Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Shift Knobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007 | 08:17 PM
sranderle
|
3rd Gear
Shift *****

Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Momo F16 EVO

Momo Cobra

Any thoughts?

Old 01-13-2007 | 09:30 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I used to use a similar Momo **** but not either of those. It was very good quaility, but I did want to point out to you that it will add height to your shifter. This could be good or bad. I didnt mind because it made it easier to shift into reverse and provided a shelf for my hand to rest on when fiddling with the stereo. Some don't think about the addition of height, and it does make a difference in the opposite direction of a short shifter.
Momo quality is great, so if it is the shape you are curious about go find a few similar shaped ***** at an auto part store and see how you like the shape as that is probably most important.
Also, the ebay store LTB Motorsports has the best prices I found on Momo *****, FYI.

Old 01-13-2007 | 09:41 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
A friend uses the F16 on his Carrera and he loves it...

Old 01-13-2007 | 10:34 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Whalen

Old 01-14-2007 | 04:12 AM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
definitely Whalen. Great quality; instant on and off connector; no pita set screw.

Old 01-14-2007 | 04:31 AM
robino
4th Gear
who sells the whalen?
what's it look like?
screw on?

never mind, found it...
i dont understand why car companies mess a good thing up.
forever and ever ***** screwed in, it's the fastest, most secure way to install a ****
now they are all on this snap mount which more often than not makes the **** come off in your hand while shifting (they must think only old ladies buy cars nowadays or something)

Old 01-14-2007 | 06:49 AM
sranderle
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
I used to use a similar Momo **** but not either of those. It was very good quaility, but I did want to point out to you that it will add height to your shifter. This could be good or bad. I didnt mind because it made it easier to shift into reverse and provided a shelf for my hand to rest on when fiddling with the stereo. Some don't think about the addition of height, and it does make a difference in the opposite direction of a short shifter.
Momo quality is great, so if it is the shape you are curious about go find a few similar shaped ***** at an auto part store and see how you like the shape as that is probably most important.
Also, the ebay store LTB Motorsports has the best prices I found on Momo *****, FYI.

First, I'm not putting in a short shifter. At least not yet.

How much higher are we talking? An inch or so?

Old 01-14-2007 | 08:33 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by robino
i dont understand why car companies mess a good thing up.
forever and ever ***** screwed in, it's the fastest, most secure way to install a ****
now they are all on this snap mount which more often than not makes the **** come off in your hand while shifting (they must think only old ladies buy cars nowadays or something)
Wait until you've actually removed your stock **** - there's virtually no way to unintentionally pull it off of the shifter. More than one person has accidentally whacked himself in the face while trying to remove the stock ****, simply because of the amount of force required to dislodge it.

That being said, when you ARE trying to remove it, it comes off and goes back on ten times faster than any threaded ****, and since it's keyed to the notch in the shifter, it's always straight and never rotates after installation.

Old 01-14-2007 | 09:01 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sranderle
First, I'm not putting in a short shifter. At least not yet.

How much higher are we talking? An inch or so?
At least an inch and a half, maybe 2. My Momo **** never came off when shifting like previously said. If it is a quality **** and installed right there should be no worries. I am not a whalen man myself.

Old 01-14-2007 | 09:10 AM
sranderle
|
3rd Gear
I'm not really liking the cue ball ****. So I'm trying to find something else that would be comfortable.

Old 01-14-2007 | 10:21 AM
rrdusek
3rd Gear
try the turner motorsports carbon fiber ****. it stays a comfortable temperature year round and is the same weight, looks cool too.

Old 01-23-2007 | 06:06 AM
sranderle
|
3rd Gear
I saw a JCW CF shift **** yesterday. Very nice. I think that is the leading candidate right now, along with the ebrake handle. Both in CF/leather.

Has anyone installed the JCW leather shift and ebrake boots? Impressions? What about the JCW leather shift and cup holder bezels?

Anyone have some good pictures of the above? The couple I've seen online are too far away.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2007 | 06:58 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Cue Ball?

I'm not really liking the cue ball ****. So I'm trying to find something else that would be comfortable.
If by 'cue ball' you mean the ones Whalen makes from billiard ***** I'm with you

but you do realize that his primary product is a big chunk of metal? If you mean you don't like a 'ball' type shifter, then yes I guess Wh ain't for you.

I love mine .... simple brushed finish with shift pattern in mini wings. Now it I could figure out how to mount the same one in the '79.....

Old 01-23-2007 | 10:07 AM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Originally Posted by robino
No offense to anyone, but if this happens to a Whalen shift *** you're a bit of a morron. They couldn't be easier to install and are darn near impossible to remove unless you release the locking mechanism.

Old 01-23-2007 | 10:13 AM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Keep in mind that the Whalen **** really impoves the feel of your shifts b/c of its weight. Also, the Whalen **** is BY FAR the most popular shift **** (on NAM) for the MINI. I strongly recommend that you give one a try. If you don't like it (or if you put the OEM **** but on when you sell your MINI), used Whalen ***** sell very quick in the NAM marketplace for about $100.

Old 02-02-2007 | 05:58 PM
sranderle
|
3rd Gear
Received my JCW shift **** and ebrake handle today. I popped the old **** off in the parking lot at work, and installed the JCW. I like it!

Next, I'm going to get the shift/ebrake boots from Redline. I am going for the four panel shift boot, and the ebrake boot with the stripe.

My MCS is DS/B, with the Panther Black leather seats and anthracite interior. The boot colors are going to be Black/Charcoal. I'm stuck on what to use for stitching. Matching, black, or silver. Thoughts? Anyone have pictures of these colors with the various stitching?

thanks

Old 02-03-2007 | 01:33 AM
motonikki812
4th Gear
A taller shift **** is actually a lot better for real driving. Look at any real race car, no offense to anyone,not NASCARS, but real race cars that still use a standard stick shift or even sequential. The ***** are super high so the driver barely has to move his hand from the wheel to grab gears. All higher level scca cars, dtm, btm, jdm, lower class alms cars... Thats the way to go!

I have heard about top secret testing from one of our favorite tuners that will be releasing a short shift kit to end all short shift kits. Shorter crisper shifts without a shorter shaft. It will actually sit up high by the wheel and engage the next gear with minimal throw! Genius. I am going to feel like an AMG test driver at the ring with one of these babies.

Now just to find some alcantara gloves....

Old 02-04-2007 | 03:09 PM
motonikki812
4th Gear
JCW CF SHIFT and EBRAKE

New pics of the JCW bits. I need the short shift kit mentioned above now!

Attached Thumbnails Shift Knobs-img_0426.jpg   Shift Knobs-img_0428.jpg   Shift Knobs-img_0398.jpg