Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Checker and Union Jack Door Handles - Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Sears eh? I wonder why Lowe's wouldn't have anything that small :( Its not a matter of lack of willpower for me, but a lack of finding the right tool for the job. I think we might have a Sears in the next closest city to me, so I'll check there next. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:46 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
Sears eh? I wonder why Lowe's wouldn't have anything that small :( Its not a matter of lack of willpower for me, but a lack of finding the right tool for the job. I think we might have a Sears in the next closest city to me, so I'll check there next. Thanks!
im just jerkin your chain
maybe Lowe's has it but it's not where it should be? the Sears tool i linked was not in the ratchets/wrenches section. it was in the specialty tools section.
if all else fails, you can order it online thru the link posted above.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glnr13
im just jerkin your chain
maybe Lowe's has it but it's not where it should be? the Sears tool i linked was not in the ratchets/wrenches section. it was in the specialty tools section.
if all else fails, you can order it online thru the link posted above.
Thats probably true. Nothing in that damn store is ever where it logically would be. Its probably in the paint section or some other illogical place. I'm going to look around a bit this evening to see if I can find it.

P.S. Do you have any pics of the carbon fiber handles you installed?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:03 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah man, that looks sweet Too bad CF is so $$$

Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
I wish they made all black handles, I would definately buy a pair in a heartbeat.

*loathes chrome*

Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
*drools*

Those are sweet!

Old 04-02-2007, 05:30 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Ok, so uhh, do you have any suggestions about screwing the new handles in? I thought getting the old ones out was tough, but getting the new ones in seems just about impossible.

I also failed to get the wire back into place, but I'll try it again tomorrow.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, so uhh, do you have any suggestions about screwing the new handles in? I thought getting the old ones out was tough, but getting the new ones in seems just about impossible.

I also failed to get the wire back into place, but I'll try it again tomorrow.
So right now you cant get into your MINI?

Old 04-02-2007, 06:49 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Haha, no the handle works from the inside. I made sure to do the passenger side first, thankfully. I got the front screw in easily, but the one in the back is proving to be more of a pain than I ever thought possible. I hand-tightened it as much as I could, but that doesn't help much.

Here's some pics that may help.
View from inside the door:

You've got very little space to work with. That pic also illustrates how the wire needs to be placed after the handle is reinstalled, which I failed to do. Maybe if I print this out it'll help.

Finished product:

Well worth the effort, it looks incredible in person Now if I can just get it functioning, lol.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:20 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
reach in with your hand and tug down on the cable.
with the excess "slack" you've created by tugging you should be able to get it into the "keyhole" of the latch.

getting it in is the trick, it's not straight forward... more like sideways then downwards.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Jeremy1026
Does look great, just need to get it to work

Old 04-03-2007, 04:37 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glnr13
reach in with your hand and tug down on the cable.
with the excess "slack" you've created by tugging you should be able to get it into the "keyhole" of the latch.

getting it in is the trick, it's not straight forward... more like sideways then downwards.
I'll give that a try. This would be so much easier if there was more than 2" of space to work with up in there.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:09 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My UJ handles came while I was on vacation last week. I pulled them out and held them up to the door. I can't believe I, BlimeyCabrio, am saying this... but it's just TOO much...

I think they'd look GREAT with a different color (black, red, another blue) but with the Cool Blue the contrast just isn't right for me. This makes me sad, because I was expecting to LOVE them...

So, I have a pair that needs a good home. If anyone wants them, PM me. They're new, and I'll match the very good Morristown price I paid ($88) and I'll pay shipping.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finished product:

Well worth the effort, it looks incredible in person Now if I can just get it functioning, lol.

Those handles look great on your CR. Everything really pops: checkered mirrors and handles, white wheels, black grille. Wow.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
My UJ handles came while I was on vacation last week. I pulled them out and held them up to the door. I can't believe I, BlimeyCabrio, am saying this... but it's just TOO much...

I think they'd look GREAT with a different color (black, red, another blue) but with the Cool Blue the contrast just isn't right for me. This makes me sad, because I was expecting to LOVE them...

So, I have a pair that needs a good home. If anyone wants them, PM me. They're new, and I'll match the very good Morristown price I paid ($88) and I'll pay shipping.
What about the 'Black Jack' handles? You think they would look good on it?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
I'm still waiting/hoping for a pic of the actual Black Jack handles The pic I saw on the MINIMania site makes the Black Jack's look blue

Hey Blimey, we've seen pics of the checkered handles on a car, any chance you could hold the UJ one's next to yours and snap a pic or 2??

Thanks

Old 04-08-2007, 04:59 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear

Just got off the phone with CNN. They're rolling on this breaking story. Headline:

BLIMEY CABRIO FINDS UNION JACK ITEM THAT HE DOES NOT LIKE!

Sorry they didn't work for you. You still have the coolest lower grill I have ever seen.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:11 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
I just finished the passenger side install. It just takes a bit of fooling around with. All in all the install probably took an actual time of 3 hours, half of which was due to fumbling around with the ratchet because of my lack of skill with it.

Now for the driver's side, which I'll wait to devote an entire day to, since I don't want to be stuck having to get in the car from the passenger door, lol.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotta love NAM - in the time it takes a few folks to pick on me about my UJ fetish in my darkest hour ... my handles are SOLD.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:39 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just finished the passenger side install. It just takes a bit of fooling around with. All in all the install probably took an actual time of 3 hours, half of which was due to fumbling around with the ratchet because of my lack of skill with it.

Now for the driver's side, which I'll wait to devote an entire day to, since I don't want to be stuck having to get in the car from the passenger door, lol.
Congrats on finishing the PS door handle, VS !! I'm sure the DS handle will be easier now that you have one under your belt.

Please do share your "lessons learned" with those of us whom are about to take on the challenge.

I believe my project will have to be put on hold for a couple weeks due to an upcoming business trip. :impatient

Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by Chili Red & Pepper White
Congrats on finishing the PS door handle, VS !! I'm sure the DS handle will be easier now that you have one under your belt.

Please do share your "lessons learned" with those of us whom are about to take on the challenge.

I believe my project will have to be put on hold for a couple weeks due to an upcoming business trip. :impatient
Take PW with you, I'll work on CR while your gone

Old 04-09-2007, 11:12 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have to fly out to Bloomington, actually.

But still... no.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:25 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Does anyone have a how to on the mirror covers? I'm thinking this would be similar for the R56?

Thanks all...great forum here!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
Does anyone have a how to on the mirror covers? I'm thinking this would be similar for the R56?

Thanks all...great forum here!
ImagoX has a great thread on this: Mirror Covers

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Checker and Union Jack Door Handles - Anyone?