Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior PPG windshield looks like OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:46 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PPG windshield looks like OEM?

I have to replace my windshield and I am thinking about a PPG windshield. Does it have the black frame in the glass around the edges like the OEM unit? I would like it to match the three back windows.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:52 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I know many people who've replaced their MINI OEM windshield with PPG, and prefer it to OEM. It looks just fine!

I had to replace Wanda's windshield when I'd only had her for 6 weeks -- she was nailed by a rock outside of Houston.

At the time, PPG didn't have the rain-sensing windshield, but it does now. I have a number of pits and chips in my windshield, and when it comes time to replace it, I will get a PPG.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:52 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine has the black dotted edge..

Old 03-25-2007, 12:05 AM
CynMini
6th Gear
Right on! That was fast! Bed time? Bye

Old 03-25-2007, 05:29 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm probably just unlucky, but my PPG windshield hasn't lived up to the hype.

It does look just like stock.

The day after I had it installed, a stone git kicked up off the road and left a nasty stone chip and crack. It was just barely repariable, and the repair is very noticable.

Then, about a month later, another stone hit, another stone chip and repair.

The stock windhsield would take stone hits usually without a chip / crack. There would be that sickening "crack" sound, but no visible damage. The PPG windhsield I have has had two occurences of the "crack" sound, and both left a chip and crack.

Could just be a bad batch of glass, could just be bad luck. Who knows. Everyone else has commented that their PPG glass seems stronger than stock.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:11 AM
mac020
2nd Gear
I'm not positive about the brand (I think its PPG) but The Glass Doctor here in Colorado Springs offers a 1 year replacement policy on cracks for about $45.00. I can't decide if its a good deal or not.

My last (oem) windshield lasted about 3 years and has been repaired twice for chips/cracks. I can hardly see thru it anymore because of all the chips.
So I'm going to replace it very soon.

My delema is that my 2003MCS has the infamos dashboard rattle that (apparently) can only be fixed by removing the windshield and installing a felt washer.

Can the washer thing be done by the windshield guy or do I have to have the dealer do it?

Guess I could remove the windshield, put on some goggles, drive to denver, get washer installed, drive back to the Springs and install windshield. Hope it's not raining!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mac020
Guess I could remove the windshield, put on some goggles, drive to denver, get washer installed, drive back to the Springs and install windshield. Hope it's not raining!
I like it. Post pics when you do it.

...Les

Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
e-mini-Austin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
I know many people who've replaced their MINI OEM windshield with PPG, and prefer it to OEM. It looks just fine!

I had to replace Wanda's windshield when I'd only had her for 6 weeks -- she was nailed by a rock outside of Houston.

At the time, PPG didn't have the rain-sensing windshield, but it does now. I have a number of pits and chips in my windshield, and when it comes time to replace it, I will get a PPG.
I was told By PPG warehouse in Austin that they don't have the rain sensor windshield, but want a non factory glass!

Old 04-04-2007, 02:45 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
where do i get chips/cracks repaired? went on a 2400-mile camping trip and got a chip and small crack at the end of the trip. inevitable, i guess. thought about getting one of those repair kits from pepboys but if there're routine professional repairs i'd do it

Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 PM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snid

The day after I had it installed, a stone git kicked up off the road and left a nasty stone chip and crack. It was just barely repariable, and the repair is very noticable.

The stock windhsield would take stone hits usually without a chip / crack. There would be that sickening "crack" sound, but no visible damage. The PPG windhsield I have has had two occurences of the "crack" sound, and both left a chip and crack.

Could just be a bad batch of glass, could just be bad luck. Who knows. Everyone else has commented that their PPG glass seems stronger than stock.
My experience, too.

I got my first hit on the new fixed by Safelite - I think they are national. It's not invisible, but pretty inconspicuous.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Has anyone tried Clearplex?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Has anyone tried Clearplex?
What is Clearplex?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by CynMini
What is Clearplex?
It's a clear plasic covering applied to to the windshield for ding protection. www.clearplex.com

Old 04-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
It's a clear plasic covering applied to to the windshield for ding protection. www.clearplex.com
Before you spend $$$ on something like this, call your insurance company and see what it might cost you to drop your comprehensive deductible to $0.

I had $250 comprehensive deductible on my 2003 MCS and just called to see what it might cost to drop this down so that I would not have to pay a dime for my next windshield or other stupid small claim.

It is only going to cost me an additional $5.84 per year to get free windshields for life (as well as other damages that would be covered by my comprehensive insurance)! It was a bit more expensive to do this on our 2006 Cooper, but would have cost an additional $29.06 per year.

Unless the clearplex comes with a windshield replacement guarantee and costs less than several years of increased insurance, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Jray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Before you spend $$$ on something like this, call your insurance company and see what it might cost you to drop your comprehensive deductible to $0.

I had $250 comprehensive deductible on my 2003 MCS and just called to see what it might cost to drop this down so that I would not have to pay a dime for my next windshield or other stupid small claim.
I did that. I had a $250 deductible as well. I had already replaced one windshield out-of-pocket when the second one got a crack from a rock. So I called my ins. company and asked about changing the deductible. I think my payments changed by about a buck ($1) per month. Since then I had a drastic drop in premium anyway. So now whenever I decide to replace this windshield (the crack isn't very visible and I've been waiting for winter to pass by) it will be free .

Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Pilkington is another alternative glass.

Going from memory, they do make the rain sensor as well.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol

It is only going to cost me an additional $5.84 per year to get free windshields for life (as well as other damages that would be covered by my comprehensive insurance)! It was a bit more expensive to do this on our 2006 Cooper, but would have cost an additional $29.06 per year.

Unless the clearplex comes with a windshield replacement guarantee and costs less than several years of increased insurance, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
That's a good idea. But I am also worried about the pitting damage that happens over a period of time from normal driving. I don't think my insurance will replace a windshield because of pitting. At 35K miles my Mini windshield was worse then my CRX Si at 200k miles. So I think it would be a good idea to also do the Clearplex. I asked my graphics guy about putting on a thin sheet of clear vinyl, he didn't think it would be optically clear enough. Maybe the Clearplex is better.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by snid

And now, after washing the car, this happened:

Cracked top to bottom. There was no sign of any damage while I was washing the car. I brought the hose and buckets inside, went back outside, and it was cracked.

My PPG glass sucks.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:16 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Unfortunitly in the case of the Mini I think the biggest problem is poor aerodynamics and poor windshield angle. I think the PPG and OEM units are good quality, but you can only expect them to do so much. My GF has a new Toyota FJ which has a windshield that is more verticle then the Mini's. I have read on the FJ forum about a lot of breakages from road debris. It has less then 10,000 miles and it's already showing signs of pitting. I just picked up a really clean '95 Honda Hatchback Si. It has 75,500 miles, and the windshild is like new, not a mark on it. But its winshield is about twice as long as the Minis and angled back at like a 45 degree angle. It looks a little wierd after being used to a Mini windshield for so long.

Last edited by CynMini; 06-09-2007 at 02:23 PM.