Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Burned foglight covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 AM
amorican
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burned foglight covers

My vinyl yellow foglight covers from Outmotoring.com have developed burn marks in their centers. Both sides are nearly identical, and I must say, I am very disappointed at this. It seems to me that covers should not exclude me from actually using the lights, and thus I did not anticipate these being affected by the light.

I am wondering if I am in a position to ask for a refund, or new covers, though I do not see the point in that...

TJM

Old 01-24-2007, 07:33 AM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
I'm wondering why you're posting this here rather than asking the good folks at OutMotoring about it.

What did you expect us to do about it?

Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
I'm wondering why you're posting this here rather than asking the good folks at OutMotoring about it.

What did you expect us to do about it?
uhhh my guess would be that he wants us to answer the question he asked before going to outmotoring as seen below....

I am wondering if I am in a position to ask for a refund, or new covers, though I do not see the point in that...

I've heard this happening plenty of times. And they arent made by outmotoring....they are a lamin-x product. So if you plan on talking to anyone, it should be them. They might give you a refund, but i doubt it. I would just peel them off and buy the proper color bulb that you are looking for.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
Or you can use a can of Krylon transulsent yellow spray paint. I did my Hella 500's and they look really good and held up to the weather.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Outmotoring has GREAT customer service. Give Aaron a call... I'm sure he will work with you to find a satisfactory solution.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Passat774
Or you can use a can of Krylon transulsent yellow spray paint. I did my Hella 500's and they look really good and held up to the weather.
oye.....this kind of NONSENSE makes my head hurt

Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I would just peel them off and buy the proper color bulb that you are looking for.
EXACTLY!! Give this man an award!

Before people go screwing around with stuff they should understand what it is they are doing. There is a diffrence between filtered white light and light that is produced in only a given narrow spectrum. Everything on danielsternlighting.com is a must read! especially before you start paining you lenses

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ght_color.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...blue/blue.html

Old 01-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
oye.....this kind of NONSENSE makes my head hurt

EXACTLY!! Give this man an award!

Before people go screwing around with stuff they should understand what it is they are doing. There is a diffrence between filtered white light and light that is produced in only a given narrow spectrum. Everything on danielsternlighting.com is a must read! especially before you start paining you lenses

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ght_color.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...blue/blue.html
I just do not understand this uptight approach to lighting. Are these his primary driving beams or are these set of auxiliary lamps?

No, I would not suggest doing this to his headlights but auxiliary lamps what’s the problem? A coating on the bulbs or a coating on the lamps equals the same result. IMO, real world experince

Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
No, I would not suggest doing this to his headlights but auxiliary lamps what’s the problem? A coating on the bulbs or a coating on the lamps equals the same result. IMO, real world experince

Well.....obviously you didn't READ the information. yellow lights have a SPECIFIC function (fog) and a proper light is not just colored coatings...it is the SPECTRUM of light emmited!
If the purpose is to just look cool then spray your krylon and get your films. but if your purpose is to LIGHT THE ROAD, safely and in the right conditions then do yourself and other drivers a favor and leave the toy lights at home

Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy

Well.....obviously you didn't READ the information. yellow lights have a SPECIFIC function (fog) and a proper light is not just colored coatings...it is the SPECTRUM of light emmited!
If the purpose is to just look cool then spray your krylon and get your films. but if your purpose is to LIGHT THE ROAD, safely and in the right conditions then do yourself and other drivers a favor and leave the toy lights at home

My point is that he is only looking for the "look" as based on his first post. Just trying to help him with the easiest solution. Is it the best, nope.

The best would be all weather bulbs from a big name supplier.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car has the 1st set produced of lamin-x for the factory rallys, and they had to send me a 2nd set cause the 1st set weren't quite the right size. I've had the yellow lamin-x on my rallys for about 3 years and use them every evening in winter with no problem. They throw a daylight colored light as opposed to a white light. This is all assuming that what you got from OutMotoring IS the lamin-x film.

I'd say contact them and ask them what they can do for you. I haven't bought anything from OM but everything I've heard about them in the last 4 years or so has been positive. That is unusual.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
My point is that he is only looking for the "look" as based on his first post. Just trying to help him with the easiest solution. Is it the best, nope.

The best would be all weather bulbs from a big name supplier.
I didnt even mean to start an argument like this.

What I meant was that i have talked to more than a few owners who had the lamin-x film on their fogs and it melted on and burned. I was just suggesting a solution that wouldn't cause a burn. I didnt mention the spray (krylon metal spray is best from what I've read) because i didnt know if the obviously high temps of the fogs would cause problems. It just doesnt make sense to put film back on when it clearly will burn again.

You can get yellow halogens for 20-30 bucks on ebay...and they wont cause any problems....and will put out a better yellow. One of my buddies had the burning problem with his lamin-x, bought these bulbs at my reccomendation, and said he is very happy with the yellower light.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Some other owners (3) had the same melting/bruning problem here...http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...hlight=lamin-x

Here is the spray thread i was thinking of...(although they put lamin-x on to protect the spray)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2766271

Old 01-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
I was just offering up a quick and cheap solution to his problem

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

Something he could go out and get on his way home from work tonight to fix the problem.

I did it for the "look" even with my custom xenon low beam fog lamps that I had installed at one time, never had a issue with chipping or peeling of the paint.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I was just offering up a quick and cheap solution to his problem

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

Something he could go out and get on his way home from work tonight to fix the problem.

I did it for the "look" even with my custom xenon low beam fog lamps that I had installed at one time, never had a issue with chipping or peeling of the paint.
yah thats what i was gonna do too...although the metalcast spray from krylon can also be used:

Old 02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Standard
2nd Gear
whoever was an advocate for purchasing yellow fog light bulbs please post a link to the exact product that would fit the mcs fog lights. i'd rather go this route than the lamin-x but have no idea what size/type etc would work.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the reasons I wanted the lamin-x was to protect the glass from all the dust/rocks/assorted crap in the air here.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Standard
whoever was an advocate for purchasing yellow fog light bulbs please post a link to the exact product that would fit the mcs fog lights. i'd rather go this route than the lamin-x but have no idea what size/type etc would work.
Search motors.ebay.com for "h11 yellow".