Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Carbon on AstroBlack MC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 PM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carbon on AstroBlack MC?

I am a carbon *****... on my other track cars I have always loved a bit of Carbon Fiber. I was working out a deal with VIS Racing and they offered me the Carbon Hood, Fenders and Hatch that they make... but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of any of these parts on their Astro Black MC's?

I saw a Carbon Hood on a Jet Black MC and it was far too contrasting as the Carbon almost looked like a very light black, almost a dark Silver. I guess I was kinda turned off by the idea after seeing that... but does anyone have any images of VIS Carbon on a AstroBlack MC?

LEMME KNOW!!!

THANKS!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the CF JCW Boot Handle on my AB MCS and I LOVE the fact that it almost blends in, but not quite

Not quite what you were looking for, but CF does go well with the AB

Last edited by Drillslinger; 10-19-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:20 PM
wikedgolf
6th Gear
Sorry, all i have right now is the hood scoop and mirrow caps

Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Megan Racing
Vendor
Nice...

Old 02-05-2007, 08:36 PM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
I'm more concerned about a bonnet or boot because little accents will always kinda match and blend in... but a bonnet or boot, if it doesn't really match then it's gonna really stick out.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It won't really match, but won't stick out as much as a carbon hood on a silver or orange car. A lot depends on the weave and appearance of the c/f too - some are more silver, others are more black. I had a Wings West vented c/f "evo" hood on my black mica Mazdaspeed Protege (a color 85% similar to Astro Black, perhaps 15% less blue flake in it) and it was as unobtrusive as c/f gets - but still quite noticable... especially on the car of a 40+ year old father of three!

Lets face it - if you're wanting to blend in, a Mini is NOT the way to do it, and a carbon-fiber-enhanced Mini CERTAINLY is not the way to do it.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
I might have to paint on the Carbon.. D'oh!!!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the unpainted c/f hood on the Masdaspeed with very similar paintIf you paint the c/f, you won't get the same glossy appearance without significant sanding and prep since the c/f weave shows through. A metallic or mica paint will really accenuate any unevenness of the substrate. You may like it, though, because folks will still know it's c/f and therefore something special... As stated before, all c/f has a different hue, you'll want to see it up close before committing. The hue also changes with the viewing direction - the hood wasn't as light as the top pic, and wasn't as dark as the bottom

Oh - almost forgot - you may also have to drill the hood for windshield washers - the drilling wasn't such a PITA, but it was rough finding washer nozzles that worked well and didn't break (those PepBoys plastic LED ones broke, and I didn't want LEDs anyway).

Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 AM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
Here's the unpainted c/f hood on the Masdaspeed with very similar paintIf you paint the c/f, you won't get the same glossy appearance without significant sanding and prep since the c/f weave shows through. A metallic or mica paint will really accenuate any unevenness of the substrate. You may like it, though, because folks will still know it's c/f and therefore something special... As stated before, all c/f has a different hue, you'll want to see it up close before committing. The hue also changes with the viewing direction - the hood wasn't as light as the top pic, and wasn't as dark as the bottom

Oh - almost forgot - you may also have to drill the hood for windshield washers - the drilling wasn't such a PITA, but it was rough finding washer nozzles that worked well and didn't break (those PepBoys plastic LED ones broke, and I didn't want LEDs anyway).
I'm completely familiar with Carbon as we have a lot of Carbon Fiber in our Lineup as well as being sponsored by Carbon Creations for our 240SX and 350Z Track cars... I guess I'm just trying to find pics of it on an actual Mini... I know that's gonna be hard to find but if any place would have it, I figured someone on NAM would.