Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Paulo Uber Stubby Antenna Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007 | 07:48 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by PGT
/\ what happened here LynnEl? a moderator edit your comments??
No Dan - it shows who made the edit. If a moderator edited the comments, it would have shown a moderator's name!
Originally Posted by daflake
Glad to see that you found a way to bypass the swear filter.
Attempts to bypass the filter in a serious manner (LynnEl's instance wasn't so bad) will result in a warning or infraction, so don't test us!

Old 04-03-2007 | 07:50 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
No Dan - it shows who made the edit. If a moderator edited the comments, it would have shown a moderator's name! Attempts to bypass the filter in a serious manner (LynnEl's instance wasn't so bad) will result in a warning or infraction, so don't test us!
I wasn't so much trying to bypass the filter as to show I didn't intend to use such a bad word.

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:05 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
I have said this numerous times - we do not make enough useage of the REVIEW SECTION. Its keeps things short and sweet and askes for pro and con. I encourage that you all post a product review which will help others in selecing products.
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Look, Sir Patrick, people are entitled to bit*h when they are ripped off. I, for one, am glad to learn of these issues so that I will know who to order or not order from.
bahamabart - i completely agree.

lynnel - your reply seems a little harsh and i dont think you quite understand what bart is trying to say.

if the review section was used more often by discontent and content users of products people wouldnt have to start whole threads about how bad something is which often turns to bashing... plus if people started searching it more maybe there'd be repeat threads.

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:18 AM
PGT
Banned
No Dan - it shows who made the edit. If a moderator edited the comments, it would have shown a moderator's name!
not necessarily Haemish. That's an option in vBulletin software- the only way it shows up here is if you put a reason for the edit in the space provided - I've seen it happen a few times on other boards this way (here as well). NAM doesn't have a time clock on edits - one can ninja edit their post after the fact and there's no record of it (unlike most forums where it's set to 30 seconds). Test - Haemish es muy loco

my reason for the question was because the post was apparently directed at Bahamabart, but addressed to 'Sir Patrick'. It didn't and doesn't make sense to me, but that's not new.

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:19 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glnr13
bahamabart - i completely agree.

lynnel - your reply seems a little harsh and i dont think you quite understand what bart is trying to say.

if the review section was used more often by discontent and content users of products people wouldnt have to start whole threads about how bad something is which often turns to bashing... plus if people started searching it more maybe there'd be repeat threads.
I understand what he meant. You have to read all his postings to get the context.

Last edited by Loony2N; 04-03-2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2007 | 08:21 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
not necessarily Haemish. That's an option in vBulletin software- the only way it shows up here is if you put a reason for the edit in the space provided - I've seen it happen a few times on other boards this way (here as well). NAM doesn't have a time clock on edits - one can ninja edit their post after the fact and there's no record of it (unlike most forums where it's set to 30 seconds). Test - edit this post by deleting this last sentence (but don't put a reason) - let's see.

my reason for the question was because the post was apparently directed at Bahamabart, but addressed to 'Sir Patrick'. It didn't and doesn't make sense to me, but that's not new.
I was being sarcastic. Sir Patrick is from PU. Bahamabart has repeatedly defended PU throughout this and other threads. Then again, from what I have seen posted, maybe he really is Sir Patrick.

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:28 AM
PGT
Banned
Bahamabart has repeatedly defended PU throughout this and other threads. .
he has? perhaps you've confused him with Passat774. I don't recall seeing him do anything of the sort. Again, I could be wrong.

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:30 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Anodizing will fade from the sun's UV...

1-mount antenna to drill chuck
2-sand until you get nice clean aluminum
3-primer
4-paint with Krylon satin black

Or send it to me and I'll do it for $59.99...expurtlee krafftid by SC

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:31 AM
gnatster
|
6th Gear
Product added and a review written for this item.

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:33 AM
gnatster
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Anodizing will fade from the sun's UV...

1-mount antenna to drill chuck
2-sand until you get nice clean aluminum
3-primer
4-paint with Krylon satin black

Or send it to me and I'll do it for $59.99...expurtlee krafftid by SC
Yes it will, I know this, however it should not happen in 2 months to a garage kept car driven around 1800 miles during winter months. Also the replacement while billed as anodized is painted. That is my beef.

Old 04-03-2007 | 08:42 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by gnatster
Yes it will, I know this, however it should not happen in 2 months to a garage kept car driven around 1800 miles during winter months. Also the replacement while billed as anodized is painted. That is my beef.
You can achieve a superior anodized appearance while maintaining durability by sanding down to aluminum and coating with transparent black...

Old 04-03-2007 | 09:00 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
I understand what he meant. You have to read all his postings to get the context.
i did read his posts.

If they "market" anodized and you got anything else then its false advertising. It would be appropriate to get this confirmed - perhaps a member here w/ anodizing knowledge/experience could look at it and confirm/negate.

Perhaps it could confirmed/negated with more pics.

Could this be "hand painted" by the "artist" Palo Uber?
You know NAM is a tough place, perhaps at times too tough but at the end of the day real information/feedback is produced (at least that is my sentiments). I appreciate that for vendors; we can be a tough community to please. At the same time, we offer the financial rewards to those vendors that participate, deliver and bring quality products to market.

I look forward to PU's participation in this thread.
I have said this numerous times - we do not make enough useage of the REVIEW SECTION. Its keeps things short and sweet and askes for pro and con. I encourage that you all post a product review which will help others in selecing products.
i read the whole thread...
pls dont assume that everyone on this board jumps into threads without reading the history.
this reply is not intended to be an attack, only a clarification...

