Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Trailer Reciever Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Imnuts55
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Reciever Hitch

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this is a reapeat but surched around and couldn't find another thread that answered my question. I'm thinking about putting a trailer reciever hitch on my 04 MCS. I was going to buy the one from minature trailers because I liked that it had a standard adapter that worked with a bike racke we already have unlike the mini fini one that had the two bar attachment and showed even when not towing. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about this or alternative ideas. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2007, 08:25 PM
One-D
2nd Gear
Hitches don't work on the S because you have something in the way.... the exhaust system.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Imnuts55
1st Gear
I just went and checked on the site and it said that it this one works with the S because it goes through the where the small light is rather than where the exhaust is.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:45 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by One-D
Hitches don't work on the S because you have something in the way.... the exhaust system.

That's not true. The Miniature trailer hitch works with the MINI Cooper S.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:28 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have a club memeber with a full set + trailer for sale.
look here

Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 AM
bzn by
4th Gear
We have a MCS and we have the miniature trailer hitch, it works great, we have used it to pull a sportbike

Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the miniature trailers hitch on my MCSCa and had no issues with installation or use. See here for how I use it.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:03 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One concern with the Miature Trailers hitch (now "MiniDoMore"): The hitch mounts pretty far behind the bumper cap, so your bike rack, hitch bar, etc. has to have about 6.5" from the pin hole to the bumper cap. I suppose an extension bar can also be used.

View pictures of the hitch at www.minidomore.com and you'll see - the pics show the hitch receiver appearing closer to the edge of the cap than it really does.

Hitch went on for me in under an hour. It's quite sturdy. No issues other than cost.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Febmoon1
3rd Gear
Don't like the look of the trailer hitch!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:47 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Huh? Which part of the hitch? The receiver hitch? It's invisible when installed. The drawbar? They all look the same...

Old 01-14-2007, 05:45 PM
ffwdm5
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
One concern with the Miature Trailers hitch (now "MiniDoMore"): The hitch mounts pretty far behind the bumper cap, so your bike rack, hitch bar, etc. has to have about 10" from the pin hole to the bumper cap. I suppose an extension bar can also be used.

View pictures of the hitch at www.minidomore.com and you'll see - the pics show the hitch receiver appearing closer to the edge of the cap than it really does.

Hitch went on for me in under an hour. It's quite sturdy. No issues other than cost.
I think the depth of the hitch depends on whether you have the backup/rear fog light or just the blanking cap in the bumper. If you have the light, the hitch has to be inset more to allow the full depth of the light to fit in the bumper. If you just have the plastic cap, the hitch can be closer to the bumper opening because the cap is not very deep.

At least that is what I think is going on. The site does ask if you are getting a hitch for a car with the backup/fog light or just the plastic cap.

I am planning on getting this sometime in the near future. I think trying to find the perfect trailer is what is holding me up.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:19 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
I just measured mine, model 1003, and it's 6.5" from the hitch pin to the bumper cap (my original post said 10", i've edited it). I'll need a drawbar that's about 10" long so the ball and mount don't touch the bumper. Not a real problem, but another measurement to take if one is buying (or owns) a bike rack or whatever. My current bike rack won't fit without an extension, but I use a Thule/Barrecrafters roof rack most of the time anyway, my hitch is for a small utility trailer.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 AM
One-D
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
That's not true. The Miniature trailer hitch works with the MINI Cooper S.
whoops... my statement was based on the Dalan hitch

Old 01-16-2007, 08:48 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
whoops... my statement was based on the Dalan hitch
..which is, last I checked, some 33% cheaper than the hitch for the MiniS!

...another good argument for owning a "justa"... speaking of which, I had a Justa as a dealer loaner yesterday, I really liked it!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:26 AM
The Welsh Dragon
3rd Gear
I'm getting ready to order a hitch from MINIDOMORE, to pull a teardrop trailer, and am really excited, any tips for me about hooking it up? Will I need an extension? I'm getting the hitch next week and driving down to pick up the teardrop next weekend.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Welsh Dragon: A few tips:

1. MDM's directions are good, before starting please realize you'll need a place to set your nicely-painted bumper cap when you remove it from the car. Set a blanket down somewhere before you're juggling a fairly light but cumbersome bumper cap.
2. The lights in your wheel arches need to be removed before the bumper cap comes off. 1/2 twist does it, but you may do this while supporting the bumper cap. Another set of hands comes in handy (but isn't completely necessary).
3. Wiring the trailer lighting is relatively easy, use a Hoppy converter though because the Mini's electronics Really Don't like running more bulbs than they were designed for. The converter costs $40 or so from Pep Boys, instructions are available for installation, check these links:
Wiring color code: http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai...olor_codes.htm
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai...MINI_wires.jpg
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai...on_adapter.jpg

Give yourself an hour or 90 minutes for trailer wiring. It's not difficult, and would take an experienced person maybe 30-40 minutes, but you'll want to shield the wiring (wrap the wires in good electrical tape to prevent abrasion), run the wires behind your trim panels, and put the converter in the battery box in the hatch area.

Test all connections before heading out - get a trailer light tester. I had a bad Hoppy converter and had to replace it, and only found out once I had the thing fully installed...

Oh - Scotch 33+ electrical tape, not the regular old stuff. The 33+ works great, lasts for years, and I wrap my connections also with a tiny ziptie to really keep it from unraveling.

4. If you're anywhere near Pittsburgh, let me know and I'll gladly pitch in!

5. Be sure you get the right MDM hitch. If you have the rear fog light (all years) or have an '02-'04 with a backup light, your hitch "recepticle" is located further back from the bumper, with a distance of approx 7" between the drawbar pin hole and the bumper cap. You WILL need an extended drawbar and MDM thoughtfully sells these, with safety cable loops welded on. If you have the '05-06 without a rear fog, you can get a MDM hitch with the recepticle closer to the bumper cap and use standard accessories BUT... these standard accessories don't have a provision for safety cables, and the MDM drawbar works with both hitch types. The MDM drawbar safety loops, though, are a little small and you may need to check your safety chain/cable hooks to be sure they don't bounce out, since the "through the loop and hook to the chain itself" option isn't available.

That's about it, if you need more information let me know, I towed a ~900-1000 pound tool trailer all over WV a few weeks ago with the MCS with no issues, and I've installed 3-4 MDM hitches now (one of 'em twice, on my car, replacing the rear foglight model with a 1003 (no foglight) model.)

LD

Last edited by DixonL2; 07-13-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
The MiniDoMore hitch receiver is just that: a 1 1/4" receiver -- you'll also need a drawbar and a wiring harness . . . the good news is you can order all that from MiniDoMore directly.

Edit - Well, Dixon already posted more info than I could ever provide while I typed my original message.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
(i type fast and really like my MDM hitch, but i'm also wordy)