrong.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:38 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aren't there holes in the front bumper for the fog lights already? Even if you don't have fog lights ( I don't ), there is a hole with little black plastic louvers. Or, are you talking about driving lights.... can't say I recall seeing those in a hole, though

Wait, you mean just screwing them to the bumper, right, not burying the light in a hole. I think the "plastic, not metal" answer sounds like it.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Roadsailer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by davavd
Aren't there holes in the front bumper for the fog lights already? Even if you don't have fog lights ( I don't ), there is a hole with little black plastic louvers. Or, are you talking about driving lights.... can't say I recall seeing those in a hole, though

Wait, you mean just screwing them to the bumper, right, not burying the light in a hole. I think the "plastic, not metal" answer sounds like it.
I'm talking about fitting 'spot' lights on the front bumper. The lights that I have are only about 3" thick and could be fitted directly onto the top surface of the bumper, through into the metal. I just wondered if there was a reason for not putting them there. Any holes could be easily blanked with a rubber grommet if I ever took the lights off (which I have no intention of doing). I also intend to place a rubber washer between the mount and the bumper cover to 1. absorb a little of the vibrations and 2. to avoid causing any damage around the hole.

Paul

Old 12-22-2006, 10:25 AM
SeattleMiniMan
2nd Gear
You'll find that the plastic cover won't support much weight. Under the plastic cover (the painted part that you can see) is a small styrofoam-like impact absorber and then a metal reinforcement bar. The styrofoam-like material is made to crumple for low-speed impacts and the metal is for the harder impacts. You could drill into the metal impact bar for more support but that would require removing the plastic cover to see where to drill, etc. Believe me, the bracket is easier and cleaner.