Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior DIY Clear Bra Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003 | 12:08 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
|
3rd Gear
Ok, anybody installed a clear bra on their MINI yet? If so, do you have any hints, shortcuts, do's/don'ts. Major question - Should there be no wax on the paint? I was thinking of using a clay bar to prep the surface.

Old 05-14-2003 | 04:16 AM
res0zvle@verizon.net
1st Gear
Use Invinci-shield. They have a solution they include with the kit that makes it much easier.
Jim

Old 05-14-2003 | 04:32 AM
FraserBonnett
3rd Gear
Done it myself with InvincaShield. Job looks great.

I used 3M adhesive remover, which cleaned the paint of all grease, wax etc.

Use lots of the InvincaShield solution and the job goes fine. Just find somewhere nice and clean to do it, and take your time.

Old 05-14-2003 | 10:00 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
http://www.invinca-shield.com

go there and watch the video they have. really helpfull. i ordered the kit adn will be installing it soon. i'll post how it went when i do it. it easy, just take your time.

Old 05-14-2003 | 04:16 PM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
Hello. I am currently selling the xpel kits and I am also starting to sell invinca-shield products. I am currently offering 25% off on xpel products and should be able to do the same on invinca-shield. I will know for sure in a day or so.

For installation I would be more than happy to assist anyone on the phone if they need help. I attended the week long school at xpel, so i am pretty knowledgeable on how to install. Or, send me an e-mail with your zip code and I will find a certified installer in your area.

Also their is a difference in between both products. The reason why the invinca-shield is cheaper is do to less material especially on the hood and bumper. The xpel kits and stongard kits cover a lot more area than the invca-shield kits. Also the xpel kits and stongard kits is a one piece design, with less cuts and pieces.

If you have any questions go to http://www.autoclearguard.com and shoot me an e-mail.

For the question. NO There should not be any wax on the hood or bumper. After a week or so put some wax on the bra to make it last longer.

Thanks
Ryan

Old 05-15-2003 | 08:02 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
>>Also their is a difference in between both products. The reason why the invinca-shield is cheaper is do to less material especially on the hood and bumper. The xpel kits and stongard kits cover a lot more area than the invca-shield kits. Also the xpel kits and stongard kits is a one piece design, with less cuts and pieces.

Could you expand on this a bit? Does the xpel just cover more surface area, or is the film thicker as well? And how much more surface area does it cover? Howw much further back on the bonnet?

Old 05-15-2003 | 09:48 AM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
Scooterboy...

Most companies are using 3m Film which is the film you want to use, (last longer, and looks better). Generally all films are the same thickness, maybe .001 difference.

I haven't seen an Invinca-shield mini kit yet, but for instance on a BMW 330i, the xpel and stongard covers another 12" on the hood.

Also the big differnce is that for example: A BMW m3 kit by Invinca-shield has a 9 piece bumper where as xpel has a 2 piece bumper. Obviously the 9 pieces will be easier to install and cheaper due to smaller kit and less material to stretch etc. But you will be able to see all the different pieces. A 2 piece bra kit for a bumper covers more area and their are less "lines" from the material.

I'm not saying one is really better than the other as in terms of protection. Just like anything else, what you pay is what you get. If you are wanting the ferrari of bras go with xpel or stongard, if you are wanting a "ford" :smile: of bras then go with another brand. (nothing against fords) :smile:

Hope this helps......
ryan@autoclearguard.com

Old 05-15-2003 | 10:51 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
That does indeed help - thanks!

Old 05-15-2003 | 11:47 AM
diamini
Banned
Invinca-Shield does use 3M film. We have it installed on both our mini's for almost a year now.

Please keep in mind. Not all kit cutters and retailers believe in customer installation.
Hince the different styles of kits. Some being harder and some being easier.

Please take a look at the 3M website for retailers and installers in your area:
Certified 3M Installers and Retailers

Old 05-20-2003 | 02:03 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
|
3rd Gear
Ok, I've done 4 pieces so far:

The easiest ones are the 2 square flat pieces that are immediately to the left and right of the license plate. (less than 30 sec)
The second easiest piece is the long skinny flat piece that fits on the top of the bumper. (took my time, about 45 minutes)
I decided not to put the mirror pieces because the egg-like shape of the mirrors creates a bunch of difficult bends that I wrestled with for awhile. Finally gave up. (I rationalized - Gotta show some road scars somewhere)
The fourth piece was one of the vertical bumper pieces. This one KICKED MY...BOOT.
Because the surface starts curving as it wraps towards the tire; and the cutouts of the parking light, fog light and chrome insert; this one was a pain. Just could not get the overlaps out and line everything up. Decided finally to make some additional cuts. Didn't have time to get a sharp blade or scissors because it was setting up fast so I grabbed a dull x-acto and ended up making 5 extra cuts. Could have been done with only 4. (a painstaking 2 1/2 hrs) :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited by Sullivan'sDaddy; 06-06-2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2003 | 06:25 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
SD, thank you for that report!!!

I had already arranged for a pro installer to come to my house and put the clear bra on when my car arrives, but I was also considering cancelling and doing it myself to save some $$.

