Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Palo Uber Light Bar (Installation Hell)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:00 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How 'bout the wiring problem you had - any assistance or was that a trial and error solution also?

Old 12-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Minibeast
4th Gear
Trial and error of course. Luckily I have a friend who is into Ham Radio down the street. He helped me go through and test everything until we figured out where the problem was.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:33 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Great..... It's definitely not a DIY job for me then...not yet anyway. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll wait for Palo Uber to improve the instructions a bit.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Minibeast
4th Gear
Now that I know where the wiring problem lies it should be realitvely simple install for the wiring. The most difficult part is the tightening of the nuts on the lamps themselves which must be done AFTER the bumper is remounted back to the car.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Carol@PaloUberMini.com
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipgrafx
Eventually I'd like to add lights to my car and I'm torn between the Alta bar and this Palo Uber bar. Currently I'm leaning heavily towards the Alta bar in part because of this thread.

What I'm really confused about is this statement from the Palo Uber site:
But then in the directions (pdf) that is linked above, the second 'step' in the directions is:
They claim no drilling yet the second thing you're supposed to do is drill?!? Am I missing something?
Came across your thread about palo uber claiming their is no drilling required when there is....to set the record correctley lets call like it is. There is absolutley no drilling or leveling of steel when installing the light bar by palo uber mini london. This is clearly stated in the product description of the light bar on the online store. The only drilling is through your lower plastic dam which, unlike all competitors, allows your lamp post to be mounted to the laser cut tabs which are completely consealed inside your lower dam. There is no drilling of steel like all of the competion, only plastic .....The palo uber mini company prides themselves on producing the worlds finest product. Unlike the competition, our light bar is stainless steel and powder coated. Unlike the competion our wiring harness is not strands of exposed wires but professionally compiled of the highest grade wire and fittings and then fully bound, sealed for moisture resistant enjoyment. We have attempted to provide a complete kit including fuses , relays and quick connects along with powder coated faceplates etc.We always look for a better way to improve our product that other manufacturers continually try to duplicate. Always feel free to contact me directley if you are frustrated or have a better idea on how to do what we are trying to assist all of you in accomplishing.
Bryce Smythson managing director global operations, the palo uber mini london company. US-949-725-7983 cell US 949-933-9754
We sincerely appreciate your business and we sincerely want your feed back.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Carol@PaloUberMini.com
producing the worlds finest product.
That's a pretty strong statement

Old 01-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
That's a pretty strong statement

You must admist thou, the stuff they are coming out with is pretty cool stuff and very good quality. Lightbar, rear spoiler etc.

I will post my details, I should be getting that light bar very soon

Old 01-01-2007, 04:58 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Passat774
You must admist thou, the stuff they are coming out with is pretty cool stuff and very good quality. Lightbar, rear spoiler etc.

The alta looks to be alot nicer than the palo uber.

and that spoiler... i hate to break it to you, it can be had for 45 bucks on ebay...

I dont like beating on vendors, but this palo uber thing sounds pretty fishy to me.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
The alta looks to be alot nicer than the palo uber.

and that spoiler... i hate to break it to you, it can be had for 45 bucks on ebay...

I dont like beating on vendors, but this palo uber thing sounds pretty fishy to me.

Please send me the link to the spolier that works and looks the same please

Save me $250 !!

Old 01-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Curious what that spolier produces downforce wise?

Old 01-01-2007, 05:32 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Curious what that spolier produces downforce wise?
It creates a bling vortex that forces the car to the ground with the power of $325!

Old 01-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
It creates a bling vortex that forces the car to the ground with the power of $325!

It appears to extend the stock spoiler (which produces no more downforce than the dead weight hanging off the back).

Old 01-01-2007, 05:36 PM
chipgrafx
2nd Gear
What makes the $550 stripes so much better than any other vinyl on the market?

Not trying to start trouble but you have to admit... that's a bit outrageous for some stripes.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:41 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
We should probably just keep this over on mu as to not anger any vendors.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
We should probably just keep this over on mu as to not anger any vendors.
Good call.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree to disagree.

I would love to see them prove that they are the "world's finest product"(much like the 'show me the numbers' movement).

Old 01-01-2007, 06:44 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
test

Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Minibeast
4th Gear
As far as the light bar goes, barring the instructions which need to be updated for clarity, it is truly a quality product. I have used several other light bars and all suffered from severe vibration while driving. After some on road tests with this bar at night, it is the best so far. Little to no vibration barring the most jarring surfaces and even then most of the virbration was coming from my factory headlamps.
The wiring harness was professionally finished (better than anything else I've been sent), only the switches needed to be changed to work as wired.
In the end I have a product that is much more satisfactory than any I have used before even if it was a bit more difficult to install.
My main reason for coming on here was to try and find someone who had completed this install and faced the same problems. Not bash Palo Uber. They were out for the holiday's like everyone else.
At least now if Palo Uber is not available again, I can help a fellow MINI owner with a question about the install. That is what this board is about right?
Enjoy the New Year everyone!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Placed my order today for my new Palo Uber light bar No areo kit so the instal should be a snap !

Old 01-02-2007, 06:25 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is a nice set-up if anyone is interested............

http://www.minisport.com/new-mini-sh...s-product.html

Installed it about 3yrs ago and hardly any vibration except of course over rough roads.....It was $400 shipped at the time.

Check my gallery for pics......

Old 01-19-2007, 03:58 AM
idoc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minibeast
As far as the light bar goes, barring the instructions which need to be updated for clarity, it is truly a quality product. I have used several other light bars and all suffered from severe vibration while driving. After some on road tests with this bar at night, it is the best so far. Little to no vibration barring the most jarring surfaces and even then most of the virbration was coming from my factory headlamps.
The wiring harness was professionally finished (better than anything else I've been sent), only the switches needed to be changed to work as wired.
In the end I have a product that is much more satisfactory than any I have used before even if it was a bit more difficult to install.
My main reason for coming on here was to try and find someone who had completed this install and faced the same problems. Not bash Palo Uber. They were out for the holiday's like everyone else.
At least now if Palo Uber is not available again, I can help a fellow MINI owner with a question about the install. That is what this board is about right?
Enjoy the New Year everyone!
You could PM me and I could give you an earful. I bought a few of their products and I would never deal with them again. BTW I am almost sure their Bryce Smythton is a made up person as well, used whenever there is a problem with a customer. Just my feeling!

Old 01-19-2007, 04:57 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by idoc
You could PM me and I could give you an earful. I bought a few of their products and I would never deal with them again. BTW I am almost sure their Bryce Smythton is a made up person as well, used whenever there is a problem with a customer. Just my feeling!
Bryce, is a real dude, he actually has called me more than once. And a crazy bloke at that.

My install was easy, as I do not have the aero kit, as I stated before show me how it does not fit on the aero kit.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:02 PM
RA080624
Banned
with mine im going to try and run one set to the front fog lights and the other to the highbeams anyone know what wires ill have to tap to complete this?