Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Finally - Custom Gauge Faces

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:03 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for the record, I don't consider the blue ones to be shiny at all, they are somewhat matte, not very matte, but like egg shell almost.

all the uploaded images are available in my gallery, but here is one example, sorry for the large size, but I want to show the detail for the sake of the thread....for those that HATE large images, I apologize, but detail speaks volumes in such a situation.

the tach is somewhat blurry, but that has to do with the macro setting on my camera and the angle I was at to maximize exposure and clear image along with lighting. You can see there is minimal glare on them

Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
well they are no where close to the Canadian Cooper model.. I knew that the miles were there and such.. but my seatbelt light is now my brake like, and versa, my signals are no my filler cap (never had one) and my DSC light now says engine light... and no spot for my high beams....

So I am waiting to actually install to see if I can put up with this.

J

Old 01-26-2007, 04:37 AM
Foxtrot_Xray
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03Indigo - noce shots! Interesting that you're are matte. Yeah, the black ones are definately high-gloss.

Xiek - yeah, these wouldn't work too well on a Canadian model - like you said, there's no cut out/masl fpor the High Beams, and a handful of the lights are in different spots. (Why that was done on MINIUSA's part, who knows..)

Old 01-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Xiek
5th Gear
I am surprised with our funky laws up here that the speedo was allowed to be in centre like it is.. but I guess they got by with the digital display...

A friend bought one of the first prowlers, and had to wait for them to adjust the signal lights, and install baby seat anchors.... Yup, baby seat anchors in a prowler....

It sat at the dealer for 3 weeks... the dealer was happy, they got to showcase it and draw attention to it... small town of 16,000 ppl.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:20 AM
947mc40
1st Gear
Gauge install

The blue ones look great, I have not seen them mounted yet -- hoping for more pix
The Faces are a semi-matte finish and reflect very little light. they have been in my car for 2 months and work perfectly, no reflections. I was given a set of protos that were hi-gloss black----wrong answer. The latest gen of faces is near perfect. As far as the adhesive, there was so much residual glue from the factory, I felt they did not need any more. My faces seal very well against the housing with no bleed.
I could not know the config of every face available from MINI, if there are minor changes in the icons I can try to accomodate.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Xiek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 947mc40
The blue ones look great, I have not seen them mounted yet -- hoping for more pix
The Faces are a semi-matte finish and reflect very little light. they have been in my car for 2 months and work perfectly, no reflections. I was given a set of protos that were hi-gloss black----wrong answer. The latest gen of faces is near perfect. As far as the adhesive, there was so much residual glue from the factory, I felt they did not need any more. My faces seal very well against the housing with no bleed.
I could not know the config of every face available from MINI, if there are minor changes in the icons I can try to accomodate.
How easy are they to cut? I had an idea of cutting out the the holes and puting the new over the old, or would that be too much depth and block too much light?

Old 01-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Foxtrot_Xray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 947mc40
The Faces are a semi-matte finish and reflect very little light. they have been in my car for 2 months and work perfectly, no reflections. I was given a set of protos that were hi-gloss black----wrong answer.
They must have kept it like that then, since the black ones I got for the car I'm doing are gloss black. If they fixed that on the blue ones, and subsequent ones, then very cool.

The latest gen of faces is near perfect. As far as the adhesive, there was so much residual glue from the factory, I felt they did not need any more.
Wow. I don't know what faces you got, but of the five speedo's I've removed, and the four tachs, they all had some adhesive on the back. I don't remove it anymore, after taking it off my tach and finding out what it was for.

My faces seal very well against the housing with no bleed.
Relax, again. Noone said you had to. Was just pointing out that it better be known for Canadian buyers, or UK buyers.

Other than the locations of the icons, which shouldn't be toomuch of an issue, the next big one is the fact that Canadian and UK MINIs have their high-beam light at the very TOP of the speedo, at the 75MPH (120kph, I think? I'll have to check at home on my UK face) mark. The only other differrence was the one mentioned - the low brake pad warning. This would probably be the least important, because I think most everyone just deactivates the sensors. Why the different locations I can only guess as to regulations in the different countries. US probably because the SES light has to be in the driver's field of vision for some reason. (Just a hunch. I'm no legal expert..)

Oh.. and for Austraila, I believe that the TACH is huge, in te center, and the speedo is on the steering column. But, that's being **** of me.

And I'll state for a FINAL time - I really do like them, despite my nitpicking! Well done effort!
Me.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Redline0026
2nd Gear
They are WAAAAAYYYYYY TOOOOO expensive.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Redline0026
They are of pretty good quality....

he does have to make a profit of it.. it is a business...

BTW, I assumed that the dials were all the same... and didn't expect you to know either.. but now you know to inform other NON-AMERICAN buyers that lights are different....

I may be able to live with seatbelt = parking brake and vice versa, and engine like flashing when my DSC kicks on...

Will make it harder for a stranger to drive my car too... LOL...

BUT, IF you do get some CDN ones designed, let me know. I am pleased with the quality of them... I will try to get a pic of a CDN one for ya..

BTW 2, I sent an email to rhend, and it got booted back.

