Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Attn CVT Owners ! Whalen Shift Knob ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007 | 06:21 PM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Lovin' the new boots, Blimey !! Redline and Whalen... that's a great combo !

I'll be doing that combo on the JB convertible in the not-too-distant future. I promise, I won't steal your boot pattern (but no promises on the Whalen ****) . And I believe I've sold my fiance on doing the Redline/Whalen thing on her PW Cooper... finally (she's pretty much a stock kind of girl).

Old 07-28-2007 | 06:22 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Now I'm getting confused.

So, my shift ***** are able to rotate when installed on a CVT shift lever?
How about when installed on an auto?

Anyone who has a problem with looseness, please e-mail or PM me; I'd like to find the cause of this, and remedy the situation.

I'm thinking there are some differences with CVT, auto, and manual shift levers, besides the slot in the top being oriented differently.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2007 | 06:25 PM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Yep, Doug, my CVT **** swivels a little bit. Maybe 10 degrees in each direction. But hey, not a huge issue, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, I know you take GREAT pride in your work so if you want to use mine to try to determine how to correct the problem, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Old 07-28-2007 | 06:34 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Yep, Doug, my CVT **** swivels a little bit. Maybe 10 degrees in each direction. But hey, not a huge issue, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, I know you take GREAT pride in your work so if you want to use mine to try to determine how to correct the problem, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Can you find an accurate way to measure the width of the slot at the top of the lever?
If you can get your hands on a #7 drill bit, the shank should fit snugly into the slot.

The slots in the manual levers are right around .200"; but I've never seen a CVT or Auto lever.

Old 07-28-2007 | 06:36 PM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
I wouldn't yank the know off for Blimey, but I will for you.

I'll check that in the a.m. and I'll PM you.

Old 07-28-2007 | 07:57 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I'll take a full set of measurements on mine tomorrow - I have a set of calipers.

I'll measure slot, distance to groove, etc.

Old 07-28-2007 | 11:22 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
So a **** is already manufactured for the AUTO transmission? That's news to me.

When the automatic **** comes off, is it reusable? Or is it shot?

Yes, Mr Whalen has engineered a shift know for our MINIs with auto trannies.

When you pulll off your existing ****, you can remove the locking lever with it. You're left with a shift rod with a plastic locking pin at the top. His custom **** fits down over that locking pin and then you push it down and turn it into place.

Mine does turn a little bit but it's not an issue other than aesthetically. It could be fixed by removing it, adding some electrical tape or something to make the fit a little tigher.

Old 07-28-2007 | 11:46 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Yes, Mr Whalen has engineered a shift know for our MINIs with auto trannies.

Mine does turn a little bit but it's not an issue other than aesthetically. It could be fixed by removing it, adding some electrical tape or something to make the fit a little tigher.

he said "trannies." lol. (late night gutter humour).

Old 07-29-2007 | 03:27 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Duck360198
So a **** is already manufactured for the AUTO transmission? That's news to me.

When the automatic **** comes off, is it reusable? Or is it shot?
Mine, on the 06 w/CVT is reuseable... I've had it on and off several times.

If yours is not and you want one, I'll make you a deal on my OEM ****.

Old 07-29-2007 | 03:28 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by irieman
he said "trannies." lol. (late night gutter humour).

Isn't that the plural of tranny ? Wait, I guess that's funny too !

Old 07-29-2007 | 05:19 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear

Isn't that the plural of tranny ? Wait, I guess that's funny too !
Hey.... now let's not get personal...
It's kinda liberating. You should try it sometime.

Old 07-29-2007 | 05:33 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Ahhhhhhhhh... mental image....

A blimey UJ skirt, about an inch above the knee. A nice pair of red, 3 inch heels, not TOO slutty, but they really make your legs look a mile long. Topped off with a silk cammy in red with a blue top.

Well, okay, maybe you do look a little too slutty. <<shakes head rapidly to chase away the image>>

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:38 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear

hmmm.... that look might work...

But I'd have to start shaving my legs again like I used to in my cycling days...

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:41 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
You must have been a SERIOUS cyclist.

BTW, for all those interested in the Whalen ****, Doug has figured out today that the CVT shift rods are different diameter than the MINI's with other automatic transmissions (Speptronic).

He's working on an adjustment to correct the problem of the **** swiveling on the CVT shift rods. More to come.

His *****, as they are now, should fit non-CVT automatics just fine.

