Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Black-out fans rejoice (another Palo Uber innovation)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007 | 10:09 AM
F15EWeapon
|
5th Gear
Black-out fans rejoice (another Palo Uber innovation)

I came across this this afternoon on the Palo Uber site. Obviously using a vinyl blackout kit is the MUCH cheaper option, but if you're looking for a more serious solution to blacking out the belt line, this might be something to consider.

TRIM BLACK SIX PIECE WINDOW MOLDING
We have the six pieces of chrome molding that fits under your windows finished in trim black. This looks incredible, and due to the numerous requests we recieve for this, we are now listing this six piece component kit in trim black on our online store. We fully prep and finish the new six oem molding pieces, producing show car quality, guarenteed not to chip or crack for three years with proper maintainance. Each set of six pieces comes with new OEM clips for certain installation (press in clips), making your instalation that much easier.... Another significant visual improvement by Palo Uber...... PRICE: $297.00

Hopefully some pics will be available soon... I'm curious how this will look in comparison to the vinyl option.

Old 03-01-2007 | 01:47 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Not impressed.

Old 03-01-2007 | 04:37 PM
PortMCS
5th Gear
Ok, spend $14 from OutMotoring for their vinyl blackout kit, OR buy the PaloUber kit which will also be more of a pain to install for $297 ??? Hmmm.... I think its a no-brainer which one im getting!!!

Old 03-01-2007 | 05:01 PM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
$14?? i only spent 0.98. go figure

Old 03-01-2007 | 05:25 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Nothing like solving a problem that has already been solved with a more expensive unneccesary new option. And then calling it an innovation.

I'm sorry, but if you want to be "serious" as you said.....you could easily remove your stock parts and have them powdercoated for much less than 279.....or painted for even less than the powdercoating.

I say cheers to palo uber london for another uber-expensive, uber-useless "innovation"

Old 03-01-2007 | 05:31 PM
F15EWeapon
|
5th Gear
Look guys, I totally acknowledged the fact that it's expensive. And yep, you could probably have them powdercoated for less even. But by innovative I mean "I don't see anyone else offering parts like these elsewhere", which is interesting since our cars have been out since 2002 here.

And if you're happy with some tape on your car , well, I'm happy you're happy. I just wanted to show something I came across that I thought was kind of neat, even with a high price.

Old 03-01-2007 | 05:35 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by F15EWeapon
Look guys, I totally acknowledged the fact that it's expensive. And yep, you could probably have them powdercoated for less even. But by innovative I mean "I don't see anyone else offering parts like these elsewhere", which is interesting since our cars have been out since 2002 here.

And if you're happy with some tape on your car , well, I'm happy you're happy. I just wanted to show something I came across that I thought was kind of neat, even with a high price.
No one is offering it because they know that you could just take them off, drive to a bodyshop and get the job done for 50 bucks tops......and could probably do it yourself with rattle cans and achieve the same look for 30 bucks (spray cans, clear coat, steel wool, and maybe some 320 sand paper)

The only difference between the vinyl, paint, and whatever method that uber is using would maybe be durability. The vinyl might peel, the paint or powdercoat might chip. But in terms of looks, there wont be any difference. Gloss vinyl will look just like gloss paint, and matte vinyl will look just like textured plastic.

I guess its kinda neat, but its just an example of a company trying to build themselves up as a "luxury" company by having abnormally high prices for relatively cheap parts.

Old 03-01-2007 | 06:23 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mugami
$14?? i only spent 0.98. go figure
Me too and when it warms up around here, remove them paint them and reinstall them for less than $50 for true OEM fit and finish.

Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I guess its kinda neat, but its just an example of a company trying to build themselves up as a "luxury" company by having abnormally high prices for relatively cheap parts.
+1 to your whole post but esp. this part.

