Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior BULL BARS!!! SO CLOSE…

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007 | 09:42 PM
True Joy
|
3rd Gear
BULL BARS!!! SO CLOSE…

Bull bars, nudge bars, brushguards….whatever! I need a grab bar before I loose it! (Deep Breath)

Here’s the deal. I, like a few others on NAM have been searching for bull bars with no luck. I have searched the internet, gone to custom shops, and have made calls to numerous dealers (MINI included) and retailers…NADA!

Finally, last week I went to a custom shop. Although pessimistic, they looked it up in their dealer catalogs. We found the ones that we have mostly seen at the Moss MINI website (2 small bars at opposite ends, see att.1), but not until the very last page of their binder, did we find (see att. 2) BULL BARS!!!

Yes, be excited, but there are still a few hurdles to clear.

1. I have spoken to the German company and have been told that the Brushguard was designed for the 2002 MC. Demand at the time was such that they did not manufacture more after the initial run. However, if we can get a minimum order of 25, they are willing to reproduce them. The only issue here is that it has to be 25 of the same kind, meaning with OR without the horizontal pipe at the bottom. “I” really want the horizontal bar so that I can attach rally lights. So, I hope that is what the majority wants. Otherwise, a split group will have to get the minimum number of each. Is it possible we get 50 interested MINI owners?

2. Also, the coordination of making the purchase in advance will be hard. The order will only be started with an advanced payment. The cost for the bull bar is $223 each. Without the horizontal pipe $190. This does not include shipping. That is to be determined. I’m open to suggestions on how to handle this. After payment, production is estimated at 8 weeks.

3. I am in the process of speaking to Patrick MINI and Knauz MINI to see if they can confirm that this Bull Bar can fit across all MINIs from 2002 thru 2006. It is my hope that if we can get a dealer, or MINI, involved they can come to a consensus on compatibility and installation, therefore (hopefully) there is no violation in warranty or a result that will void our warranties. Plus, if they can decide on a standard procedure, we can have our respective dealers do the install. I am most concerned with how the bars connect at the bottom. As you can see, in yellow highlight in attachment 3, the radiator grill edge bottom is raised in the middle, allowing a clear path for the bars. On my 06 MCS, the edge is continuous. I’m not sure if I want the installers to cut the radiator grill. Hopefully there is a way around it (forgive the pun). The response so far from the dealers has been a bit cold and uninterested. Perhaps if I can prove how many people are interested in this mod, maybe their response will be change. I am virtual unknown to the MINI community. Is there anyone out there that has the ear of a dealer or MINI exec. that can help this cause?

4. Lastly, if the effort to get these Bull Bars imported fails, I have also spoken to a custom shop in IL to see what it would cost to custom fabricate and install a bull bar. I have been quoted anywhere from $600 to $1,000. Until I submit a final design these prices are just gross estimates, I hope. I mention this because, if others from IL and surrounding states are interested, maybe we can get a group discount if we have this shop make and install all of our bull bars. Of course, this would mean we would have to decide on a single design. Let’s save this thought for later…

So that is it for now. I would appreciate any help, comments, ENCOURAGEMENT. And if there are any bases I have not covered or issues I have yet to consider, please do share your wisdom and knowledge.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails -bb-att-1.jpg   -bb-att-2.jpg   -bb-att-3.jpg  
Old 03-26-2007 | 10:37 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
those are pretty cool.............on a cop car!

Old 03-26-2007 | 10:39 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Not a goood look IMO....

Old 03-26-2007 | 10:42 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I dunno... I kinda like 'em (without the bar).

Old 03-26-2007 | 10:44 PM
6th Gear
Yea, kinda reminds me of a Crown Vic, or an Audi Grill in 3D

Old 03-26-2007 | 11:47 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
I think you should study pix of classic Minis to see how they added bars to the front grilles. The ones you've posted in thumbnails are overwhelming to the lines of the MINI and do look a bit too "Audi" to me. They look too beefy to my eye. But don't give up your dream!

Old 03-27-2007 | 12:28 PM
Risu
6th Gear
I like the first attachment. They make the car look like a southern gentleman with a handlebar mustache.

I say, I say...

