Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Dashboard and Tach Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dashboard and Tach Help

Ok well the original reason for this post was to ask what you guys thought about getting the dash in blue Alcantara (suede). I have a lot of leftover Alcantara from when I did the shift/e-brake boots so yeah thats a thought.

I need help removing the needle from the tach. The how-to I have from a while ago says to pull up a little bit and then wiggle the needle off. Well needless to say, yeah that isn't working.. I don't know how much force I have to put to get it off without breaking the thing... Please Help! lol thanks in advance...

Old 12-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Anyone? Please.. I want to try to get this done today..

Old 12-24-2006, 11:54 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
Ok well the original reason for this post was to ask what you guys thought about getting the dash in blue Alcantara (suede). I have a lot of leftover Alcantara from when I did the shift/e-brake boots so yeah thats a thought.

I need help removing the needle from the tach. The how-to I have from a while ago says to pull up a little bit and then wiggle the needle off. Well needless to say, yeah that isn't working.. I don't know how much force I have to put to get it off without breaking the thing... Please Help! lol thanks in advance...

Yea...taking the needle off is not for the faint heart. The first time is always a b**** because it is hard to tell how hard to pull without breaking it. The best method I have found is to get a flat head screw driver, insert it in the space, and pry up a little bit. Try not to turn the needle when you are doing this because then your calibration will be all off when you put the needle back on (i.e. it will say 2000RPM's when you are actually at 5000 or something like that ) . It also good to mark where the needle is before you take it off so you can remember where to put it back.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:55 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
And by the way.... if you happen to accidently get the needle uncalibrated, let me know, because I know how to fix it.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:57 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
One more thing I forgot to mention...before prying off the needle, you DO have to remove the silver cover that is over it. Just making sure you did that. It just pops off.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Ok thanks for the help. I definitely didn't know that the little silver cap on the needle popped off.

Just tried popping it off now and nothing? Is it just a pressure fit? So I basically have to pull really hard to get it off?

Old 12-24-2006, 12:34 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Yes, you have to pull hard to get it off. But don't come crying to me if you break it . Basically, what I am saying is be reasonable in the force you apply to it as it is hard to describe how hard to pull over the internet.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
SUCCESS!! haha

Thanks skitelluride531! I manned up and took that b**** off. I'm excited as you can tell. Next up, speedo shall come off.. w00t

Merry Christmas btw

EDIT: Theres some pics in my gallery if anyone wants to see what the gauges look like apart...

Old 12-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Just saw this, for wny future readers I've found it help to use a fork under neath to disperse the pressure.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Also, it takes quite a bit of pressure to pull the silver cap on the needle off b/c its a sort of snap-fit. Then, I found that simply taking a flat head and twisting it will get the needle right off.

Also, if you happen to uncalibrate the needle, simply move it clockwise then counter-clockwise to see where it lies. And it get back to where it lies when the car is off... If it ever happens to you, you'll understand what I mean...

Old 12-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Are you dismantling the Speedo as well? (Do you have a center speedo?)

Speedo is speedometer not suit!!!

Old 12-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Are you dismantling the Speedo as well? (Do you have a center speedo?)

Speedo is speedometer not suit!!!
Yes I have a center speedo. And yes I will be dismantling that as well. Tomorrow most likely.

I don't understand this part of the post?

Old 12-24-2006, 04:37 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
I think he wants to make sure you are not wearing a speedo in the driveway and plan to take it off while removing your speedometer.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CustomAV
I think he wants to make sure you are not wearing a speedo in the driveway and plan to take it off while removing your speedometer.
Ohhhh LMAO that slipped right over my head..

Haha noooo I don't wear speedo's, nothing to worry about haha.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
I don't understand this part of the post?
Just about everytime I use the abbreviation someone comes along and starts making jokes about swimsuits.

Would you be willing to do me a favor while you have the speedo face off? I've modded my tach face and I'm interested in doing the same for the speedo but if at all possible I'd only like to have to separate it once, so I was wondering if you had a scanner if you could scan in and post actual size scans of the speedo face. I can even set you up with free hosting space for the images. And I know some who may vector it and make vynil applications for fellow MINIacs

More info on my tach process here

The kind of image of the center speedo I'm looking for

Old 12-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Just about everytime I use the abbreviation someone comes along and starts making jokes about swimsuits.

Would you be willing to do me a favor while you have the speedo face off? I've modded my tach face and I'm interested in doing the same for the speedo but if at all possible I'd only like to have to separate it once, so I was wondering if you had a scanner if you could scan in and post actual size scans of the speedo face. I can even set you up with free hosting space for the images. And I know some who may vector it and make vynil applications for fellow MINIacs

More info on my tach process here

The kind of image of the center speedo I'm looking for
I'll be more than happy to share both my scans (tach and speedo) once my gauges are finished. I'll be out of town early on the 26th until the 2nd. I should have the gauges finished the day after I get back. Let me know where I could host the full image (it's huge, scanning at 300dpi)

Also, in Photoshop, exactly how accurate is the "Print Size" option for Zoom. I've never really had to print something so exact before.

Oh and, I like the black/red on your tach. What font did you use for the "MOTOR ON?" Thinking of having something written in that same spot.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
I'll be more than happy to share both my scans (tach and speedo) once my gauges are finished. I'll be out of town early on the 26th until the 2nd. I should have the gauges finished the day after I get back. Let me know where I could host the full image (it's huge, scanning at 300dpi)

Also, in Photoshop, exactly how accurate is the "Print Size" option for Zoom. I've never really had to print something so exact before.

Oh and, I like the black/red on your tach. What font did you use for the "MOTOR ON?" Thinking of having something written in that same spot.
Zoto.com 2GB free image only hosting.

I'll have to dig up the PSD to get the font size for you. I think its 10 or 11 but I'm not sure, just made a text box typed it up highlight and played with it until it looked right. I scaned it in and just made sure not to fuss witht he cropping or edge sizes, so if you set the image in PS to 300 dpi it should handle the rest for you.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
SUCCESS X2! The Speedo (speedometer LOL) came off the car today, got the scan and now it is going back. I leave tomorrow but my dad is going to be driving the car for the week I'm gone lol.

I'll try and get those scans up today if possible. But it's not likely...

Merry Christmas to all!!

Old 12-25-2006, 11:18 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Merry christmas man, that's nice of you to share this with the rest of us, kudos to you!

Old 12-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
I'll try and get those scans up today if possible. But it's not likely...

Merry Christmas to all!!
Merry Chirstmas, take you time with the Scan Today is a day for family , Enjoy your trip

Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Foxtrot_Xray
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If scans are still needed, I have scans of a UK edition, US (2002) mode, and a US (post 2002) model...?

Me.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Well, got back from my trip today. My gauges are currently being made, custom of course. They should be done in a week or so. And the person making them for me will be selling custom MINI gauges. I'm not too sure about the price as I have not asked yet, but they will be available soon.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
@ Motor On, any luck with the font name and size? Also, I can e-mail you the scan if you want. I don't feel like signing up to host just 1 pic.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
@ Motor On, any luck with the font name and size? Also, I can e-mail you the scan if you want. I don't feel like signing up to host just 1 pic.
No luck yet only seems to try and create a new Text box Every time I try and select it to find out. If anyone has any tip on how to get it to select just that otherwise I may figure it out by just palying around with it.

E-Mail is in my profile I'd love if you could send it to me. And I will get a font and pt size for you just may be a little later tonight.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Eurostile 10pt BOLD Strong

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Dashboard and Tach Help