Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Should I ??? Or Shouldn't I ??? (Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007 | 01:34 PM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Should I ??? Or Shouldn't I ??? (Pics Inside)

Okay... the mod bug is biting at me again and the pharmacist tells me there is no medicinal cure for this particular bug. So... I'm contemplating a fairly major exterior mod but I'm having some second thoughts. I'm worried it might be a little TOO much of a good thing.

Okay, first, take a look at the Chili Red Cooper as it appears today. Here's a couple of angles to give you a good look (note that nice shine) :

Sorry... editing to finish post. Hit the "enter by mistake".

Now, what I'm contemplating is this: A sunroof graphic that will match the wheel center caps. That is, checkered with the MINI Wings Logo done in chrome, like this:

So, too much checkers ? Exterior checkers thus far include all three mirror caps, my gas cap lid which you can't see in these pics, the license plate frames and the four wheel center caps which are very small and hardly noticeable.

Should I, or Shouldn't I go with the sunroof graphic ??? Opinions are highly appreciated !

Old 02-24-2007 | 01:55 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
A checkered roof is never over the top.

well, I guess by definition it is... but would look fine, matching the mirror caps. Your wheelcovers are udnerstated enough that it'd work.

You can also print out a pic of your car and color it with magic markers... or photoshop to see what you think...

Old 02-24-2007 | 03:04 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
I know several people who are of the opinion that you can NEVER have too many checkers on a MINI. One of the interior options on the 07s is a checkered dash (silver and silver but still checkered). I sa go for it.

Old 02-24-2007 | 03:37 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I saw a Chili Red with a checkered roof today. I thought it looked very sharp.

Old 02-24-2007 | 03:41 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Go for it!

Old 02-24-2007 | 03:53 PM
Suzann
2nd Gear
I say go for it!!!!

(BTW, are you tall, or is your driver seat just happy to see you?)

Old 02-24-2007 | 04:03 PM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by DixonL2
A checkered roof is never over the top.

well, I guess by definition it is... but would look fine, matching the mirror caps. Your wheelcovers are udnerstated enough that it'd work.

You can also print out a pic of your car and color it with magic markers... or photoshop to see what you think...
Nice pun ! Yes, the wheel center caps are hardly noticeable. Most people don't notice them until I point them out and then I always get a positive reaction. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by Agro
I know several people who are of the opinion that you can NEVER have too many checkers on a MINI. One of the interior options on the 07s is a checkered dash (silver and silver but still checkered). I sa go for it.
Yep, that's true, Agro. I've seen the "extreme checkers" thread and some folks pull it off pretty well !

Yep, I just visited the configurator at MINIUSA.com and had some fun with all the checker stuff they have on the '07s. Pretty cool !!

Originally Posted by Crashton
I saw a Chili Red with a checkered roof today. I thought it looked very sharp.
Yep, I agree. But then, everything looks good on Chili Red ! Especially long-legged Brunettes.

Originally Posted by minimarks
Go for it!
Just might do that, minimarks. After all, it is 4 votes in favor at this point.

Thanks, everyone who voiced an opinion thus far !

Old 02-24-2007 | 04:05 PM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Suzann
I say go for it!!!!

(BTW, are you tall, or is your driver seat just happy to see you?)
Cute. Nope, I'm average height (5'10"). I just like to have the headrest right behind my noggin'.

Thanks for your input, Suzann.

Old 02-25-2007 | 12:25 AM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Do it. Do it.

Old 02-25-2007 | 03:02 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Checkered roof is a GREAT idea. How come it took you so long to get to this point? To me the hardest part would be working out exactly where the wings on the roof (short,wide design element in a tall, narrow space). Probably if you look around the galleries enough, wings on the roof has been done by someone before, and you can see how it looks. Good luck. I'd be interested to follow the decision-making process.

Old 02-25-2007 | 03:58 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SayGoodbye
Do it. Do it.
I will. I will.

Originally Posted by davavd
Checkered roof is a GREAT idea. How come it took you so long to get to this point? To me the hardest part would be working out exactly where the wings on the roof (short,wide design element in a tall, narrow space). Probably if you look around the galleries enough, wings on the roof has been done by someone before, and you can see how it looks. Good luck. I'd be interested to follow the decision-making process.
Good question, davavd ! What did take me so long ? I've had the MC for 8 months now and installed the other checkered mods back in October. I'm just slow sometimes, I guess.

You're right... the size of the MINI wings logo is a bit of a conundrum. I'm ccontemplating asking Mike at AC to make it in the same ratio as the sun visor labels he made for me. In other words, the tip of the wings would extend to the first and last rows of checkers, like this:

However, on the sunroof, I'm thinking that would make the Wings a little too large. I was planning on getting Mike's input and/or have him send me an image of how it would look, first.

And... I'm going to ask him to make the checkers the same size as the ones on the rear view mirror to bring some consistency to the car.

Thanks for the input !

