Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Lightweight back seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:44 PM
JuniorMint
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightweight back seats

So I really want to pull my back seats to save weight, plus I like the look of just a flat floor. However I allways find myself needing the back seats to carry more people. So I have devised this plan for fold up jump seats

I want to take a panel like the one in the Helix rear seat delete kit and attach a hindge so that it folds up. Than attach the factory latchs so that its hooks up just like the factory ones. For padding their won't be much just probably 1.5inchs of foam covered in something like dynamat or carpet. If you look at a picture of a gutted interior you can see that the rear seat location already has a basic seat shape so all I would have to do it add a little padding. These probably won't be all that great for your back but it will get you their and its my car I dont have to sit back their. According to the Helix site their rear seat delete cuts 36lbs from the car and I would only be adding foam and fabric so I think that I will come out with lighter weight seats and a pretty trick hidden back seats

Could this work, all the seat belt stuff would stay were it is so I dont think I would have any legal issues

Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
About legality, I think the interior seats have to be strong enough to suport a person in say a rear ending crash. I do not believe that the panel in the kit could withstand the Gs of a 150lbs person in a minor crash, let alone two people. The moment the cop sees that they were sitting on glorified cardboard, you'll get slammed with a ticket.

In my own car, the rear seat is gone, I just tell everyone I have a two seater.

edit: i just looked at the helix kit, even though it may be plastic, my earlier statement still stands. G forces in a crash can be exceedingly high.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:38 PM
stylin99
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nabeshin
The moment the cop sees that they were sitting on glorified cardboard, you'll get slammed with a ticket.
I agree. The ticket would be the least of the worries. Injury lawyers would have a field day with it, along with your insurance company. Not to mention you could seriously injure your friends or family if in an accident. OEMs go through gobs of crash testing to ensure the parts can withstand the impact safely.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your starting to get into some crazy MacGyver shizz.