You just convinced me to keep my appointment.

For $600 he's going to install film on:

the normal stuff (hood, bumper, mirrors)
front of roof
A pillars
door handle recesses
door edges
rear bumper
headlights
foglights

...and he'll do it in my garage.

The dealer wanted the same amount to do just the hood, bumper, and mirrors. I have a feeling the pro installation job will be worth every penny.

Old 05-20-2003 | 12:59 PM
Lamin-x
1st Gear
Wait. Is that $600 with product or labor only!?

Old 05-20-2003 | 01:01 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
I had my dealer do it before I picked up my MINI, but I don't remember the price, because it was Late June installation July 2nd MINI pick-up.

Old 05-20-2003 | 07:44 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
>>Wait. Is that $600 with product or labor only!?

$600 total for product and labor.

Old 05-20-2003 | 08:05 PM
amyass
Neutral
I thought I would throw my two cents in here.

The clear bra can be installed by someone who has patience and understanding how the material wants or needs to lay down. I compare it to one of those 3-d puzzles (the really hard ones). It can be done you just have to take your time. It is highly recommended that you have a trained installer fo the work to make sure you are happy with the outcome.

There are many companies out there like StonGard, Invinca-shield and Xpel. Another one you might want to look at is RockBlocker.com. The kit covers the same amount of areas as Xpel and StonGard with their full kits sarting at $136.00.

They all use 3M 8 mil film. It can be applied with rubbing alcohol and water with a squeegee. The only other thinsg you would need is a aqueegee, air release pin for bubbles, adhevise cleaner, clay bar if needed and Scott shop towels.

Installers like Ryan at Autoclearguard are the best choices for the install. We know that there are the people who like to do things for themselves as well. Make sure that you have a good understanding of what you are getting into if you try it yourself and dont be in a hurry to finish. As long as you keep it wet at all times you will be able to do a good job.

Hope all goes well with those who try and ask for HELP if need be

Old 05-21-2003 | 04:58 PM
Lamin-x
1st Gear
You are right amyass that it's possible to do it yourself. If you are mechanically inclined and patient enough. I have installed a few kits myself without training. So it is possible. Some vehicles are worse than others, and I haven't tried a paint protection kit on a MC. Anyway. If you screw it up upon intial application then pull it back up and try again. The material and adhesive should be forgiving like that. Once applied and settled after a few days though it's no longer forgiving. The product I sell is 12 mils thick which is more difficult to work around edges. But that thickness is needed for the heavy abuse if gets during racing.

Old 05-21-2003 | 09:18 PM
amyass
Neutral
What type of racing are you involved with lamin-x. I am hearing that many of the race teams are trying to get away form the thicker stuff because of the compound curves and that they are lifting at high speeds. For example Team Rahal is now using 3M ScotchCal in 8 mil because the thicker stuff was slowing the cars down and creating aerodynamic airflow issues.

Old 05-21-2003 | 09:26 PM
Lamin-x
1st Gear
I am more focused on endurance road racing, rally, and SCCA Club road racing. IRL cars are very slipstream and sustain high speeds. I can understand why they would want a little bit thinner. Especially if the film is on the rear spoiler causing air and moisture to force (literally) its way underneath. The endurance and rally cars are heavily abused in the front end, therefore need a good impact resistant film. They aren't as susceptible to film lift as IRL.

I try to get as much feedback from racing customers as possible. Racing is perfect for testing durability and quality control. They love that fact the we sell the paint protection film uncut for their custom application on their bodykits. Also, no complaints have been received in regards to film lift. The adhesive that is used is very strong.

Old 05-22-2003 | 08:57 PM
amyass
Neutral
Well keep up the good work and the reputation for us.

Old 05-25-2003 | 02:13 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
|
3rd Gear
So I did the main bonnet piece today.

The upper half of this piece is easy and quick. The upper ends where the headlight meets the flatter portion of the bonnet (major concave body area) was slightly difficult. The flat plastic tool doesn't work very well here. The bra would not stay down in this "corner", so I found out that the best tool to work in this area was my very own....upper forearm. It fits perfectly in this bonnet "gutter". I held it there in place until the bra no longer was popping up. Then I used the plastic tool to squeeze out the bubbles and excess solution.

But the difficult area was the lower half, where the bonnet meets the grill. This is where you'll get all the excess film wripples and you really have to work in this area.

I also had to do a cut below the badge to remove some excess, creating a very small seam; however, it's practically unnoticeable.

I had to remove this piece 3 times for placement before final squeegee. (3 hrs., B/B- job)

I also did one of the mid-sized pieces that covers the outer side of the headlight panel. That was easy. (15 min., A job)

All-in-all, I have no regrets. I did it on my own...made me more in tune with my mini and gave it my own personal touch....and sweat.
I learned a lot and would do it again (maybe I should buy an S now)

Old 05-30-2003 | 07:11 PM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
Hello. I am selling invinca-shield kits now. The complete kit sells for $175 and is very easy to install for the mini owners. If you have any questions let me know.
Thanks
Ryan
http://www.autoclearguard.com