Old 02-25-2007 | 05:35 AM
blackie
6th Gear
GO FOR IT! My checkered saga began with checkered mirror caps from the factory, as well as the tire valve stem caps. I soon added the rear view mirror cap. After that I self-medicated by customizing the back of my EZ PASS; it is white, so I took black velcro and made up a bunch of little squares and then positioned them on the back of the white transponder into a checkerboard pattern. Then I bought the checkered sticker inserts for the backs of the rear seats (mine is a cabrio and while these show through the rear window, these are extra noticeable when the top is down) and then sticker cover-ups over those horrible yellow air bag warning labels on the visors. I am not sure where the checkered pox will break-out next.

Old 02-25-2007 | 05:45 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Ha ! We think alike, Blackie !

Yep, I have the warning label stickers (see above), the valve stem covers, and all the aforementioned checkered stuff. If I had a cabrio, the headrest bling would certainly be on my list as well. That's really sharp looking.

Not sure I would be creative enough to think of the EZ-Pass thing... nice goin' !

Thanks for your input. I'll be contacting Aesthetic Creations today so Mike can get started on the design.

Old 02-25-2007 | 05:46 AM
mustgetwet
1st Gear
I agree with everyone, go for it. I say a chili red with a checkered roof the other day and it was sharp looking.

Old 02-25-2007 | 06:45 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Thank you for the positive input, mustgetwet (interesting name).

No naysayers out there ? Well then, what was I thinking to be so uncertain of this mod ?

Old 02-25-2007 | 07:06 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
I say do it as well. It will go right along with the spirit of your MINI. Keep us posted with some pics of the progress.

Old 02-25-2007 | 07:10 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Red & Pepper White
So, too much checkers ? Exterior checkers thus far include all three mirror caps, my gas cap lid which you can't see in these pics, the license plate frames and the four wheel center caps which are very small and hardly noticeable.
Your not even close yet. You need the JCW checkered floor mats and side stripes

Old 02-25-2007 | 07:14 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Sorry, I like my Red w/ black dotted Cocomats too much to part with them.

And I'm thinking about some stripes for the side, but I don't think I'll be bold enough to do them in checkers. I think they'll be black with white pinstripes to match the bonnet and boot stripes. And I think I'll do the diagonal side stripes like Wagnbat has on his MINI (minus his "222").

Old 02-25-2007 | 07:16 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by tdm156
I say do it as well. It will go right along with the spirit of your MINI. Keep us posted with some pics of the progress.
But of course, I will. I love to show pics as much as I love to see pics of other MINIs !!

Appreciate the input !!

Old 02-25-2007 | 07:39 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
And I'm thinking about some stripes for the side, but I don't think I'll be bold enough to do them in checkers.
Dude ... not guts, no glory.

When you get to checkerboard 202, then you get them custom done ...

Custom created by minipirates.

Old 02-25-2007 | 07:52 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Nope, sorry... no checkered side stripes for me.

Those custom checkers look pretty cool. I'm thinking about getting some custom checkers for the boot, too. Only I'm considering it on those two thin raised strips on either side of the rear fog light housing (no idea what those are called).

Old 02-25-2007 | 08:14 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Those custom checkers look pretty cool. I'm thinking about getting some custom checkers for the boot, too. Only I'm considering it on those two thin raised strips on either side of the rear fog light housing
I suggest looking at the existing boot designs at http://www.minipirate.com Look at the 06 designs and older designs. They got a bunch.

Once you got an idea of what you want, email phil at orders@minipirate.com Phil will work with you doing original designs and giving you EXACTLY what you have in mind. He makes jpgs for you to look at and approve

Old 02-25-2007 | 08:56 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Nice checkering Chows! While I do not have your checkered floor mats, I forgot to mention when running down my checker fethish that I do have the checkered wind screen, but with winter being here I forgot all about it. I can't wait for a little warmer weather to drop the top and show it off with the rear head rest decals. I had in down as late as December when we had some warmer days. I'm thinking of getting the checkered roof line decal for the front of the roof where the ragtop connects. I think it is also comes from Aesthetic Creations. I also had the license plate holders until I read how it is a ticketing offense in NJ as it covers most of the words "Garden State".

Old 02-25-2007 | 09:20 AM
CR&PW&JB
|
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by blackie
Nice checkering Chows! While I do not have your checkered floor mats, I forgot to mention when running down my checker fethish that I do have the checkered wind screen, but with winter being here I forgot all about it. I can't wait for a little warmer weather to drop the top and show it off with the rear head rest decals. I had in down as late as December when we had some warmer days. I'm thinking of getting the checkered roof line decal for the front of the roof where the ragtop connects. I think it is also comes from Aesthetic Creations. I also had the license plate holders until I read how it is a ticketing offense in NJ as it covers most of the words "Garden State".
Yeah, after all, Jersey wouldn't want anyone to interfere with it's advertising. :impatient

Yep, that checkered roof line for the cabrio is very nice. Several posters on here have that mod... bamatt, for one.

And Chows: thanks for that website. Didn't know about that one. Was that your MINI in the pic you posted ?

Old 02-25-2007 | 09:26 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
my 2 cents

Checker the roof with out the MINI logo

I think you would need to remove the bonnet stripes

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Should I ??? Or Shouldn't I ??? (Pics Inside)