Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Mini-Fini arm rest install.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini-Fini arm rest install.

First let me say that I was very happy with the service Mini-Fini provided in my purchase of their arm rest. It was exactly what I'd been looking for and their shipping to an APO was fast. They get kudos from me!

Unfortunately, the instructions they had were reprints of the 2003 MINI installation. Just a few changes since then and, frankly, they were confusing to me when they transitioned between cars with DSC and those without. Regardless, I took them as guides and went about my business.

As I am an avowed newb, I was unable to acheive any hits in my search for NAM site / posting "how to's." So, I took the easy way out and posted my install pictures to my gallery with comments. If anyone is willing to share some knowledge so that I can edit this to include hyperlinks to external sites and inline photos, I (and the community) would appreciate it!!

In releasing the ebrake surround, I was worried what my screw driver would do to the leatherette and found that everything was OK. This was the easiest part of the whole process. TIP: Rotate the ebrake surround 90 degrees to the side whilst sliding it through the hole in the center console and it will clear much more easily.

According the the instructions, and many other online references, I was supposed to remove the one screw and sharply tug at the center console. That has >never< worked for me in the past and ALWAYS resulted in expensive fixes. Especially around computers/electronics!! With those experiences behind me, I was able to find the second screw and the slide-type connectors that allowed me a no-cost removal!! It was those discoveries that led me to reassemble what I'd taken apart so far in order to take good photos and notes for the next guy!!!!

As the instructions were ~3 years old, they weren't very clear in their transition between instruction for cars with and those without DSC. Again, using them as guidelines, I was able to sort the issues out and achieve a fairly secure installation. At this point, everything is in and tightened down, however, I have not applied any Loc-Tite yet. I want to make sure that the fitment of the base's sleeve cover is proper and correct beforehand. All in all, it took about an hour, hour twenty minutes, including pictures.

And that sleeve cover would be my only dislike of this install as it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the car. Dunno but I'll sort something out. Now, what I'm considering is to repaint the silver trim line around the arm rest with CR in order to match the rest of the car's interior. Hey, Mini-Fini: Is that a cost effective option from ya'll in the future? Or would it be too much hassle/too hard? I'm guessing it would be.

I attached the MINI 03 instructions and a snap of the finished job. The rest of the snaps are in my gallery to help the next bloke!

Again, kudos for Mini-Fini for having the arm rest I wanted and prompt shipping. Now, if anyone wants to help me fix this post to be a more effective teaching tool, we'd appreciate it!!

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails Mini-Fini arm rest install.-p1020476.jpg   Mini-Fini arm rest install.-p1020481.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
minifini_armrest.pdf (523.0 KB, 241 views)
Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any takers on helping me make this a better post?