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:44 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
And Blimey, if you could get those precise measurements using your calipers, for Doug, he still needs them.

THANKS.

Old 07-29-2007 | 08:14 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Here are my measurements of the Steptronic / MCSa stick (I'll email to Doug also):

My stick starts at one diameter - then "slopes" up to a slightly larger diameter (over distance of a couple of mm), then finally "steps" up to a third diameter at a shoulder down the shaft. Details:

Top diameter: approx 0.545"-0.550"
Distance from top to beginning of slope: ~1.23"
diameter after slope: ~0.59"
Distance from top to shoulder: ~1.94"
diameter after shoulder: ~0.63"

Slot runs front to rear at the top
Depth of slot: ~0.44"
width of slot is a tiny bit larger than a 13/64" bit (it has a bit of play - maybe a couple of degrees) and is smaller than a 7/32" bit. I'd estimate it's about 0.205"

I don't have a #7 bit to test.

my calipers may be off by a few thousandths...

Old 07-29-2007 | 08:22 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Paul, those boots are sweet!! I'm still waiting for mine :(

So when I first put the **** on, it rotated freely all the way around (not up and down though). Then I took it off to show a friend, and when I put it back on it only rotated 10-15 degrees or so. Then I took it off again to examine the set-up for my new boots, and it's back to swinging all the way around again. I need to take a look at it and try and figure out what I did differently last time.

Old 07-29-2007 | 03:11 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Okay; I fiddled with mine this afternoon and now it doesn't move at ALL - I didn't do anything other than keep lifting up the sleeve and pushing the **** down, trying to find the right spot. Now it's locked in and doesn't move up/down OR rotate. I think it's just a matter of jiggling it into the right place.

Old 07-29-2007 | 05:01 PM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Really, Mel ?! I'll have to do some more pushing down... lord knows I've tried pulling it up because I was going to remove it this morning to measure (finally gave up after 2 minutes of pulling and went to the other MINI with CVT).

I'm sure Doug will be surprised to hear this as well. Because when I told him I could put a 5/16" drill bit inside the shift lever, he was very surprised. He made the **** to fit a lever that is .2 inches in diameter.

Old 07-29-2007 | 06:12 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Yeah I think I confused Doug more than I helped him.

In theory, is the little "bar" thing that runs across the top of the inside of the **** supposed to go inside the slot on top of the shifter? Because if that's the case, mine is off. I seem to remember someone (Jeremy?) saying that it didn't matter because the shifter isn't as tall, or something...me and my memory...but if that's not the case then maybe that has something to do with it?

I don't know why it's sticking now. I just kept pulling it up (it was really loose), pulling the sleeve up and then pushing the **** down and letting go of the sleeve. The 3rd or 4th time I did it, it stuck, and I cranked on it and it's not going anywhere. Except that I'll have to get it back off because my boots should be here any day...so I'll have to do it all over again...

Old 07-29-2007 | 08:24 PM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
In theory, is the little "bar" thing that runs across the top of the inside of the **** supposed to go inside the slot on top of the shifter? Because if that's the case, mine is off. I seem to remember someone (Jeremy?) saying that it didn't matter because the shifter isn't as tall, or something...me and my memory...but if that's not the case then maybe that has something to do with it?
Yes, that was my theory. But now that you got it to lock, you may have broken my theory. Maybe we have to push down a bit extra to get the bar to lock in the shifter stick.

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:12 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
I'm going to put any more CVT and Auto ***** on the back burner, until I get my hands on a shift lever of each type.

I'll be in touch!

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:36 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Well, I have the CVT lever ordered; should be in my hands by Wednesday or so.

Unfortunately, the Auto shift lever assembly sells for over $500.

That's a little rich for my blood, so what I'm going to do is wait until MITM; maybe some kind soul will remove the shift **** from his/her car (perhaps in exchange for a free ****???) and allow me to take some accurate measurements of the Auto lever.

If that works out, I'll feel more confident about having the attachment designed correctly for the Auto cars.

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:59 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Ewwwwwwwwwwwww... wish I could go to MITM !!!

That's a sweet deal !!!

Old 07-30-2007 | 11:11 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I feel bad that Doug is worried about these. I knew I was being sort of a "guinea pig" going in and that if it wasn't perfect that I would figure out a way to make it perfect. I hope no one is making Doug feel bad because, after all, WE strong-armed him into letting us try to work it out for the CVT.

I love mine, wiggly or otherwise

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Attn CVT Owners ! Whalen Shift Knob ??