Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior My cupholder is too loose...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cupholder is too loose...HELP!

I had 3 huge packages that I needed to take to the post office. 2 in back, one in the front seat. The one in the front seat was so big it pushed my cupholder all the way toward the radio and AC controls. In fact, it was so tight up against that it was on the "+" for the AC and so I was driving with it on full blast.

Anyway, I went and got lunch today and the thing seems so loose that it hardly locks in place. I turn a corner and the drink just goes flying around...depending on which way I turn of course. This is just asking for a drink disaster and I'm wondering what I can do. Can I tighten it up anyway?

THANKS in advance!

Old 02-03-2007, 02:32 PM
retroom
4th Gear
Bend the metal frame.

I think the metal frame got bent when the package was laying against it.

The frame acts as the spring, applying pressure to the bracket. If the frame is bent, not as much pressure is applied to the bracket, so the cup holder rotates easier around it's axis.

The metal frame can be removed from the mounting bracket. Take it off and bend the metal so the the two rotating points, the ends that go into the bracket, are closer to each other.

retroom

Originally Posted by Duck360198
I had 3 huge packages that I needed to take to the post office. 2 in back, one in the front seat. The one in the front seat was so big it pushed my cupholder all the way toward the radio and AC controls. In fact, it was so tight up against that it was on the "+" for the AC and so I was driving with it on full blast.

Anyway, I went and got lunch today and the thing seems so loose that it hardly locks in place. I turn a corner and the drink just goes flying around...depending on which way I turn of course. This is just asking for a drink disaster and I'm wondering what I can do. Can I tighten it up anyway?

THANKS in advance!

Old 02-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Is it the newer 05+ or early type? On the early type, I fixed mine by taking it apart and putting a rubber o-ring on the shaft.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
It's an '06. I'll try messing around with it tomorrow. Hpefully it's just a matter of doing some bending. I'll take some pics if need be.