J

Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by Redline0026
Do you really think so? Have you ever thought about what goes into manufacturing these? They are high quality, and for the quality, I honestly believe they are an EXCELLENT value.

Anything less expensive has the possibility of being real junk.

When people think they are too expensive, at what price point would they think they are affordable. People complain, but never really say what they are willing to pay. I think that will put it in perspective.

These are not easy items to manufacture, I think people just don't realize how complex the process really is.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:48 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
got my tach done, only took about 10 minutes with the instructions provided from the online link. I LOVE the way it looks, the shading to difuse the light so it is not focused is well done, way better than the ABD ones I have had in the past. I took a shot comparing the backs to see the differences in shading. I am uploading them and will have them soon...

Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 PM
motonikki812
4th Gear
So did we ever figure out of anybody is making gauge faces for cars with NAV. I really want a good red... or black.

Thanks, Jasun

Old 01-27-2007, 10:43 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
yes, they should be out in the next couple of months.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
buzzs06s
1st Gear
they look great in blue

Old 01-27-2007, 10:59 PM
motonikki812
4th Gear
So who is it that is going to be selling them for cars with NAV? Is it MINI Mania or somebody else?

Thanks for the info

Old 01-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Those look nice. Makes me wish I had my MINI still...

I'd SO have to see if you could do checkerboard.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:06 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by motonikki812
So who is it that is going to be selling them for cars with NAV? Is it MINI Mania or somebody else?

Thanks for the info
www.cockpitspecialties.com will be making them, they are in the works right now. Out Motoring might be doing some as well, but I am so impressed with the ones I have, I can only imagine that the NAV ones will be awesome as well.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005-2006 OWNERS PLEASE NOTE:

If you plan to swap your center-mount speedo, you will have a much harder time removing the dash cover than in earlier models!!

In the 02-04, the dash was in 2 peices and swung out simply by removing the 4 torx screws at the ends.

In the 2005-2006, you'll have to remove the A-pillars (and likely replace the clips for head-air bag safety!),
the glove box, all of the dash board trim and about 10 screws
... Also note that if you damage the A-pillar
clips, the only way to order replacements is to order a completely new A-pillar (they come attached). Yikes!!

Here's a thread detailing the de-install process:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=58517

Just wanted everyone to know that if you have a newer-model MINI and you find threads saying that removing
the dash is "easy" that they're not talking about the 05-06. I'm checking to see if removal of the dash is REALLY
necessary for the 05-06 model, or if taking off the dash plastic trim is all that's needed. Until then, I thought
people should know before ordering expensive faces...

Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 AM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX

If you plan to swap your center-mount speedo, you will have a much harder time removing the dash cover than in earlier models!!

In the 02-04, the dash was in 2 peices and swung out simply by removing the 4 torx screws at the ends.

In the 2005-2006, you'll have to remove the A-pillars (and likely replace the clips for head-air bag safety!),
the glove box, all of the dash board trim and about 10 screws
... Also note that if you damage the A-pillar
clips, the only way to order replacements is to order a completely new A-pillar (they come attached). Yikes!!

Here's a thread detailing the de-install process:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=58517

Just wanted everyone to know that if you have a newer-model MINI and you find threads saying that removing
the dash is "easy" that they're not talking about the 05-06. I'm checking to see if removal of the dash is REALLY
necessary for the 05-06 model, or if taking off the dash plastic trim is all that's needed. Until then, I thought
people should know before ordering expensive faces...
GAHH!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
3rd Gear
You know, now that I think about it...

Originally Posted by ImagoX

... I'm liking my standard finish instrument faces more and more.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Yeah, what a bummer... I played with my dash for almost 2 hours this weekend (in the 20-degree cold) and couldn't get it to budge...
I only found the linked thread above due to help from other forum peeps (thanks, guys). Talk about frustrating...

There IS the chance that you can access the speedo by removing just the plastic trim facing, though! If anyone has a
TIS sheet for that step of the process it wuold REALLY help. Unlike the 02-04, the dash trim on the 05-06does not seem
to be screwed in (at least, I can't see screws on MY car where others have reported seeing them) - I THINK it's held in with
friciton clips, but I'm afraid to start yanking on stuff to find out. The TIS sheet for the dash mentions removing the plastic
accent trim before removing the dash, so it's POSSIBLE that's all that's needed.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:59 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
PS -Indigo - can you remove that HUGE graphic at the top?
It's hosing the page formatting for me.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:00 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Double ick!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear
I concur with ImagoX, you really should find a way to...

... resize these images.

Originally Posted by 03Indigo
for the record, I don't consider the blue ones to be shiny at all, they are somewhat matte, not very matte, but like egg shell almost.

all the uploaded images are available in my gallery, but here is one example, sorry for the large size, but I want to show the detail for the sake of the thread....for those that HATE large images, I apologize, but detail speaks volumes in such a situation.

the tach is somewhat blurry, but that has to do with the macro setting on my camera and the angle I was at to maximize exposure and clear image along with lighting. You can see there is minimal glare on them
[/IMG]

Old 01-29-2007, 11:45 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The page will change soon anyways. It would be nicer if the images had been scaled down or at least linked to save space though...

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Finally - Custom Gauge Faces