Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear Aero Kit Grills

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007 | 10:00 AM
batrugger
|
5th Gear
Rear Aero Kit Grills

I didn't want to put the silver sticker on the Aero Kit and I couldn't find anything I liked, so I came up with this idea:

Get two stock Aero lower grills ($40 each) and use the sticker for a template:

Trace a pattern and use a jigsaw to end up with this:

and here is a mock up:

I need help finishing it off though. I have searched the home improvement and auto supply stores, but I cant find anything to trim the edge. I thought that door guard would work, but it is too small. If anyone knows of something that would work, it would be much appreciated. The edge is 1/2 in thick.

Old 02-24-2007 | 10:23 AM
bdr127
2nd Gear
What's the white stuff at each end? Tape? I'd recommend using something black so it blends in....

Old 02-24-2007 | 10:29 AM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
thats a pretty good idea

Old 02-24-2007 | 10:30 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bdr127
What's the white stuff at each end? Tape? I'd recommend using something black so it blends in....
that's just his mock up... temporary tape

Old 02-24-2007 | 10:42 AM
gnarleyOmarley
2nd Gear
I've thought about this before since the sticker fades. I think the black grill will be awesome.

Old 02-24-2007 | 10:45 AM
goaljnky
Banned
You might want to PM a guy named MiniYegor. He is not around much, but he did the same thing on his car. Looked real tight.

Old 02-24-2007 | 11:09 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Nice work ! I like to see budget mods like this and am trying to think up something that might be used to finish it off. My first thought was door edge material like i use to finish of my CF plates etc but as you said its not wide enough. Too bad you couldn't trim the edge from the piece that you used to cut from but I do not know how you could make it stick cleanly. As another option I mention this because we have not updated our site but we do have matching grills for the aero kit now. They are more expensive than your project here at $ 139 for the set but it is another option that you might not have been aware of. I will add a quick snap shot of how they look on my standard rear bumper so you will at least get some sort of an idea. I only have the aero front grill on my car at this time. Again nice DIY job and if i can think of a suitable trim idea I'll post it up.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Standard rear grills

Matching front Aero pkg.

Old 02-24-2007 | 09:14 PM
batrugger
|
5th Gear
Thanks Everybody:

bdr127, yes it is just tape for temporary purposes

goaljnky, thanks will do

Randy, Thanks hopefully you could come up with something. The reason I was using the Aero grill was because I wanted it to match the front. Those grills look great.

Old 02-24-2007 | 10:48 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by batrugger
Thanks Everybody:

bdr127, yes it is just tape for temporary purposes

goaljnky, thanks will do

Randy, Thanks hopefully you could come up with something. The reason I was using the Aero grill was because I wanted it to match the front. Those grills look great.
No worries i understand, It might be possible to bend some thin aluminum stock to that shape, epoxy and then paint. If you used 1/4 wide by 1/16 thick it might make the bends you need. You might have to make a wooden buck in the proper shape to bend it around. Keep hitting the Home Depot or maby a Graingers if you have one near by.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-25-2007 | 01:17 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by batrugger

I need help finishing it off though. I have searched the home improvement and auto supply stores, but I cant find anything to trim the edge. I thought that door guard would work, but it is too small. If anyone knows of something that would work, it would be much appreciated. The edge is 1/2 in thick.
This place has what you need, but they only sell it in 250 ft rolls, which makes it expensive. Maybe if you got a bunch of people together on the project...?

Old 02-25-2007 | 02:39 PM
batrugger
|
5th Gear
A mini2 member found this site for me. Looks like it may be the solution.

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/s...DepartmentId=3

Old 02-25-2007 | 03:17 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
I'm really looking for an idea to replace the stickers on the aero kit as well. I thought about using the Aero grille as a template, but thought the depth was too much. I liked the idea of the Ultimate grilles from M7, but thought those were spendy. I now don't know what the solution is. I would like to see a picture of the ultimate grilles on an AERO bumper, not a stock bumper.

Old 02-25-2007 | 03:27 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
We have some on the new site but as with most web sites its late in coming online. Perhaps someone on here that has a set installed can post something up for you. I know they are out there somewhere

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-25-2007 | 03:37 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Hey guys,

I cut 2 grilles to the shape of the sticker. Then I went to Home Depot and bought about 8' black rubber floor molding (mostly used in offices or industrial buildings. Buy the best one). I again used the stickers to outline the moldings (2 sets of symmetrical templates, 4 in total). I used 2 of them as bases to mount the grills on (also it created a nice black background), and the other 2 rubber templates were used as shaping frames on the top.

