Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Front Aero Kit Bumper - What else do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:48 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front Aero Kit Bumper - What else do i need?

Ok, so my car got hit parked on the street outside my work. I need to get a new front bumper cover, as well as a ding taken out of the hood and both of my chrome grills are cracked. I have the option of getting the aero kit front bumper instead of the stock S bumper.

My question is, what else do i need to fit the front bumper?

-Are the lower front plastic black arches the same as the aero kit ones, or do i need new ones?
-if the lower black wheel well trim pieces are different do they come in the same black plastic as the stock s trims?
-Are the fog and turn signal lights the same mounting on the aero as the stock s bumper?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! I need to see what kinda moolah i am looking at extra to spend.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:47 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
bump anyone?

Old 01-21-2007, 06:56 PM
shooler
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by defylogik
Ok, so my car got hit parked on the street outside my work. I need to get a new front bumper cover, as well as a ding taken out of the hood and both of my chrome grills are cracked. I have the option of getting the aero kit front bumper instead of the stock S bumper.

-Are the lower front plastic black arches the same as the aero kit ones, or do i need new ones?
-if the lower black wheel well trim pieces are different do they come in the same black plastic as the stock s trims?
-Are the fog and turn signal lights the same mounting on the aero as the stock s bumper?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! I need to see what kinda moolah i am looking at extra to spend.
I will answer your questions in order...

1. The line of the arches is continued in the bumper cover.
2. (I believe) The "arch" on the cover is not textured like the other arch pcs. You will have to have it painted black and "texurized" to match.
3. Yes. They mount in the same location.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:15 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
.....and I will add that you will need to purchase the aero grills (3) also.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:26 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
i think i saw something in one of the guides that said tey had bmw textured paint i think that is what it is for.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by defylogik

The aero bumper apron is a single piece unit - there aren't any separate black plastic pieces, the black areas are just painted. If you get a pre-painted apron the edges will already be black and textured. If you get one that's unpainted, the edge area will be as smooth as the rest of the apron.

I've heard of that textured paint, but I've also read that it's not as simple as just spraying it on - there's apparently some skill required to actually get the texture right. FWIW, the body shop that did mine tried repeatedly and couldn't get it right.

According to the guys that fitted mine, you reuse the stock lights and mounting gear.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:27 PM
PortMCS
5th Gear
I think i remember seeing in the Mini accessory book that in fact you can get the Aero kit already painted with the black arches to match your car. But i think this is the whole Aero kit, front and rear bumper covers and side-skirts, I dont recall if you can buy it in peices pre-painted though...

Old 01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You need the lower bumper corner supports and the 4 expanding rivets, 2 screws and speed nuts.

The last seven digits of the part numbers for the supports are:
Left 0 140 629 LH
Right 0 140 629 RH

Old 01-23-2007, 11:05 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
Ok got a quote from classic on the bumper cover, but they do not have it prepainted in pure silver. Does anyone know where i may acquire one of these?

thx

Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Get it painted locally, or try Morristown Mini.

When you order the front bumper, the quote should include the mounting pieces needed. It's a 1 for 1 swap, no extra pieces are needed except the mounting bits.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat

When you order the front bumper, the quote should include the mounting pieces needed. It's a 1 for 1 swap, no extra pieces are needed except the mounting bits.
yeah my concern is them not being able to match the textured paint properly. i may be just worried about nothin.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:56 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wagnbat

I agree with you here, but most of the counter people don't know this due to most of the time complete aero kits are sold and all of the pieces are in the kit.