Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior UV LEDs...anyone played with them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007 | 08:32 PM
StJamesG8
|
2nd Gear
UV LEDs...anyone played with them?

I was wondering if anyone has ever used UV LEDs. I wanted to use just a few to illuminate a switch panel with blacklight sensitive logos on them. Basically, I just want the LED's on when the speedo/dash lights are on. Does this sound like it might work? Any feedback? Maybe it just sounds lame.... I don't think so, let me know what you think.

Matt

Old 03-15-2007 | 08:53 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
It will work...

but have you thought this through... You'll be shining UV at whatever they point at, and this can bleach stuff over time. I think you may do better just using DayGlo paints to get that look without the LEDs.

I haven't used any for a while though. And they just emit one wavelength, as opposed to the broad band radiation in sunlight. I don't know how that will effect the game.

In general, you only want to use a UV lightsource when there is a UV absorber between you and the source. You can't see the UV rays, and they can cook you.

Matt

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:03 PM
StJamesG8
|
2nd Gear
Hmmmmm..... Those all seem like valid points. I won't deny that some version or another of those concerns crossed my mind. I quickly dismissed them and thought, "Ahhh, there can't be THAT much UV." But I could very well be wrong.
Part of what I wanted to accomplish was a switch that had an illuminated icon on it at night, even when the switch was off. There are a ton of switches that light up when the switch is "ON." I want to be able to see which switch is which when they're off and it's dark. Any other ideas?????

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:04 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
uhhhh been using them in the stoo mobile for a few years.... but htey are not bright enough.... that's the biggest problem

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:08 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Use a double pull double throw switch...

Originally Posted by StJamesG8
Hmmmmm..... Those all seem like valid points. I won't deny that some version or another of those concerns crossed my mind. I quickly dismissed them and thought, "Ahhh, there can't be THAT much UV." But I could very well be wrong.
Part of what I wanted to accomplish was a switch that had an illuminated icon on it at night, even when the switch was off. There are a ton of switches that light up when the switch is "ON." I want to be able to see which switch is which when they're off and it's dark. Any other ideas?????
and use the second side to power a two color LED with an always on lead. Then you get the lighted indicator no matter what, and can switch however you like.

Tuls, there are a lot of LEDs out, and I'm sure you can get brighter if you like. But they get expensive fast for UV, and some can emmit enought to be dangerous.

Matt

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:27 PM
StJamesG8
|
2nd Gear
Tuls,
Where have you used them? Any pics? What's ur overall opinion?

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:35 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I was thinking about this more...

Originally Posted by Tüls
uhhhh been using them in the stoo mobile for a few years.... but htey are not bright enough.... that's the biggest problem
a lot of the "white light" LEDs are actually UV that pump a mixture of flourescent dyes at the LED junction. The re-radiated light is what we see as white and the UV doesn't make it out of the plastic. The reason I bring this up is flourescent conversion isn't that efficent, and for us to see a bright white LED there has to be a lot more UV power. So they know how to make them.....

Matt

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:38 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Here you all go!

http://www.nichia.com/product/led-lamp-uv.html Now you can get a 1/2 AMP UV LED. Can we say tanning bed!

Matt

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:42 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by StJamesG8
Tuls,
Where have you used them? Any pics? What's ur overall opinion?

the acual UV purple (black light) ones... suck... like a real black light they don't really emit any light...

as for the white ones.... etc... they are awsome... super clean and bright... I have them all over in side and out... they rock...oh yeah I have blue ones inside... and white ones for the map lights... again... awsome...

http://www.autolumination.com/194.htm

Last edited by Tüls; 03-15-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2007 | 10:51 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
If you really want to go nuts, use these UV LED strips... Some combine them with a colored strip or with tactically placed individual LEDs so you have some visible light.

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips