Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior AERO BUMPER WITH CUSTOM EXHAUST CUTOUTS/BLUE FLAME EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:00 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AERO BUMPER WITH CUSTOM EXHAUST CUTOUTS/BLUE FLAME EXHAUST

I have 2004 Cooper S with the Blue flame twin exit exhaust. I like the exhuast but I've never been thrilled with the fit and finish of the rear valance they provide with the two exhaust cutouts. Pictures in my gallery. Well I just got rear ended and I need to replace the bumper so I was thinking that I could use the Cooper non-s aero bumper as the cutout on the right side is approximately in correct spot but will need expanding for the large oval tips. Then I could cutout the left side to match. However, will this Aero bumper look like crap with custom cutout does anyone have closeup pictures where they custom cut the aero bumper for a custom exhaust? I need to decide this weekend so input greatly appreciated.

The Cooper S Aero bumper is not an option as I dont have central exhuast exits.

The way it was:

Old 02-23-2007, 02:12 PM
cooper99
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-23-2007, 02:36 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
not quite

Thank you for the response.

Thats a modified valence that clips on the regular bumper. I'm looking for the Aero bumper itself cut to fit an exhaust like that except with larger oval tips. I can see you know that the aero bumper is 1 piece and does not have a clip on valence.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:47 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
I also have a dual type exhaust and an aero lit for my MCS. It's getting put on in two weeks. Working with my mechanic and body shop this is how we are going to address the issue.

Trim the valance to fit the 2 oval tips. Using material removed from the new cutouts and product called Fusion, we are going to fabricate a plug for the center section. Once set the new area will be smoothed to match the surronding area and all the fender extensions, and side sills will be painted body color. Once complete, I'll post pics, or come sit it AMVIV.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:58 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
Gnatster - thanks for the details.

Why are you using the CooperS aero bumper that will require filling the center cutout - why not use the Cooper non-s aero bumper as I was suggesting?

I may have to do some similar patching to what you describe when I cutout as I may want to make walls for the cutout so it doesn't look cheesey.

Which exhaust are you using?

Old 02-23-2007, 03:12 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
I already have the CooperS bumper on hand. I'll have to discuss a possible trade with a local dealer. It's after 5 here now, a project for Monday.

Which exhaust are you using?
DMH Stage 3

Doesn't come with tips, been thinking of a Dual Round TurnUp Tip for each side.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
gnatster

do you have a link to that DMH Stage 3 exhaust - I'm not familiar with it. I may have to change my exhaust too as it was a casualty of the rear ending and just want to make sure I know all my options. I'll probably get the blueflame again.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:33 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Old 04-07-2007, 01:44 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
Got the Aero bumper with custom cutouts done

Got the car back from the shop.

The way it was:

The way it is now:

I've also removed the rear mini badge - had to fill holes and paint. I’d already done this to the front last year. I'm waiting for paint to cure before adding stripes back. Also will be painting the arches satin black soon. Personally I’m not that smitten with body color/gloss black/matt black/or the cheap plastic finish of arches so black satin for me - coming soon. I also finally have a video of the exhaust revving so here’s that too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sfpE8MayRI

Old 04-07-2007, 02:16 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
I ended up going with a Cooper Aero rear bumper cover and cutting the other side too. Had to cut both to make it fit look right.

Next we are going to cut out the area where the fake grill is and fabricate real grills to match the front M7 Ultimate grills.

Now I have an extra unpainted S Aeri kit rear bumper taking up space in my garage.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:40 PM
WLSH BST
3rd Gear
Looks great. Yes I cut both sides too, the oval tips are quite wide. I'm very interested in the inserts you'll be working on. I didn't apply the OEM stickers as I dont want to add silver. I'm almost done with removing silver bits, so dont want to add any back. Please let me know what you end up with for the inserts.