Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Pulling out the rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:13 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pulling out the rear speakers?

I have a bit of buzz at some bass frequencies in my driver's side rear speaker... Don't think it's a damaged or blown speaker - I think that the plastic frame is just hitting it (like happens with the front speakers sometimes).

Like the front speaker solution, I want to cover the inside of the grille bezel with felt, but I'm not sure how to get into that panel. While I'm in there, well, who knows what else I might add :: evil grin ::.

Has anyone run across a DIY thread detailing how to pull the rears? Is removal of the entire interior panel necessary? Last, I have the convertable, so is there a difference in process? A forum search is turning up nada...

Thanks guys!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Z-Mini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not exactly a complete DIY but this may help...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=84200

-Randy

Old 01-09-2007, 01:25 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Ack... I was afraid that I'd have to pull out the rear seats. Can anyone confirm that the above is the same in the cabrio? My rear seats are somewhat different, since they have integrated roll bars.

This might be something to submit as a warranty claim, I'm thinking, if it gets too loud/annoying. But I SO enjoy taking things apart... Hmmmm....

Old 01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I've removed cabrio rear seats and rear trim when I installed my rear view camera, and will be doing it again when I install rear lighting. The rear seats in the cabrio are removed the same way as for the hardtop. Here are instructions from the BMW TIS CD-ROM for removing the side trim: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co..._rear_trim.pdf. If you do it yourself, it would be a prime opportunity to install rear lighting while you have the car disassembled.

For cabrio owners who are DIYers, I highly recommend getting the TIS CD-ROM off eBay. Search motors.ebay.com for "BMW TIS". It's awkward and frustrating to use because of the abysmal user interface, but it is just about the only place to find information for working on the convertible (the Bentley and Haynes manuals have no information about the convertible).

Old 01-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Its no big deal to remove the rear seats they come out very easy.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I've removed cabrio rear seats and rear trim when I installed my rear view camera, and will be doing it again when I install rear lighting. The rear seats in the cabrio are removed the same way as for the hardtop. Here are instructions from the BMW TIS CD-ROM for removing the side trim: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co..._rear_trim.pdf. If you do it yourself, it would be a prime opportunity to install rear lighting while you have the car disassembled.

For cabrio owners who are DIYers, I highly recommend getting the TIS CD-ROM off eBay. Search motors.ebay.com for "BMW TIS". It's awkward and frustrating to use because of the abysmal user interface, but it is just about the only place to find information for working on the convertible (the Bentley and Haynes manuals have no information about the convertible).
Now THAT is great info... I'll have to look that CD up - thanks!!

EDIT: Which model of MINI should I look for that includes the cabrio? I see designations that I'm not sure about when searching - what one did you order?

Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The cabrio is R52, but it doesn't matter because the TIS CD-ROM covers all models of BMW and MINI. The newest TIS available on eBay is 1/2005. I heard that after date, BMW implemented encryption so only dealers can run the newer versions. However it means that late 2004 builds (early 2005 model year) are covered and that includes convertibles. It doesn't matter which eBay seller you buy it from -- they are all pirated copies of the same disc .

The instructions I posted above for removing the rear trim is one example of the awkwardness of the TIS software. It was listed under the category "side covering with armrests". Looking for what you want can take some trial and error.

Since you are into electrical and lighting, I also recommend the Haynes manual. It has good information but is worth getting just for the excellent wiring diagrams alone. Ian Cull (GBMINI) has a writeup: http://www.gbmini.net/wp/2005/11/the...ual_for_minis/. Ian bought his copy direct from the UK but it is now carried by some US aftermarket vendors.