Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Do It Yer Selfers - Advice on Aero Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007 | 06:42 PM
FOG
|
2nd Gear
Do It Yer Selfers - Advice on Aero Kit Install

I purchased the OEM Aero Kit for my 06 Cooper S and I'm getting it painted professionally. I'm also getting the wheel arches painted at the same time. However, I'm doing all the remove/install myself. I'm looking for advice on the removal/installation process. Anyone out there done this themselves? Can you provide me with some words of wisdom? Any help is much appreciated.

Old 02-23-2007 | 09:57 AM
capnmini
4th Gear
have you looked on motoringfile.com?

Old 02-23-2007 | 03:58 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Don't mix up the bolts, or lose any. I'm sure if you search for a DIY, you should be able to find one.

Old 02-23-2007 | 05:39 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
It's easy.

The hardest are the the side skirts.

The front bumper has two bolts on the top (need to pop up the bonnet to access). It also has a few bolts underneath (get on your back and look on the bottom). Finally, it has two in each wheel well. After that, it should pull off. Make sure to unplug the turn signal wiring harnesss. Also, take note of the temperature sensor positioning as that needs to be removed too.

For the rear bumper, it is similar, just a few bolts that need to be removed (nothing complicated. I figured it out without instructions, so if you are somewhat "DIY" inclined, you should be good ). I can give you more detailed instructions later, but right now I have to run out.

Old 02-24-2007 | 07:01 AM
bryan1970
2nd Gear
when you ar puting the front aero kit bumper on there will be two black plastic pices that resemble wings, they go on the bottom and put the platic pieces on the car first then put the bumper cover on and secure the cover to the plastic pieces.

Old 02-24-2007 | 07:26 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
It's easy.

The front bumper has two bolts on the top (need to pop up the bonnet to access). It also has a few bolts underneath (get on your back and look on the bottom). Finally, it has two in each wheel well. After that, it should pull off. Make sure to unplug the turn signal wiring harnesss. Also, take note of the temperature sensor positioning as that needs to be removed too.

For the rear bumper, it is similar, just a few bolts that need to be removed (nothing complicated. I figured it out without instructions, so if you are somewhat "DIY" inclined, you should be good ). I can give you more detailed instructions later, but right now I have to run out.

did you use that rear bumper cover bracket on yours? my car came
with aerokit pre-installed but didnt come with that bracket...um 4yrs ago.
as you can tell, i had no issues without it but just wondering.

Old 02-24-2007 | 07:31 AM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by kenchan
did you use that rear bumper cover bracket on yours? my car came
with aerokit pre-installed but didnt come with that bracket...um 4yrs ago.
as you can tell, i had no issues without it but just wondering.

I have it sitting on my desk actually because when I misplaced it when I was installing the bumper, and then happened to come across the hardware for it. I have not gotten around to installing it yet...maybe I will eventually though, .

Old 02-24-2007 | 04:52 PM
FOG
|
2nd Gear
Jack stands?

Originally Posted by skitelluride531
It's easy.

Did you need to use jack stands?

Old 02-24-2007 | 04:53 PM
FOG
|
2nd Gear
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions so far!!!