Old 03-01-2007 | 06:36 PM
PGT
Banned
On an older Honda where the black had worn off the the stainless trim (common issue), we sanded it down, taped and masked the area off and used a $5 rattle can of rubberized undercoating spray. Good as new and it lasted for another five years of weekly pressure washing until we sold the car.

Nobody knows the beltline blackout kits are $10 vinyl except other MINI owners. Do you think you'd even notice that I had Palo-Uber kit instead of vinyl? What kind of geek would you then be if you could tell the difference?

Old 03-01-2007 | 06:40 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Isn't the goal to help owners reach the $10k mod club faster?

I mean a pulley, beltine blackout and two advertising stickers and you're already 10% there.

Old 03-01-2007 | 06:58 PM
SB
6th Gear
I'm definitely rejoicing. I saved a bunch of money.

Old 03-01-2007 | 09:36 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
im going to buy that and that uber wing sticker. SWEET!!!

Old 03-01-2007 | 10:09 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
But it's not just any black, it's UBERBLACK! and if ya loan me 3 bucks, I can take them both down to Starbuck's and trade em for a cup a coffee...

Old 03-01-2007 | 10:30 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
man oh man oh man.... this is not good.

i feel as though palo uber is under the impression that us MINI people are soo stupid we'll buy anything for any amount of money if it says PaloUberLondon and it's specifically made for the MINI...

why buy this when you can take your car to a body shop, have them pull your own trim, paint/dip/whatever, reinstall professionally with oem clips for less (if you do some shopping) than their retail price which doesnt include S&H

arghhhh.. big fat thumbs down

Old 03-01-2007 | 11:05 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
I would have thought that Palo's kit would be titanium black.

Old 03-01-2007 | 11:06 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by billie_morini
I would have thought that Palo's kit would be titanium black.
thats the version 2. going to be 900$.

Old 03-02-2007 | 06:36 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Um guys... Did the guy that runs Paolo Uber sleep with your girlfriend/wife or something? I mean... really. If you think it's too expensive for what it does then just don't buy it - slamming the company isn't really necessary.

As a merchant, I'm sure that these guys motivation is to provide "cool schtuff" for the MINI community AND... to make money. Gasp! I know... it's terrible to contemplate that someone would want to make a profit (booooo! hissssss!) off car enthusiasts, but it's true!

If I posted a nastygram every time I ran across something that I felt was overpriced based on its contribution to my car, I'd never get anything else done. I'm not saying that I specifically want to buy this modiication, but hey, it might be worth it to SOMEONE to simply buy a replacement part. For example: what about people that don't feel like they have the skill to use blackout tape but who don't want to paint the trim because the car is a lease and they have to return it to stock before returning it?

I guess what I'm saying is that "youification" isn't always about getting your hands dirty doing the work yourself. it's just as valid for someone to just want to pay for a replacement part if that's how they want to go. No need to slam the vendor - the market, as always, will determine whether or not this is a good product.

(( Steps off soapbox )).

Old 03-02-2007 | 06:50 AM
F15EWeapon
|
5th Gear
Geez...well said. I certainly didn't mean to offer up Palo Uber on a proverbial sacraficial altar. Maybe using the word "Rejoice" was not the right sentiment... shows what I know about black-out fans. Regarding the price differential of many of their products, I think the larger world economy has a lot to do with it. For example, lets say these blacked out trim pieces cost a vendor $100 in the States... realistically in my experience, it cost 100 quid in England, nearly double our price. Combine that with the cost of shipping it overseas here, and Palo Uber finds itself with having a hard time competing with the US market.

I guess my entire point is that despite all of these things, I'm pleased to see that "new" companies are bringing fresh products to market for us.

Old 03-02-2007 | 07:58 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Combine that with the cost of shipping it overseas here, and Palo Uber finds itself with having a hard time competing with the US market.
Ummmm they are located in Cali. Somehow i dont think that currency exchange plays into it. http://paloubermini.com/1136051.html

I'm pretty sure the word london just comes from them having Art galleries in london.