Old 03-27-2007 | 12:41 PM
edubledie
4th Gear
they are EHHHH ....depends what color ur mini is and what other ext. Mods you have ...the bull bars would look cool ONLY with the right mods and stance to compliment it

Old 03-27-2007 | 01:10 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
They would be cool on a dedicated rally MINI, or if you were going to take your MINI on an African safari then I guess it would work too.

Old 03-27-2007 | 02:32 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Those look like they are supposed to be on a Chevy truck. Hey Matt, do you want those for the Suburban?

Old 03-27-2007 | 04:52 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
I don't mind em either Matt - I like them with the horizontal bar, but not enough to purchase one - Sorry.

Old 03-27-2007 | 05:29 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Those look like they are supposed to be on a Chevy truck. Hey Matt, do you want those for the Suburban?
I'll take a set for both.

Old 03-29-2007 | 08:48 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
I kind of think these make the MINI look rugged...and tough...like a bulldog. I'd like to see it on an MCS...or with rally lights installed.

Old 03-30-2007 | 09:13 PM
True Joy
|
3rd Gear
Bull Bars - Weekly Response 1

Hi All,
Rather than responding to each individual post, I will reply to comments (good,bad, and ugly) in a weekly summary post. Your thoughts are welcome, and criticisms accepted. With that, I want to thank those with pleasant commentary, and those with the creative criticism, I can't stop you. I'm not one to censor, so to each his own, right?

My need for a bull bar was not born totally from a need to accessorize. I just want to protect my baby (her name is Nila) from idiot parallel parkers that practice the bump technique. I swear, parallel parking is a lost art, especially with SUV’s not being able to see smaller cars. Although I live just outside of Chicago, I visit often enough to warrant concern over love taps from the parallel parking challenged.

The other reason why a bull bar is a great option for me is that it will allow a place to mount my future fog lights. I am trying to stay away from installing fog lights in front of the grille and the lower air dam. Based on numerous articles and posts I have read, there is always some concern with properly cooling the engine, directly or indirectly.

I was going to opt for the 4-light bar system by Palo Uber or Alta. But I had to think it over based on what “Wagnbat” wrote:

Originally Posted by Wagnbat
I <3 my Alta Lightbar. Only complaint is that someone bumped the front of the Batmini *cough*stupidealertateminiofannapolis*coughcough* and pushed the bracket into the AC radiator behind the lower grill.

Aside from that 1 incident, I don't park on the street so I'm never really in a position to get bumped (has never happened while I'm driving) so I'm comfortable with that little vulnerability, and would recommend it to anyone whom doesn't parrallel park.

So that is my reasoning. I was hoping this would unite others that are interested, but I guess I was overly optimistic. But let’s see what happens. As it is, I have made a few custom designs of my own just in case there is no interest. And MINIClo, I appreciate your comments, and as a fellow member of the creative field, I assure you I have done my research. I also agree that the 2” dia. bars are a bit thick and dominate the scale of the front end. I can’t do much with the Antec product; it is the only size they manufacture. My custom bull bars will use a 1-1/2” dia. bar. But I will only go to the smaller diameter if I am convinced that it will allow the needed protection from “Bumper Parking”. Other than that, I don’t expect it to save me from a severe collision.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Old 03-30-2007 | 09:41 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Hey, don't take me wrong, french. I do like the idea of bully bars! I have fantasies of installing secret James Bondian weapons on them to protect my Wicked Wanda! I'm just not sure about the angle of the bar, although I see why you did it...to follow the lines. I'd like to see more designs.

Old 03-30-2007 | 10:11 PM
True Joy
|
3rd Gear
Clearing the Air

MINIclo,
I was not being sarcastic or condescending or even negative. Sorry if it came off that way. Do understand though, NONE of the original attachments I posted at the begining of the thread are mine. Those are simply products that were available. But seeing that I may not get 25 MINI owners for a minimum order, I have started designing my own. I can share them with you and the others that have posted here, if you like. Being an architect, I have heard all types of criticism. Again, I apologize if my post was taken the wrong way. So bygones, water under the bridge, and Make MINI Mods, not War!!
Thanks.

Old 03-30-2007 | 10:11 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
I want to put it out there that the Bully Bar is a nice touch, sure, we own MINIs, but that doesn't mean they can't look aggressive..

With that said, if I had the money, they came in Black, and I wasn't already working on Project Rogue I would probably buy some. If not for daily use, then the novelty of having them around. (I swear I'll show that Hummer some day....)

