Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior My Best Ergonomic Mod Ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007 | 11:39 AM
Yo'sDad
|
5th Gear
My Best Ergonomic Mod Ever

This mod will only apply if you are a large economy size stocky dude, like me. Ever since I got my MINI the left downtube has always bothered me. It just kept me from putting my right leg where I wanted it. I kept wanting to lay my leg over to the right just a little bit.

So I carved out a scoop of the tube and made it more comfy. This mod has made my driving comfort a totally different world. Best thing I have done yet. Really feels nice. Note, this mod is still in Beta testing but I think the shape is what I want. Now I just need to remove it again and do the final finish (paint still a little crude).

YD

Old 01-28-2007 | 11:42 AM
n1ftyneil
3rd Gear
damn, nice job.

Old 01-28-2007 | 11:45 AM
bonsaimini
3rd Gear
Ergo Mod.....

Yo'sDad...Whoa...really nice work! Did you just repaint the whole down-tube? How bout the right one...same paint, to match?
What's the next Ergo Mod?

Old 01-28-2007 | 11:54 AM
Yo'sDad
|
5th Gear
Thanks, but if you saw it in person you'd say it still had a pretty crude finish. Right now, I'm just going to drive it more and try to find some paint that is a better color and texture match to the right one. It is easy to pull out, sand, paint and put back. If I don't find a good enough match, then I'll paint the right one to match.

But what I'm so happy about right now is that it feels so good.... I'll deal with the paint later.

YD

Old 01-28-2007 | 12:19 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
That's some really fine fabbin' skills right there!
Very nicely done!

Old 01-28-2007 | 12:21 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
did you just sand it down? well done!

Old 01-28-2007 | 12:25 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mcdbrendan
did you just sand it down? well done!

There's a lot more work to it than that cause the tubes are hollow.

Looks great

Old 01-28-2007 | 01:44 PM
Yo'sDad
|
5th Gear
If there is enough interest, I'll post some progress pics.

YD

Old 01-28-2007 | 01:47 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Nice job! I vote for pics. I'm not xtra large in size but after a full day of driving my right leg is sore from leaning up against that downtube.

Old 01-28-2007 | 02:35 PM
Yo'sDad
|
5th Gear
I don't have a pic of every step by this is simple enough that I think I can explain it.

First I put water on my jeans in the right calf area and then mashed my leg against the downtube. I then took a pencil and drew a crude oval around the wet part and expanded it a bit and made it conform to rigorous compositional alignments and organic shape according to Renior and Van Gogh's teachings.

I then took a grinding wheel on a high speed dremel sort of tool (much larger) and ground out the cut out piece and got it pretty close to the shape I thougth I wanted.

I sanded the edges and reinstalled it in the car and sat, then drove, then removed and reshaped and sanded, about three iterations till it was right.

With the shape correct and the edges smooth I applied duct tape (quack, quack) over the front side to make the shape I wanted and filled the inside with rattle can foam from Home Depot. I think there is better foam for this job if I ever do it again. This stuff (Great Stuff) didn't work like I remembered. It didn't get hard like a year old marshmello, it stayed soft.

The purpose of the foam was to make a support for the subsquent fiberglass layer. I cut, soaked, applied and painted two layers of fiberglass.

I then trimmed the fiberglass and started sanding (a lot of sanding. After sanding, the shape was close but not smooth, so then I applied two coats of bondo with a lot of sanding. Eventually, it was smooth and I put some silver paint on it, then sanded and painted more.. I still looking for the right color and texture of the paint, so this project is not finished. Here are some pics.

I don't have any sanded pics or bondo pics. One note, the fiberglass mixing and curing part will get you a quick divorce, it stinks and will penetrate your whole house, so do this outside and it needs to be warm to cure.

YD

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:04 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
YD,
Are those the silver downtubes I sold you? Very cool project!

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:22 PM
Yo'sDad
|
5th Gear
Yes, I finally got around to doing it. Sorry I cut up your tube, but now a part of your MINI is now part of my MINI... does that make us related???? hehe Remember, I live in TN, so it doesn't take much.

YD

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:26 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Thanks for the pics. Plenty of info there, although I'm not sure about the Renoir - VanGogh part. I wonder if Georgia O'Keefe ever did any bondo work on those skulls she painted?

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:49 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Hey Dad, I'll tell you what, that's some of the neatest 'home engineering' I've seen in some time. I wish I had a tenth of your talent. Then again, maybe not, I'd be making too much stuff, and never get anything done! Great work.

Old 01-28-2007 | 04:15 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Wow. I want one of those! But I have no fiberglassing skills. Any chance you'd turn that into a production process? I'd buy 1 in a heartbeat (assuming the price was reasonable). I'd even send my current downtube back to you as a core for the next one.

Old 01-28-2007 | 04:34 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
dang..! nice work.

Old 01-28-2007 | 05:30 PM
PGT
Banned
I've got the same issues....that damn downtube feels so awkward there.

Old 01-28-2007 | 05:40 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Patagonian GT
I've got the same issues....that damn downtube feels so awkward there.
Amen to that!!
Being 6'8", that's the only area that gives me any discomfort. This could really be marketed as the "Tall Dude Tube"!
Great Work!!
Jim

Old 01-28-2007 | 05:46 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
You did a great job. I would paint both downtubes in black crackle paint.

Old 01-29-2007 | 04:30 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
That. Is. Awesome.

And ditto, this is a PRODUCT opportunity for SOMEBODY...
I would buy one...

And I understand the motivation. My emergency rations for the next ice age (known to most people as my "thighs") do not allow my legs to stick forward in that unnatural, eh, parallel arrangement...

Old 01-29-2007 | 05:34 PM
Yo'sDad
|
5th Gear
If'n I got crazy and started making them, how many orders do you think I might get and what sort of price would be acceptable? There was a lot more time in labor than I would have guessed. Of course, once I get the procedure optimized and do several at one time, sort of an assembly line, it would get quicker.

The price would need to include your old tube as a core.

It would also make it easier if I just primed them and let the future owner paint them whatever color they wanted. Leather covering, or the fitting of a small, thin leather pad over the cut area would look and feel nice too.

Just thinking out loud. I need another job to take on... I only work one full time and two part time jobs right now... getting bored, hehe.

Mayhaps I could make a dozen or so and take them to the Dragon????? Getting the cores at a reasonable price (not retail from MINI) might be the problem.

If anyone wants to sort of get the feeling, just take the tube out and drive it that way for a couple of days.... it'll spoil you, I promise. Actually, my cut out tube is more comfy than no tube at all.

YD

Old 01-29-2007 | 05:44 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Whoa...for a second there, I thought you had cut up your femur

Old 01-29-2007 | 05:57 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
YD, great mod and good work on the fab. I would DEFFINATELY buy those from you. I would want 2 though, one for each side.

BTW, other than the cup holder, do you really need the downtubes?

Old 01-29-2007 | 06:14 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Count me in on a pair. Nice work!

Old 01-29-2007 | 06:53 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Iiiiiinteresting... Not sure I LIKE it, but...

Iiiiiiinteresting...

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior My Best Ergonomic Mod Ever