I'm glad that companies are bringing new products too. I just wish that they were A.) More useful like wide arch replacements, cool mirror replacements, or other things that havent been offered yet, and B.) at a reasonable price that isnt trying to scam us. I like to see new products just like anyone else....i just hate seeing "new" products that do the same thing that was already solved by another part. (I.E. This product when we already had the vinyl tape, Any of these pullies that new companies are making even though we have plenty of pulley options, the countless new "intake ideas" despite already having intake options as well.). It would just be nice to see companies moving on and creating new things that havent been created already....that would be awesome.

Old 03-02-2007 | 08:00 AM
F15EWeapon
|
5th Gear
No, wrong.... all items are imported in from London, checked for shipping damages, and then re-shipped to consumers here. They keep stock on hand here, but it does originate in the UK.

Old 03-02-2007 | 08:56 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
I must agree Palo Uber stuff is cool and original that other vendors are not offering.

Sorry, if some wants quality parts for the Mini Cooper and they want something different these are the guys.

Old 03-02-2007 | 09:09 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Passat774
I must agree Palo Uber stuff is cool and original that other vendors are not offering.

Sorry, if some wants quality parts for the Mini Cooper and they want something different these are the guys.
Other vendors are offering pulleys, black-out kits, bonnet stripes, and light bars. With the exception of the little spoiler add-on....not much is very innovative.

You could get the same, if not better quality by just taking them to a powdercoater and save a ton of money. High prices don't mean better quality necessarily....that's the trick they are trying to pull. I love that people in the MINI community preach quality and then have wheels that can be purchased from Direct Tire or Wheelmax

i'm not looking to bash....but people keep pumping them up with false claims of having new ideas when the clearly havent.

Old 03-02-2007 | 09:52 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Other vendors are offering pulleys, black-out kits, bonnet stripes, and light bars. With the exception of the little spoiler add-on....not much is very innovative.

You could get the same, if not better quality by just taking them to a powdercoater and save a ton of money. High prices don't mean better quality necessarily....that's the trick they are trying to pull. I love that people in the MINI community preach quality and then have wheels that can be purchased from Direct Tire or Wheelmax

i'm not looking to bash....but people keep pumping them up with false claims of having new ideas when the clearly havent.
I think there products are innovative, thus I purchase them. There light bar is the only one that bolts to the car and only needs small holes in the bumper cover to install.

They also, have a new adjustable rear wing. The only one of it's kind, bolts directly to the car no additional mods needed.

And this new black out kit, not eveyone is as resourceful and wants to go thru the hassle of getting these parts painted at a body shop.

Lastly, when it comes to wheels that is a whole other story. The only places in the world quality wheels come from are Germany and Japan. Or custom built forged wheels in the US. The thing that gets me is that most people here install wheels that are "lighter" than there s-lites but the quality is not even half as good as there OE wheels.

Old 03-02-2007 | 10:02 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Passat774
I think there products are innovative, thus I purchase them. There light bar is the only one that bolts to the car and only needs small holes in the bumper cover to install.

They also, have a new adjustable rear wing. The only one of it's kind, bolts directly to the car no additional mods needed.
Unless you are informed of things....please stop posting them as facts. It's not the only one of its kind

Other adjustable wings available for the MINI:
  • Fireballed spoiler
  • JCW cup spoiler
  • M7 wing if you got one while they were available (to be released again from what I've heard)
  • The GP look-a-like from the japanese company who's name escapes me...they have a distributor here in the states
Maybe you can call mounting methods of things like lightbars innovative...but i would struggle to award that much credit

Old 03-02-2007 | 10:11 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
No, wrong.... all items are imported in from London, checked for shipping damages, and then re-shipped to consumers here. They keep stock on hand here, but it does originate in the UK.
if this is what they are doing they are idiots and are destined to not make much money... at least that's what my mba would lead me to believe.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Black-out fans rejoice (another Palo Uber innovation)