Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Mud Flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud Flaps?

Anyone have experience with these or others? http://outmotoring.com/mini_mud_flaps.html Very inexpensive!

Since getting a slightly wider tire (215), I've realized it's just enough to flip mud, water, muddy water and tar-laden goo all over the sides of my MINI.

With all the construction going on with Phoenix roads/light rail, it's nearly impossible to miss some crap or other.

Thanks for input!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 AM
humcmcel
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a set on both my MINI and my wife's MINI. They're an easy installation and you hardly notice they are there except that not as much dirt collects on the side of the car.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Scooter
Anyone have experience with these or others? http://outmotoring.com/mini_mud_flaps.html Very inexpensive!

Since getting a slightly wider tire (215), I've realized it's just enough to flip mud, water, muddy water and tar-laden goo all over the sides of my MINI.

With all the construction going on with Phoenix roads/light rail, it's nearly impossible to miss some crap or other.

Thanks for input!
Very inexpensive is right ! According to that link, they cost $0.00.

That's quite a bargain, even if they don't work very well.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
I'm holding out until they pay you to take them.
I think though there is a thread on this here on NAM with some pictures.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Red & Pepper White
Very inexpensive is right ! According to that link, they cost $0.00.

That's quite a bargain, even if they don't work very well.
FREE MUD FLAPS FOR EVERYBODY!!!

Actually (as you probably know ) you must select which ones you'd like to purchase: front, back, both.

The front ones are $14 but the shipping is ANOTHER $13!

MINIMania has them for $16 and you can choose USPS First Class for $4.50.

humcmcel: Where did you buy yours?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:03 AM
dadofTHOR
3rd Gear
I put a pair on my convt. I bot them from Outmotoring. Do they make a difference? Who knows. But i like the way they look.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dadofTHOR
I put a pair on my convt. I bot them from Outmotoring. Do they make a difference? Who knows. But i like the way they look.
I was wondering about that. Have pics anyone?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Here is my thread about installing the rear mudflaps on an MCSC.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=73846

I like the look and the back does stay a bit cleaner. I also have the front one. I purchased mine from the dealer.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini-rolls
Here is my thread about installing the rear mudflaps on an MCSC.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=73846

I like the look and the back does stay a bit cleaner. I also have the front one. I purchased mine from the dealer.
That really looks SWEET. VERY sporty (and functional, too)! Looks like the rear ones are a full piece vs an addition (like the fronts). True?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I have the front mud flaps and they help block some stuff from getting kicked up on the doors. They blend in well and look like the car came that way from the factory.

These are photos from jwardell (click to enlarge):

Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
dadofTHOR
3rd Gear
This is the best I could do. As I said, I like the look of them. It's subtle. And I'm sure that they do make a difference. I would have put on rear ones as well, but I guess that they aren't available for a convertible.

Attached Thumbnails Mud Flaps?-mudflaps-003.jpg  
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Yep, those are very subtle... blend right into the fender trim.

I was searching the internet for rear wheel flaps but can't find any. (Link from Outmotoring says theirs fit 7/07 Coopers or earlier). If anyone knows a source, please post it. Thanks. Sure would be nice to keep some of that dirt off the boot !

Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Scooter
Looks like the rear ones are a full piece vs an addition (like the fronts). True?
The rear flaps are also an addition and they go on top of the rear black trim. However they are shaped to fit the non-S Cooper. mini-rolls installed on an S by first converting his rear black trim to the Cooper version before applying the rear flaps.

Originally Posted by dadofTHOR
I would have put on rear ones as well, but I guess that they aren't available for a convertible.
The fit is the same for hardtop and convertible. Look at the thread referenced above. mini-rolls has a convertible and there are other photos of convertibles in that thread.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
dadofTHOR
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The rear flaps are also an addition and they go on top of the rear black trim. However they are shaped to fit the non-S Cooper. mini-rolls installed on an S by first converting his rear black trim to the Cooper version before applying the rear flaps.