I used to live in Chicago, I would park miles away from the next guy because of the bump method. I still see people doing it here in Rochester. It's mostly from those darn Hummers and Expeditions though...

Old 04-02-2007 | 06:35 AM
nixjosh2
4th Gear
Just give it some time. I think Palo Uber is forging some Anodized Bully bars as we speak in the dark depths of Mordor

Old 04-02-2007 | 07:12 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nixjosh2
Just give it some time. I think Palo Uber is forging some Anodized Bully bars as we speak in the dark depths of Mordor
:: snort! ::

If they're anodized and from PU, that means that they'll turn purple in a year, too! Color-shifting! Ooooohhh... Ahhhhhhhhhh....

Old 04-02-2007 | 10:38 AM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
:: snort! ::

If they're anodized and from PU, that means that they'll turn purple in a year, too! Color-shifting! Ooooohhh... Ahhhhhhhhhh....
Not to mention you'll have to pay $1,500 and sign away your first born child.

Old 04-02-2007 | 10:40 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
So... french_toaster, which are the ones they're interested in making? I'm MUCH more partial to THESE:

...than I am to THESE:

They're very different. The top ones are MUCH less intrusive than the bottom ones IMHO.

Old 04-16-2007 | 08:50 PM
True Joy
|
3rd Gear
So Much for a Weekly Respone...

Anyway, I have time at the moment to make a response.
Unfortunately, I have had no interest. I really thought I would get at least 2 or 3 fellow Mini-enthusiast interested, especially those that have posted about the same subject before.

Moving on, obviously without a minimum order, there is no way to make the order for the Bully Bar in the 2nd attachment. So, it is time to institute Plan B.

It is a bittersweet choice actually. I like the fact that I will be the only one with a custom bull bar. Of course, since it is a single custom job, it will be expensive. I am enthusiastic though. I finally found a custom shop that is optimistic that if they cannot find an appropriate aftermarket piece to modify and fit to the MINI, they can design, fabricate, and install one for me.

So what does it look like? You will just have to wait and see....
I plan to have it installed in time for MOTD.

See y'all there!

Old 04-17-2007 | 04:54 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
Originally Posted by french_toaster
I was going to opt for the 4-light bar system by Palo Uber or Alta. But I had to think it over based on what “Wagnbat” wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
I <3 my Alta Lightbar. Only complaint is that someone bumped the front of the Batmini *cough*stupidealertateminiofannapolis*coughcough* and pushed the bracket into the AC radiator behind the lower grill.

Aside from that 1 incident, I don't park on the street so I'm never really in a position to get bumped (has never happened while I'm driving) so I'm comfortable with that little vulnerability, and would recommend it to anyone whom doesn't parrallel park.

Just so you know, the Palo Uber Light bar mounts below the radiator in a completly different way than the Alta Bar. I could not see any possible way that what happened to Wagnbat would happen to someone with the Palo Uber bar.

Old 04-17-2007 | 05:17 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
have you weighed the cost of simply replacing your bumper when someone hits you next to the cost of these bars? I bet you'll pay more for this custom fab bar than you will just to replace your whole front bumper when you eventually do get hit

If you just wanna do it for the sake of doing it, go ahead, but the "protection" element isn't really a valid reason IMO, unless you want to make sure that you inflict as much damage as possible on the person who bumps you

Old 04-17-2007 | 10:52 AM
True Joy
|
3rd Gear
batrugger,
Thank you for your response. Alta and Palo Uber, I have looked at both and agree that they attach differently. The main issues here are to protect the lights, which protrude beyond the face of the bumper, and the front end of the MINI from other idiot parkers that like to use the bump technique when parallel parking.

rubyred3,
Please refer to the response to batrugger above. I do not expect the bull bars to protect me or the MINI from major damage due to an accident. The bull bars are solely there to protect the fog lights and the front end/bumper from finish damage. Chips, nicks, scratches, etc. from other vehicles that cannot parallel park to save their lives. But, while we are on the topic, I am curious as to how much a full bumper would cost to replace? Just for the part, would you happen to know how much?

Thanks, to the both of you, for your comments. Those are valid points and are worth considering. Basically, that is why, I posted the subject; to get feedback.

Thanks much.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior BULL BARS!!! SO CLOSE…