Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Bigger Hood Scoop on a MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003 | 12:54 PM
ZeroCool
|
1st Gear
Has anyone increased the overhang of the stock hood scoop on a MCS? or modified it at all to increase the air flow into the intercooler. I had a subaru WRX and a bigger hood scoop helped get alot more air into my intercooler, now i want to do it to my mini.

Old 05-17-2003 | 01:16 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Haven't heard anything about it, but I would love to see it!

Old 05-17-2003 | 01:22 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
The hood scoop on a MCS is removable- one would think that someone could design a custom modified scoop that could catch more air and that it could look more aggressive without being too large and out of character for the MCS.
Right now the stock scoop is recessed and subdued, rather flush with the outer curve of the bonnet.

A possible alteration would be to come out forward a bit to catch a little air as it rolls off of the top of the front fender but that would also affect the coeficient of drag on the front of the car so you would have to make it limited or you'd get lots of disturbed air flow off the front of the car.

Another consideration. The front grille gives air to the left front of the engine bay for the air intake and to the rest of the front of the car for the radiator while the bonnet scoop gives air to the intercooler.

An idea- order a spare MCS hood scoop or get one from a person that has replaced their stock scoop with a carbon fiber one. Get a body shop to modify the scoop by building up the top edge a little and maybe test air flow. After figuring out the right design then repaint the scoop to the same body color or contrasting color to bring attention to the modified scoop.

Any automotive design engineer students out there with a flare for airflow design and fabrication?

Old 05-17-2003 | 01:45 PM
ZeroCool
|
1st Gear
i was thinking the same thing, just wondering if somebody has already done that or is in the process of doing it. I'll do it over the summer.

-Paul

Old 05-20-2003 | 03:41 AM
Hank
4th Gear
I spoke to Diamond Racing yesterday about their CF hood scoop. They said they had a modified, larger scoop already in the works.

Old 05-20-2003 | 08:32 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
I love the look of the Carbon Fiber Scoop! If Diamond is going to make a modified one, then I think I am going to hold off on the purchase of the Carbon Fiber one...

Old 05-20-2003 | 11:08 PM
Ethos
2nd Gear
If you're looking to make a fairly major aesthetic change in addition to increasing the airflow to the IC, you could have a body shop cut the hood and weld in a scoop of some sort. There are dozen of different choices available from companies like Harwood. For an experienced shop, this isn't a very hard job and I suspect you could have it done for a reasonable price. (Actually, now that I thin about it, I've never looked at the support structure on the inside of the hood so that may not be entirely accurate.) The trick, of course, would be to know what you want before you end of with some sort of monstrosity sitting in front of you everytime you turn the key!

I'd love to see someone do a "musclecar mini". Does anyone know what a MCS hood costs?

Old 05-23-2003 | 06:07 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Sounds a bit too 1970s Formula Firebird Ram Airish. Remember its the intercooler for the SC that gets the air. Better to get a water sprayer for increaded cooling effect.

Old 05-23-2003 | 09:16 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
You can feed the intercooler all the air you want, but increased airflow over stock is most likely not going to account for much, if anything. The air has to pass thru the intercooler and exit under. Unless you were able to do something about the exiting of air and speed it up, an increase in the volume of air hitting the intercooler would be useless I'm afraid.

FYI the stock intercooler does a pretty good job. We were tooling around the foothills yesterday in the Mad MINI and saw the intercooler reducing the temp around 150 degrees. That's nothing to scoff at! And it was 80* outside yesterday.

I agree, water sprayer or better yet, water-to-air is the way to go. Even slightly larger intercoolers loose pressure it seems.

R