The fit is the same for hardtop and convertible. Look at the thread referenced above. mini-rolls has a convertible and there are other photos of convertibles in that thread.
I meant to say that they are not available for an S. I like mini-rolls idea of changing the trim. I'll have to put it on the list.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:59 PM
humcmcel
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Red & Pepper White
Sure would be nice to keep some of that dirt off the boot !
You might have to change the whole line of the car to keep the dirt off the boot. The air flow around the car has more to do with the dirt there than mud flaps do. 25 years ago I had a Dodge Dart that almost never needed the rear window cleaned due to the shape of the window and the air flow around the car. Conversely, my wife had a mini van a few years back that you couldn't keep the back end/window clean for the same reason. Rear mud flaps do more for the windshield of the guy tailgating you than for keeping your boot clean.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:11 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by humcmcel
You might have to change the whole line of the car to keep the dirt off the boot. The air flow around the car has more to do with the dirt there than mud flaps do. 25 years ago I had a Dodge Dart that almost never needed the rear window cleaned due to the shape of the window and the air flow around the car. Conversely, my wife had a mini van a few years back that you couldn't keep the back end/window clean for the same reason. Rear mud flaps do more for the windshield of the guy tailgating you than for keeping your boot clean.
I definitely see how that could be a lot of the problem with the dirt on the boot. But I also know that every time I drive with the roads slighly wet from a recent rain, the back window gets sloppy with dirty water. I'm sure that's from the junk kicked up from the rear tires.

I would guess that rear flaps would help... just not sure how much. And I'm not sure if that degree of assistance would be worth the degredation of the appearance of the car (rear flaps don't blend in like the front flaps, IMO).

Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 PM
MiniBetterThanBeer
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The front mudflaps are amazingly effective. Don't expect them to completely prevent wheelspray since stuff still gets on the wheel arches, side skirts, and side mirrors, but they will keep the majority of spray off of the doors and that's the most important thing.

They also blend in quite well with the car -- enough so that when I look at another MINI without them I think that something is missing. In fact, I prefer the car with them. You'll see what I mean if you get them.

If you have a dealer nearby, they'll probably cost close to what they do online without shipping. I don't remember exactly how much they were but I remember thinking that it was only a few dollars more. Go for it!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
I've got the front mud flaps. I put them on the day after receiving the car. I've got some magnetic chip guards on the quarter panel in front of the rear wheels. Together, these are good (and EZ) mods.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:55 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I have the front flaps on both my MCS and my MC, and they work very well to prevent stuff from flying onto the sides.

I use the stone guards on the MCS and am happy with them, as well.

I also have the rear flaps on the MC. The back still gets dirty, but not as much. Besides, I like the look.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
The back does stay cleaner, not spotless by any means, but a lot less dirt. Also, the trim changes on Coopers in 2006 and the stock dealer rear mudflaps no longer fit.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 AM
sranderle
3rd Gear
I asked the dealer about getting front mud flaps for my MCS. He said they are only made for the MC. Do the MC flaps work on the MCS?

Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Front flaps are the same for both the MC and MCS

Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sranderle
I asked the dealer about getting front mud flaps for my MCS. He said they are only made for the MC. Do the MC flaps work on the MCS?
Your dealer is wrong, as I have them on both my MC and MCS. I bought them from Moss.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBetterThanBeer
If you have a dealer nearby, they'll probably cost close to what they do online without shipping. I don't remember exactly how much they were but I remember thinking that it was only a few dollars more. Go for it!
Thanks for this tip MBTB! They're $11.95 at MINI North Scottsdale. Will take about 5 days as they don't have them in stock. The lowest I found was about $20 shipped at MiniMania.

Chili Red & Pepper White: MiniMania has some rear flaps but not the style shown here. Here's the link:
http://www.minimania.com/web/Item/CA.../InvDetail.cfm

Old 01-05-2007, 05:26 PM
BChili
2nd Gear
Question back to mini-rolls

Question on doing the wheel arch replacement - which part of the "S" arch do you end up replacing? The long section over the wheel or the short section that ends up under the guard? Both?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Mud Flaps?