Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Passenger seat adjuster stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Pushkapa
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, the seat adjuster on the passenger seat of my 03 Mini Cooper S recently got stuck or something, and refuses to budge. The seat now only has two positions, those being all the way back and then all the way forward when you push the button to climb into the back. Is there any way of fixing this without taking it to the dealer? Only reason I ask is because the closest one is about 250 miles away, LOL. Thanks.

Michael

Old 05-18-2003, 10:01 AM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
same thing happened to me.....

i had to take it to dealer and they need to replace the frame

Old 05-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Ethos
2nd Gear
When you're sliding the seat back and forth, is the seat reclined forward or is it in its upright position?

If the seat is still "forward leaning" while you're trying to get it to lock into a position, I'm not sure it will do what you want it to do. Try pulling the seat to its upright/locked position and then adjusting the forward-back position using the front mounted lever. That should let you lock into one of the middle positions. If it works using that technique, it's not defective--that's the way it's meant to work.

Old 05-19-2003, 01:51 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
Try using the inner seat back lever, not the outer floor board one. I had a rear passenger once who tried to get out by using the outer lever, the one near the door. It jammed the seat forward and wouldn't recline back, so I used the inner one and everything was fine.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:59 PM
SB
6th Gear
Sullivan'sDaddy I had the same thing happen the first day I brought my Mini home. It happened several times before I realized what my problem was. For some reason, and only certain times, the inside seatback adjuster lever would push down to far and get stuck on the carpet beside the parking brake. I simply popped it free from the carpet and the outside lever works fine as long as the inside lever is free.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:03 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
I had it happen about 4-5 months after I got my MINI, I called up the dealer twice, and the first person said about 2hrs, the second person said to get the part and install it, it could be 2 days. I decided to take my MINI in just so they new exactly what I was talking about, and five minutes later, my MINI pulled up around front again, and hey, it was fixed. It was that easy.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:18 AM
rudolfensis
1st Gear
Same problem happen to my passenger seat today. Took it into the shop they said if the inner lever (the one close to the hand brake) is use to fold the seat down they have a tendency to get stuck. Now the mechanic told me the way they usually try to fix it is to just give the seat a few good push all the way from the front (fold up position) to the lying down position. If that doesn't work you need a new back frame......which is what I m waiting for now

Old 08-28-2003, 02:04 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
Today, this problem occured for me too :smile:

Old 08-28-2003, 02:13 PM
pooky13
4th Gear
>>Today, this problem occured for me too :smile:

TRY THIS WEBSITE:

http://www.r53w11.com/frontseats.htmGOOD LUCK!

Old 08-30-2003, 04:46 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
The website fix did not work :smile:

Old 10-16-2003, 08:24 AM
letsmotor
4th Gear
Just to update this thread, I got the seat repaired under warranty. The dealership said they reset the seat mechanism. I hope it does not happen again, but it sounds like it might since no parts were technically replaced. It's just the nature of these mechanical parts I guess.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:38 AM
Thechandler81
4th Gear
I had this happen this week, with broken fog lights and my 2nd o2 sensor, which did not fix teh problem...ohhhh my this is not looking good

Old 05-18-2004, 03:49 AM
dennisyvonne
1st Gear
Just had this same problem yesterday. Dealer said to pull up on inside lever at the same time pull the top of the seat forward to make it "POP". I wasn't strong enough to make this happen. Anyone with this problem who has found another fix.
Got my son, who is build like a linebacker, and he couldn't budge it.

Help,
Dennis

Old 05-18-2004, 05:02 AM
jsun
6th Gear
>> Now the mechanic told me the way they usually try to fix it is to just give the seat a few good push all the way from the front (fold up position) to the lying down position.

Careful about applying this "fix" (the good push). If the gods aren't smiling upon you when you do this, you'll also managed to dislodge your seat airbag connectors...and that WILL definitely require a dealer visit to repair. :evil:

Old 05-19-2004, 04:01 AM
dennisyvonne
1st Gear
>>>> Now the mechanic told me the way they usually try to fix it is to just give the seat a few good push all the way from the front (fold up position) to the lying down position.
>>
>>Careful about applying this "fix" (the good push). If the gods aren't smiling upon you when you do this, you'll also managed to dislodge your seat airbag connectors...and that WILL definitely require a dealer visit to repair. :evil:

Thanks jsun. I couldn't get the dealer fix to work. Tried what you said and all seems ok now. (at least the seat is in the proper position now)

Dennis

Old 05-19-2004, 05:31 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
Your Owner's Manual (it was a tip in) has a "reset procedure" for the seats. I apologize for not being in a poistion to get to it right now but it is there and even has pictures so you do it correctly.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:32 AM
emagineer
2nd Gear
Same thing happened to me last week to passenger side and last year to the driver's. I mysteriously fixed it last year. This time though, even my mechanic son couldn't fix it, the guys at the tire shop couldn't either....actually it was making me nuts watching them muck with it.

Went to dealer without an appt, as I was told this problem needed to be fixed due to safety issues and the dealer should have parts on hand. As it was the sales rep came out and in a flash returned the seat to original position. He told me that if you use the outside lever to move seat for getting into the back and then use other levers (front to move seat back or inside to recline) it forgets where it should be. IN all honesty I have no clue how he actually fixed this.

There have been other posts on this problem. Does anyone know if we have a specific order in which to resolve. I am not excited about this happening again.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:36 PM
gripdad
Neutral
I managed to fix my jammed drivers side seatback on my 2005 MCS w/ sport seats. I sat in the rear seat behind the drivers seat with the seatback locked in the only position I could get it into. I pulled the inboard seatback adjuster up hard as I pushed the seatback firmly forward and backward. It popped loose and all my seatback adjustments returned. Good luck.