Old 04-03-2007 | 09:09 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
if the review section was used more often by discontent and content users of products people wouldnt have to start whole threads about how bad something is which often turns to bashing... plus if people started searching it more maybe there'd be LESS repeat threads.
100% spot on ALL ACCOUNTS.

1) NAM members would better serve the community if every time they bought a product if they posted a review. If you look at the number of reviews it is pitaful.

2) a pro / con accessment - you love / you hate just present a balanced comment.

3) avoids bash-o-rama threads.

4) building a history of reviews per product - facilitates narrowing down selection and fine tunes questions. Also by seeing who posted the review you can PM those parties for additional information.

Got MODS? haven't posted a review do it now.

Old 04-03-2007 | 09:43 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
i did read his posts.

i read the whole thread...
pls dont assume that everyone on this board jumps into threads without reading the history.
this reply is not intended to be an attack, only a clarification...
I was making no such assumption. But, the assumption that one should only address the product itself, but not the company's claims, marketing, customer service and reputation is wholly without merit. If I spend $800 on an "exclusive" "paul uber" (implying the artist) designed product and instead get a rebadged, mass produced item, I would be pissed and have the right and reason to post about it. Even if the thing did work.

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:34 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
For the review section to get more traffic, NAM webpages need some reorganization to make the link much more prominent, and new reviews should show up in the new posts link. I've barely looked at it in the past 2 years and had long since forgotten it was even there. The link is in a part of the page I never look at.

Old 04-03-2007 | 10:44 AM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
rkw -- very well done.. had no idea about the section. posting the update in new threads would be great idea.

Old 04-03-2007 | 11:07 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
For the review section to get more traffic, NAM webpages need some reorganization to make the link much more prominent, and new reviews should show up in the new posts link. I've barely looked at it in the past 2 years and had long since forgotten it was even there. The link is in a part of the page I never look at.
valid points -

Old 04-03-2007 | 01:57 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by PGT
not necessarily Haemish. That's an option in vBulletin software- the only way it shows up here is if you put a reason for the edit in the space provided - I've seen it happen a few times on other boards this way (here as well). NAM doesn't have a time clock on edits - one can ninja edit their post after the fact and there's no record of it (unlike most forums where it's set to 30 seconds). Test - edit this post by deleting this last sentence (but don't put a reason) - let's see.
The "ninja" feature you describe has a time limit - 2 minutes, in fact. If you edit your own post more than 2 minutes after you create it, there's no getting around the "Edited by" text, for the post author.

Administrators such as myself do have this power, true... but we are not in the habit of "ninjaing" other people's posts. A record is still kept of the edit in the administrative log.

Thread titles, on the other hand... I edit all the darn time.

Still waiting for you to try to ninja your own post... it's been more than 2 minutes... go ahead.

Old 04-03-2007 | 03:37 PM
PGT
Banned

Still waiting for you to try to ninja your own post... it's been more than 2 minutes... go ahead.
check it now and get back to me

Old 04-03-2007 | 06:57 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Thanks PGT, sorry I did not get here sooner to defend Palo Uber

Anyway, Palo Uber already sent a replacement no questions asked, pretty nice thing for them to do. Have you sent your old one back yet? Have you emailed them about the condition of the new one?

Everyone, is very quick to jump on Palo Uber about doing something wrong without allowing them to fix the problem..

Old 04-03-2007 | 07:18 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
You must be on PU's payroll...
Originally Posted by Passat774

Anyway, Palo Uber already sent a replacement no questions asked, pretty nice thing for them to do. Have you sent your old one back yet? Have you emailed them about the condition of the new one?

Everyone, is very quick to jump on Palo Uber about doing something wrong without allowing them to fix the problem..

Old 04-03-2007 | 07:28 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
You must be on PU's payroll...

I wish, just feel like this vendor is getting beat to death for very little.

Old 04-03-2007 | 07:30 PM
amorican
4th Gear
Again...

They "fix" the problem by sending a clearly spray painted, and misrepresented product to replace the failed, overpriced unit. Yeah, great.

Passat, just admit you paid too much for someone else's products (that aren't even that great, original or necessary) from a fake artist hiding behind an even less believable marketing ploy.

It's ok, we're here for you.

Originally Posted by Passat774

Old 04-03-2007 | 07:33 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by amorican
They "fix" the problem by sending a clearly spray painted, and misrepresented product to replace the failed, overpriced unit. Yeah, great.

Passat, just admit you paid too much for someone else's products (that aren't even that great, original or necessary) from a fake artist hiding behind an even less believable marketing ploy.

It's ok, we're here for you.
Thanks man,

I enjoy spending too much on parts for my Mini thou

Old 04-03-2007 | 07:43 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
The replacement antenna *couldn't* have been anodized, in Britain or anywhere else. In addition to the orange-peel surface and chips, take a look at the end-view picture in the first point.

There's no way to anodize an antenna and have the outside receive the finish without the flat end getting anodized as well, unless you suspend the part perfectly in the anodizing bath so that the end of the antenna is absolutely flush with the level of the solution. If you don't want the end to have the anodized finish, you can sand/machine the end smooth afterward, but the black spatter on the end shows that didn't happen.

I'd be willing to bet that a quick swipe with an acetone-dampened cloth would strip the finish right off the replacement antenna (which would NOT happen with an anodized part).

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 04-05-2007 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Paulo Uber Stubby Antenna Issues