I cut out the inside of the other 2 leaving about 0.5" wide frame. Everything was assembled and bond together using epoxy glue (I chose the best quality, 2 component, fast drying glue again from Home Depot). Make sure the glue you buy remains flexible after hardening. I bond them together gluing the edges only, so the glue won't be visible through the grille, and then enforced the sided applying epoxy. left them to dry for a bout 15 minutes and mounted on the bumper using double sided, high tack tape (I think it was 3M. It's dark gray with red transfer tape). Don't forget to clean the bumper from the sticker residue. Also wipe all surfaces with rubbing alcohol before applying the double-sided tape.

Tools used: heavy duty utility knife, several cheap brushes to apply glue.

You will need 2-3 packs of glue, a roll of double sided tape. and lacquer thinner to remove excess glue.

The best part of using the molding is that I was able to create a nice continuos edge frame and, believe me , it looks like factory made. Unfortunately I don't have a good photo, I'll post a close shots later. For now this is the only picture I have.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Aero Kit Grills-jcw.jpg  
Old 02-25-2007 | 03:44 PM
little egg
3rd Gear
I will vouch that MiniYegor's set up is the nicest I have seen out there. I hope he posts some pics so everyone can see for themselves. We have witnessed several people come up to him at the SCMMLaughlin run asking if that was a factory option.

P.S. You better patent the idea before a single letter single digit company steals it.

Old 02-25-2007 | 03:53 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIyegor
Hey guys,

I cut 2 grilles to the shape of the sticker. Then I went to Home Depot and bought about 8' black rubber floor molding (mostly used in offices or industrial buildings. Buy the best one). I again used the stickers to outline the moldings (2 sets of symmetrical templates, 4 in total). I used 2 of them as bases to mount the grills on (also it created a nice black background), and the other 2 rubber templates were used as shaping frames on the top.

I cut out the inside of the other 2 leaving about 0.5" wide frame. Everything was assembled and bond together using epoxy glue (I chose the best quality, 2 component, fast drying glue again from Home Depot). Make sure the glue you buy remains flexible after hardening. I bond them together gluing the edges only, so the glue won't be visible through the grille, and then enforced the sided applying epoxy. left them to dry for a bout 15 minutes and mounted on the bumper using double sided, high tack tape (I think it was 3M. It's dark gray with red transfer tape). Don't forget to clean the bumper from the sticker residue. Also wipe all surfaces with rubbing alcohol before applying the double-sided tape.

Tools used: heavy duty utility knife, several cheap brushes to apply glue.

You will need 2-3 packs of glue, a roll of double sided tape. and lacquer thinner to remove excess glue.

The best part of using the molding is that I was able to create a nice continuos edge frame and, believe me , it looks like factory made. Unfortunately I don't have a good photo, I'll post a close shots later. For now this is the only picture I have.
\\

I've seen the car and it looks good. If you can't find the 3m tape any hobby shop which caters to the radio controlled crowd has a super strong double sided tape commonaly referred to as " servo " tape. A $5.00 roll should do everything you need. Nice write up!

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-25-2007 | 05:42 PM
batrugger
|
5th Gear
Thanks MINIyegor. I will have to go to Home depot and see what you are talking about. It is kind of hard to visualize, but if I see the material, I should be able to figure it out.

Old 02-26-2007 | 08:58 AM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by little egg
I will vouch that MiniYegor's set up is the nicest I have seen out there. I hope he posts some pics so everyone can see for themselves. We have witnessed several people come up to him at the SCMMLaughlin run asking if that was a factory option.

P.S. You better patent the idea before a single letter single digit company steals it.
Thanks little egg. I hope to see you at AMVIV in March.

Here 2 other images. I apologize for the quality, I'll try to post better close-up shots.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Aero Kit Grills-mini_grill01.jpg   Rear Aero Kit Grills-mini_grill02.jpg  
Old 02-26-2007 | 09:13 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Looks fantastic - awesome work!!

Old 02-26-2007 | 09:36 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by MINIyegor
Thanks little egg. I hope to see you at AMVIV in March.

Here 2 other images. I apologize for the quality, I'll try to post better close-up shots.
The NUTS will be there in force. Just follow the trail of empty beer cans and the sounds of debauchery.

Old 02-26-2007 | 09:55 AM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
The NUTS will be there in force. Just follow the trail of empty beer cans and the sounds of debauchery.
I have nothing to say.