Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior ANOTHER Palo Uber lightbar experience...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
mini b
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANOTHER Palo Uber lightbar experience...

Well, after reading all the messages on here about the P/U light bar, I decided to take mine to Palo Uber's contract station in Costa Mesa to have it installed. Now, keep in mind my car has the aero kit. After EIGHT hours, they finally got in installed. :impatient Began the install at 10 AM, finished at 6:30 PM. I'm not blaming anyone here, (Well, maybe a little on Palo Uber) but it was NOT the installer's fault. The bottom line is, the light bar should not be marketed that it fits with the aero kit. It works...until it's time to put the bumper cover back on. After all the hassle, the lights DO look good on the car, but the bumper cover fit leaves a lot to be desired. Luckly, I have a friend who owns a body shop and is going to adjust the bumper for me tomorrow. The poor installers were upset to say the least. (NOT at me...they were very nice) They were just frustrated with the time it took to install this thing. All I could think of is how long it would have taken me...A WEEK??

I'll get car cleaned up and post pics soon.

By the way, I met the President of Palo Uber Mini, Patrick Cummings. You couldn't ask for a nicer man. Very polite, customer oriented and quite a sense of humor. He, along with everyone else I've spoken to at Palo Uber are very, very nice people. I'm just not real happy about the hassle that it took to have this light bar installed. It won't stop me from purchasing from them again though.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
Could you please explain why it does not fit/work as well? And show pictures as to how it does not work.

Just seems to me that there has been a lot of talk and not a lot of show it terms of why.

It would seem to me yes, it would not work as well since the bumpers
are different, but why ??

Old 01-24-2007, 10:01 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
I just got an aero kit and i have the light bar. I haven't switched front bumpers yet and here is what Palo Uber sent me:

With regard to the Aero Kit. No problem but what you have to do is the following:
mount the bar to your two bolts on your frame.
run your entire wiring harness next if your Mini is a 06 use the cigarette lighter power line to quick connect to for power not your radio.
Remove your Aero kit grill from the back and work through the opening
After the bar is mounted and wiring harness run remount your Aero kit front bumper with all screws and bolts secured to the frame and body.
Next, find your two center holes on the tabs by reaching through the grill opening.
Now, locate the template you have lining up with the two center lamp holes.
Postion of your two outside lamps will appear to be on the edge but your fine.
Pilot hole your openings to be sure you line up.
When mounting your lamps to the outside two positions use stainless washers to fill the void between the Aero kit and your mounting tab.
After installing your lamps undo your top Aero kit bolts and pull forward to reattach your grill to the inside.It snaps in place, don't worry about the factory glue spots that were applied when removing the grill.

I am going to switch it out in a couple of weeks as I'm waiting for some other parts. I'll put up how it goes then.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 PM
trackster
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eight hours seems a little bit excessive for professionals for a light bar install. I think that there are a few other opetions out there that require a lot les work. Not sure if the benefits outweigh the negatives on this one. Keep us posted .

Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
I put the Aero front on yesterday. I already had the bar on the car. The front fit fine, you just have to make sure that you mesure and drill the holes in the right place. The Aero Kit sits a little higher so I filled the gap with washers. I have no idea why it would take eight hours.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by batrugger
I have no idea why it would take eight hours.

Kinda what I was wondering about too

Old 02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
FYI, I switched from a MCS front to an Aero Kit. I already had the bar on. I got the front bumper on and all of the holes drilled, but I didn't have my lights yet since I was switching from Hella Comet 500's to Black Magics. The Black Magics would not fit, I was unable to tilt them far enough back, so I went back to the Comets, but only the two midlle ones fit and that was barely. I'm going to put some Hella Optilux 2500' for the outside lights. The problem is that the Aero Kit grill opening is smaller than the MCS bumper. I also found it was easier to install the bar and lights on the front fender and then put the whole thing on and tighten the two nuts that hold the bar to the frame as opposed to trying to reach in and tighten all of the light brackets after the fender is mounted over the bar.