Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Astro Black interior?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Astro Black interior?

When I ordered my MINI, one of the options I really wanted was a body color interior, but that wasn't an option for AB. Now I would really like to have it, so I'm considering a paint job. I'm just scared I wouldn't like it, so I thought about buying the parts that are alloy patina, and painting them. That way I would have a back up, but the oval door panels alone are pretty close to $500 a piece. (I can't remember the exact amount.) The only parts I'm considering painting are the ones that are currently alloy patina. (Three dash pieces, and the oval door panel parts.) Anyway, does anyone have pictures of an astro black interior. Thank you.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:33 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who has ventured into the realms on painting the MINI interior, I would recommend NOT trying to do the painting yourself. Leave it up to a professional. I tried to paint my interior myself TWICE, and failed miserably both times .

As far as pictures...here is mine! The black is Jet Black (close to Astro black, no metallic flake though). The red is Chili red. I think an Astro black / Chili Red interior would be hot .

Old 02-23-2007, 07:18 PM
capnmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
As someone who has ventured into the realms on painting the MINI interior, I would recommend NOT trying to do the painting yourself. Leave it up to a professional. I tried to paint my interior myself TWICE, and failed miserably both times .

As far as pictures...here is mine! The black is Jet Black (close to Astro black, no metallic flake though). The red is Chili red. I think an Astro black / Chili Red interior would be hot .

your interior is totally what i want to do to my car, how much did you pay to get the dash painted black?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:23 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531

NICE! When I first started thinking about this, I was going to do the interior in Astro Black and White to match the exterior. I think I'm going to try Astro Black first and see how it looks with the silver...then add white later if I want. I was planning to take it to my cousin's body shop to have them painted, but I have a little question. Once I get this stuff off the MINI, can I still drive the car to get them to the body shop? ...or do I need to get a lift there? Thank you.

-Seth

Old 02-24-2007, 06:28 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
To answer the first question, I don't know how much it would be to get JUST the dash painted. I got all the pieces painted at the same time. For everything except for the steering wheel pieces, it was $200. At a later date, I shipped the steering wheel pieces and the headlight / wiper stalk to www.lambspeed.com , and they worked on those for me (and did an amazing job ). I think that ended up costing about $100. Finally, I brought the airbag piece to a guy locally who did that for $25.

Here is a close up of the wiper stalk and MFSW pieces:

As for the other question. You can drive the MINI with pretty much all the pieces removed with no problems what so ever. The only one you would not be able to drive the car without is the airbag piece.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
By the way, there a guy that has his interior in a black/white theme. I will see if I can find some pictures for you.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Here is the thread: http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...highlight=JoMo

I don't think he has any pics of the interior, but you can kind of see it in his signature picture...

Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Thank you...that's some great info. I'm going to go ahead with the astro black. If I do the AB/White later, I would want to do away with all silver, and that sounds like a lot of work. I just think an AB/White/Silver interior would be too many colors clashing. The headlight/wiper stalks are making my decision complicated too. I don't want to lose the lettering on them...and if I painted them white, I think that would be the only option...to not have any lettering on them. I have plenty of time to think things over.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:32 PM
gnarleyOmarley
2nd Gear
skitelluride, I was thinking about that exact interior today. It looks awesome.